Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-08-2011, 06:24 PM   #1

Question Brake Controller Wiring location Meridian 34Y

I'm looking for the physical location of the brake controller wiring at the dashboard end. I specifically want to use the "from Brake Controller" wire that runs from the dash board area to the 7 pin connector at the rear of the motorhome. I wish to use that wire run for a brake light indicator from my toad.

I've located the wiring on the Winni schematics but A) can't find the detail (BC) indicated on the attached drawing nor B) the actual wiring under the dash.

According to the schematic, there should be a 5 wire butt splice right next to the 2 wire butt splice of the CB prep wiring (which I have located).

Any help in finding the brake controller wiring under the dash in an 2010 Itasca Meridian V Class 34Y would be greatly appreciated.

TIA.

offthewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 02:17 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

trace the wires from the hitch connecter, along the frame, and through the firewall.
Old 05-09-2011, 08:39 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by motohomer
trace the wires from the hitch connecter, along the frame, and through the firewall.
Thanks but not very helpful. The wires at the hitch connector are not exposed all the up to the front.
Old 05-10-2011, 06:43 PM   #4

Anybody?
Old 05-14-2011, 07:43 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

The wires are there, at least they have been in Winnebagos for many years, but they are hard to find. I took me several hours over several days to find them on my Journey. They were wound up with black tape stuffed in with the rat's nest of under-dash wires,

Keep looking and good luck

PHE
PHESPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 09:57 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHESPE
The wires are there, at least they have been in Winnebagos for many years, but they are hard to find. I took me several hours over several days to find them on my Journey. They were wound up with black tape stuffed in with the rat's nest of under-dash wires,

Keep looking and good luck

PHE
Were they labeled in any way? The CB prep wiring had an approx. 2" x 3" black with white text printed label wrapped around it. Any clues to identify the brake controller bundle would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 05-15-2011, 11:02 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Sorry This forgetful OM (old Man) just don'e remember - ie Got CMS

Try calling Winnebago service - they have been very helpful to me for many question
PHE

"Questions and Inquiries from Vehicle Owners

If you own one of our motor homes and have a question about it, we encourage you to contact our Service Administration area by phone or email.
• (800)-537-1885
email (We will reply to owner related questions within 2 business days. This excludes weekends and holidays. We may call you to address your questions. If you require a more immediate response, please contact our Service Administration Department at 1-800-537-1885. Thank you.)"
PHESPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 05:23 AM   #8

Angry

I called Winnebago and was told that they are to the left side of the steering column and are labeled. Well after two hours on my left side under the dash, still no luck.
Old 05-23-2011, 08:34 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Can't really help you with the under dash location. You might want to see if the wire is in the chassis trailer connector fuse box and try working from there. This box is located on the driver's side aft of the rear wheels and in front of the basement AC. It is installed by Freightliner and the exact final mounting location determned by Winnebago. You need to remove the cover in front of the condenser to get access to this box. As someone else suggested, it might just be easier running a new wire along the chassis rails to the connector. I have done this on my previous RV and it is much simpler and faster than screwing around with existing wiring and possible future problems. Have fun !!!
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 03:22 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

On my 2009 Destination the wires were not tagged. I called Freightliner (Gaffney) and they gave me the colors of the wires (which I don't have in front of me). I then looked for a plug that had nothing going to it, that had the right number and colors of wires. Believe that it is a five pin rectangular plug. Mine was tied up in a bunch of other wires.
Old 05-24-2011, 08:33 PM   #11

Thumbs up

I finally emailed Winnebago, they replied the very next morning with a pdf showing the appearance and location of the wiring as well as a schematic. With that, I was able to find the wires, although they were unlabeled and in a slightly different location than in the pdf.

Winnebago's picture. The Brake controller connector is indicated with the yellow arrow. My connector was actually shoved up on top of the steering column.

The finished project. When the Toad brake pedal is activated by my SMI brake system, the red LED on the RV dash lights.