Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-12-2020, 01:11 AM   #21
Winnie-Wise

Very helpful information in general. Was the wiring identification numbers link given good for all Winnies, or was it more specific? I saved the link but then saw the discussion was for older units than mine.

I don't mind trying to track stuff down, I just hate doing it with incorrect information.

Thankfully, for once, I don't have anything going on where I need this information.

Thanks
Old 03-12-2020, 08:17 AM   #22
Winnebago Master

Neil makes a good point on wiring on older RV----as well as houses. Never assume that things are as they should be when there has been a chance for somebody to change it!
I was a telco installer at one point and a lady asked me to take the telephone wires out of the kids bedroom. So we look and sure enough there are three telephone style ground wires sticking out of the wall.
Stood there thinking a bit with the dykes in hand, wondering why in the world there would have ever been three ground wires run to anything. We finally took a look on the other side of the wall and found they were used to feed 220AC off the drier outlet into the bedroom for a window unit AC! Left them hot in the kids bedroom when they moved! Just pulled the outlet off and left the bare wires flapping!
Better to test any wires, just because they were put in as ground doesn't mean they are still ground.
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 09:02 AM   #23
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upinsmoke View Post
Very helpful information in general. Was the wiring identification numbers link given good for all Winnies, or was it more specific? I saved the link but then saw the discussion was for older units than mine.

I don't mind trying to track stuff down, I just hate doing it with incorrect information.

Thankfully, for once, I don't have anything going on where I need this information.

Thanks
Good for all motorized Winnies. Here's the top link for the Winnebago Wiring Diagrams (for motorized vehicles), including the Wiring Guide.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 03:24 PM   #24
Winnebago Owner

Decided I was going to tackle the wires. It turns out I have one wire pushing 12v w/o the key on. With the key on I have 0. What gives?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200312_161309.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	357.3 KB
ID:	173052  
SaltLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 05:30 PM   #25
Winnebago Master

Missed an opportunity to blow a fuse by being careful, huh? If the other is ground, I might guess that there was some type of small equipment there that was powered when key was off?
Did you ever find exactly where the other end might go? IF (big IF!) the other end goes to near the door or step, there are lots of things it might be like maybe a form of alarm on the door????
Possible explanation for the odd looking key on.off might be the way things are wired so that the step won't go out with the engine running, etc. Sometimes it takes a bit of thinking to figure out how to keep from the steps coming out every time I open the screen door as my batteries are right inside and working on them is easier with the door open and the steps still not coming out!
Better than reading a deep dark mystery, right?
Old 03-12-2020, 05:47 PM   #26
Winnebago Owner

Well the doorbell doesnt work. The step will go out if the engine is running, but will retract as soon as the door is shut even if the rocker switch is set to keep it out.

Maybe I can hook up the ground with no power, ever? Maybe my doorbell will work....

Youd want the doorbell to work with the key off
Old 03-12-2020, 09:00 PM   #27
Winnebago Master

Doorbell on an RV? Now you are definitely out of my comfort range!
Is this an original option or something that looks added?

For the step, there seems to be extreme worry that somebody will open the door and leap out without noting the step is not there so there are several things that make the step pop out, even when I would rather it stay in. That step really wants to come out until I kill the power almost all around!
Old 03-12-2020, 09:20 PM   #28
Winnebago Owner

Factory doorbell.

The step will always come out. I can flip a switch to keep it out so it doesn't go in and out each time the door is opened and closed....

Doorbell is the button above the lit grab handle at entrance.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20200312_221743.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	173053   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200312_221654.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	161.7 KB
ID:	173054  

SaltLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 08:31 AM   #29
Winnebago Master

Neat! I'm sure the Ultimate has lots of options which other coaches lack. I had never considered a doorbell. An Ultimate should have some ultimate features, right?
I've always been more the recluse who wishes not to even see the other campers!
Yes, my steps have had a switch to leave them out until the engine starts but getting it to stay IN takes cutting the power on mine. I can see their thoughts on liability if somebody expects steps and they are not there but it still flies against what I want at times.
Old 03-13-2020, 09:10 AM   #30
Winnebago Owner

Yeah, mine will stay in until I open the door no matter what the switch setting when running. Supposedly the Ultimate Freedom was the premier coach for Winnie, at least in 03..... That's what the brochere said.... lol

So should I connect the one ground, or leave them both disconnected? The only thing Ive run across that doesn't work is that doorbell..
Old 03-13-2020, 11:08 AM   #31
Winnebago Master

The ground would say yes but not the other as it is almost sure to blow a fuse---somewhere and that leaves you searching for where.
But another thought that you may already know about shows on the drawing, if I'm correct. What about a wiring for door lock? Something that you know about and checked? Perhaps electronic lock?
I think this will show your front door and location for door lock:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ultimate freedom40KD door lock.JPG
Views:	68
Size:	118.9 KB
ID:	173055  
Old 03-13-2020, 04:41 PM   #32
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltLife View Post
Decided I was going to tackle the wires. It turns out I have one wire pushing 12v w/o the key on. With the key on I have 0. What gives?
Keep in mind that if you have 12V going to anything (light bulb for example), when you remove the ground wire and then measure the ground side you will "see" 12V. In the case of the light bulb the light will not be lit because you removed the ground wire. However the 12V will be present until you attach the ground wire, then the meter will read basically zero volts.

So in your case there is something that has 12V going to it with the ignition off, but doesn't when the ignition is on.
I don't mean to say that it is supposed to have 12V going to it. Maybe it should not have 12V going to it and a fuse will blow or something worse will happen if you attach the wire to ground.
al1florida is offline   Reply With Quote