Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-28-2006, 03:56 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

I just ordered a Brake Switch gizmo. It activates the exhaust brake when you use the foot brake. Any install tips from anyone who has put one on a Freightliner XC?
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 03:56 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

I just ordered a Brake Switch gizmo. It activates the exhaust brake when you use the foot brake. Any install tips from anyone who has put one on a Freightliner XC?
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 07:18 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I have the kit in my storage bay now, just trying to get up the courage to dig in. The only problem I anticipate is finding that break signal. I'm watching for other posts on this subj. Go ahead, you do it first.

2012 Honda CRV / M&G Braking
bill jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 08:16 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The only problem I anticipate is finding that break signal. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I recently installed the "Brake switch" on my 2005 Horizon and the wire that I used was in the steering colum and was for the emercency flasher. I also have have a Jake Brake which has a high and low setting, which complecated things a little but finally figured it out and it works like a champ now on both the high and low setting. With an exhaust brake it is easier. just follow the instructions that Homer posts on his Web site and you will find the brake light connection in the steering colum
Harry B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 08:34 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Gary - why not use the brake signal out of the electric trailer brake harness? That's where I picked up the lead for my SMI brake controller.

The "real" brake swich is in front of the 'firewall' lined up with the brake.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 11:55 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Gary - I read somewhere that the exhaust brake can be programmed in 3 different modes. One of the modes (I think it's called 'latched') does almost the same thing as the gizmo - i.e. you can leave the EB switch on and it only activates when you apply the brakes. Can't remember who programs it. Might be worth a call to your CAT/FL dealer before you do the install...
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 01:15 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Hi -

If you already haven't done so, give Homer a call - he's a wealth of information on how to hook it up to the various configurations out there.

I'd insisted I 'knew' how to do it in my Monaco, but he gently suggested it wasn't going to work that way (and it didn't work the way I wanted to do it, Duh!), and persistently guided me back to the light... and the right way!

I'm a firm believer in the product/concept. I'd recently posted on the Monaco forum about how I came to become a backer.

Thanks!
Ron

'06 HR Endeavor 40PAQ (Mission Hills decor). All options, but still finding more to add.
ronboc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 03:14 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

I tried to pull the dash out enough on my 2005 Journey to get at the Exhaust Brake switch. It would only pull out about two (2) inches and I could not reach the switch. So I put it back together and discovered that I had disconnected the cigarette lighter (GPS power). So I opened it up again, hooked the wire up to the cigarette lighter, and made an appointment with my dealer to install the BrakeSwitch and the new Meridian ECM. I have a lot to learn!
dcellisesq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 05:07 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

When I installed my SMI braking system I needed to tie into the brake signal wire, (only gets 12V when brakes are applied). It's location is right under the brake peddel on the outside of the coach, as in underneath. Sliding under the coach right in front of the driver and about 2 feet from the front bumper is the brake assembly, this is where I tied into the correct wire. Hope this helps. Jim

Lucky13 is offline   Reply With Quote