Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-29-2013, 05:51 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Brave info

Still trying to get info on my 2001 29' brave engine and transmission. What kind of transmission do i have and how do you check the fluid ?
03BLACKBIRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 08:41 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

If it is a Ford F-53 with Triton V-10, you have a 4R100 transmission. Check with engine running and warmed up with dip stick under hood.
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 09:13 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03BLACKBIRD View Post
Still trying to get info on my 2001 29' brave engine and transmission. What kind of transmission do i have and how do you check the fluid ?
Here's a link to all the manuals for your RV, but the engine/transmission information might need to be from the chassis manufacturer.

Manuals & Diagrams

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 06:17 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
You got some good replies to your original thread, which is here: http://www.irv2.com/forums/f101/help...fo-181320.html

Many of us can answer your questions........if you will tell us which CHASSIS you have. Is there a big blue Ford oval in the center of the steering wheel? OR, do you have a Workhorse chassis?
Ed
Old 10-30-2013, 09:27 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgray View Post
You got some good replies to your original thread, which is here: http://www.irv2.com/forums/f101/help...fo-181320.html

Many of us can answer your questions........if you will tell us which CHASSIS you have. Is there a big blue Ford oval in the center of the steering wheel? OR, do you have a Workhorse chassis?
Ed
I too am curious as to why you can't look at emblem on horn button or builder's label beside driver's seat? Look under the hood at informational stickers or emblem on valve covers or air cleaner. There might be badges on the outside of the unit saying 'V-10' (Ford) or 'V-8 8.1" (GMC product). Contact Winnebago, either by phone or website with your VIN number and they can tell you. This question has been asked twice and much information as been shared. We are happy to help, but you've got to do your part.

Bob & Donna
Old 10-30-2013, 04:15 PM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

Sorry,but i did not know they put a ford in the brave. Mine is a workhorse chassie. I have gone to the winnebago website but can not get any info on the chassie from them
03BLACKBIRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 05:17 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Sorry,but i did not know they put a ford in the brave. Mine is a workhorse chassie. I have gone to the winnebago website but can not get any info on the chassie from them
They didn't use Ford chassis' for 2001, I and others, without researching, were giving you our best guesses since in 2001 I believe only Ford and Workhorse were offering gas chassis. I did further research for you, on the second page of your Brave Manual that I referenced in Post #3 is states under "Chassis Fuel Tank -- Workhorse Chassis (All other models) {other than Brave SE 26P}

Page 7 "Chassis Operating Guide" The chassis guide is the operator's manual provided by the manufacturer of the chassis on which this motorhome is built (i.e., Workhorse).

Here's a link to Workhorse Chassis Guides:

Manuals & Guides

And here's a link to an actual Guide, although it is for newer versions:

http://www.workhorse.com/fedexground...%20Manuals.pdf

Bob & Donna
Old 10-30-2013, 06:41 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
If Workhorse, your 17 digit chassis vin # begins with 5B4MP...... If the 6th character is a "6", then you have the W series and your tranny will be the 5 speed Allison 1000. If the 6th character is "L", then you have a P32 chassis and those came with the 4 speed GM tranny, probably a 4L80-E.

If you want to provide me the last 8 digits (only), I can access the "build sheet" which will provide you more info about your chassis. Ed
Old 10-31-2013, 08:09 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Correction

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgray View Post
. If the 6th character is "L", then you have a P32 chassis and those came with the 4 speed GM tranny, probably a 4L80-E. Ed

SORRY, but the bolded info above is WRONG.

The P32 motorhome chassis is designated by either a "3" or a "5" in the sixth vin position, NOT an "L" as I posted above.

I "think" the rest of that post is correct. Apologize for creating confusion. Ed

Tags
brave