Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-18-2015, 10:00 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Brave 26a Couch Failure

I have a 2015 Brave 26a. The 3 way couch has detached from the side wall. The couch can not be used in current detached condition. The Winnebago couch installation was not supportive of the weight of the couch. Oracle231
Oracle231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 10:02 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

You're still under warranty, aren't you? Can you get it to a dealer to fix?

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 11:30 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Still under warrantee but Winnebago fix not competent. I am going to hand make a load distributing 1/8" panel at each couch attachment point in the hopes that a distributed load will be adequate. ..
Old 08-18-2015, 12:07 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Can you take some pictures of the problem then your fix? So far mine seems very stable.
Old 08-19-2015, 01:14 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

What was wrong with Winnebago's fix? Will fixing it yourself void any further warranty's on the couch?
tim myers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 12:04 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Brave 26a Couch Failure

The problem with the Winnebago fix is that Winnebago reattaches the couch brackets with 4 X 1/8" woodscrews thru a 1/16" fiberboard veneer on the side wall. The screws simply pull thru the fiberboard. As to warrantee, I am sure a self help fix will void the couch warrantee. But I feel I have no choice but to fix it myself. If other Brave 26a owners are not having the same problem I may just have to live with it. Has any Brave 26a owner inspected how the couch is attached? Keep in mind that the Brave side walls are a unibody foam sandwich design. There is no wall internal bracing to attached the couch bracket. Rgds ..
Old 08-20-2015, 12:31 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Reason I asked was that pretty much anything that is connected to a wall in my Coach is connected to something either aluminum or steel on the other side of the fiberboard. For instance the screws holes were stripped on a couple attachment points on my 2008 so what I ended up doing was selecting a metal screw the next size larger and carefully re-attaching, which is what I would have expected Winnebago to do. I was careful in that I did not use a screw gun to tighten but only start the threads. After the threads were started I used a screwdriver so I didn't just re strip the threads.

If you are pleased with your solution that is all tht really maters though.

If you are ever in doubt about an attachment point on your coach you can e-mail them and they will send you a pdf of the cad file for that area which shows everything that is in the wall and is dimensioned.
tim myers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 09:40 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Thank you Tim for the advice. I did not know I could get a CAD drawing of the actual wall construction. Hopefully I can down load the file. ..
Old 08-21-2015, 12:14 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

They are available on the WB website however I would suggest some 2x4s to the floor. Don't think I'd want to "take a plunge" during dinner. hahaha.
Todd157k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 03:55 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Brave 26a Couch Failure

My sofa was experiencing the same problem on the mounting bracket near the passenger seat. This bracket runs from the floor about 8" high with 5 sheet metal screws. The top screw was completely out, the next one partially and the other 3 tight as could be. It is like the sofa had "found" it's spot to be secure.

Since the unit was in for warranty work today, I put it on the work order. When I picked it up I was surprised. I expected to be told it was secure as is, but....

The tech had installed a metal backing to wall for extra bite and spread the upper load. Then he reinstalled a slightly large screw at the top. out of sight no problem.

He also mentioned he had to remove the gas strut to do the repair and he was unable to recompress it. Ended up installing a new strut.

I have not tried it yet, but should be fine.

Pretty impressed with dealership shop at this point,
Old 09-22-2015, 08:47 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

My situation is more complicated than what you describe for your Flex couch. In my case the detached couch ripped the side wall laminate. The repair will require that the unit be returned to Winnebago IA. I am hoping Winnebago will accommodate me on a warrantee item. .. D
Old 09-22-2015, 02:06 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oracle231 View Post
My situation is more complicated than what you describe for your Flex couch. In my case the detached couch ripped the side wall laminate. The repair will require that the unit be returned to Winnebago IA. I am hoping Winnebago will accommodate me on a warrantee item. .. D
Bummer to hear that. I hope they can get you fixed up easily. Is Forest City close?

I, too, may have bigger issues. The floor is soft in a couple of places and the shower doesn't drain because the corner opposite the drain is lower than the drain. Almost like the pan was installed backwards.

Do either of these sound familiar?
Old 09-23-2015, 08:02 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Pros: I like the Brave 26A design and it handles well on the standard F53 chassis, the engine is solid. Most mechanical and electrical work.

Cons: Fit and finish an after thought. Front window leaks, undercarriage storage leaks, cabinets misaligned, sound system and radio sucks, soft spots in floor, flex couch not properly installed.

If Winnebago properly handles the warrantee issues I will keep the unit because I like it. .. D

Tags
brave