Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-29-2019, 06:27 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Black Tank Flush Vista 32YE

Our Vista 32YE did not come with a black tank flush. Has anyone here added one and if so where did you connect to the tank?
blueridge-fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 07:25 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

I have a 31BE and have been wanting to add a black tank flush. The end of the black tank is accessible via a door just behind the rear wheel. Is yours setup similarly?
BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 08:45 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

I eyeballed that up on our 32YE and figured the only place to easily fit it was the end of the tank on the wet bay door side. The front of the tank is covered by the fresh water tank and other side covered by the gray (see attached .pdf file). After watching several video reviews of the tank flush gadgets I wasn’t convinced it would be as effective as I’d want with it mounted there. Thankfully our tank empties out well with very few issues, but I do like to occasionally give it a good rinse out, especially after the granddaughter stays with us … Since I already had most of the materials, I installed a quarter turn hose bib under the sink to use with a short hose and tank wand. Works for me, so far so good.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sink valve.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	408.3 KB
ID:	172000  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Drainage System.pdf (413.0 KB, 61 views)
Old 07-29-2019, 10:37 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by thompwil View Post
I eyeballed that up on our 32YE and figured the only place to easily fit it was the end of the tank on the wet bay door side. The front of the tank is covered by the fresh water tank and other side covered by the gray (see attached .pdf file). After watching several video reviews of the tank flush gadgets I wasn’t convinced it would be as effective as I’d want with it mounted there. Thankfully our tank empties out well with very few issues, but I do like to occasionally give it a good rinse out, especially after the granddaughter stays with us … Since I already had most of the materials, I installed a quarter turn hose bib under the sink to use with a short hose and tank wand. Works for me, so far so good.
I like this solution. I definitely feel better about working with Pex than drilling a hole in the side of my black tank. Thanks!
blueridge-fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 11:07 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Small point to add to the thinking?
I find the wands designed to clear gutters are more what I like for sticking down into the stool and spraying around. They are reasonably cheap but more adaptable as they length as well as the angle of the sprayhead can be adjusted. With a faucet added under the sink and a short junk hose, cut off and adapted, on the wand it makes full, total cleaning much easier than dragging hose all the way.
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 01:28 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morich View Post
Small point to add to the thinking?
I find the wands designed to clear gutters are more what I like for sticking down into the stool and spraying around. They are reasonably cheap but more adaptable as they length as well as the angle of the sprayhead can be adjusted. With a faucet added under the sink and a short junk hose, cut off and adapted, on the wand it makes full, total cleaning much easier than dragging hose all the way.
Nice! I'll have to check out a gutter cleaner. I had a one-year-old tank wand split open at the handle a couple weeks ago. Bought another one and reinforced the handle with electricians tape. A gutter cleaner may be a bit more robust.
Old 07-31-2019, 10:04 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Another point if you get into adding a faucet inside, is to look directly behind the stool for the tubing which feeds it. There may be a threaded fitting that is large enough to add a faucet there which is not seen unless one works to get his head down and behind things? I determined my tubing was not going to be large enough to supply the strong flow I wanted to have for clearing clogs. My tube is only 3/8 ID!
Old 08-04-2019, 06:28 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Has anyone added a black tank flush to an Itasca Sunova 33J (2012)?
br1896 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 06:28 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

I use one of these to back flush both Black and Gray tanks. Works great for me. It also has a black shutoff valve on the outside end. Do not remember if that came with it or a separate purchase. I don't use it at dump stations, but at a full hook up site it gets all the crud out..

Old 08-04-2019, 07:30 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

I find a more direct stream is needed if it is a situation where folks are not aware and set for a long period with the black water running straight to the sewer so that pile of the dry stuff is caked on the bottom.
Knowing the right way to set up when we are staying for a longer time is the best way to avoid trouble but there are still some who don't think about what they are doing and don't know they are setting a trap ---until they are in trouble!
Old 08-05-2019, 09:31 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

I have one of those devices. Totally worthless. The gray water and the black water outlets are joined together. My sewer hose with or without this device connects at that point forming a "Y" shaped connection. When I connect the hose to this it doesn't reach the black water tank.
br1896 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 10:57 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

I attach the orange back flush piece to the Y connection, then a shut off valve, then the sewer hose. I dump black then gray then close the gray shut off and the shut off that the sewer hose is connected to.
Then turn on the campground water attached to the hose connection on the back flush piece.and open the stopcock shown in the picture. I leave it for 10 minutes or so and it half fills the tank. Then turn off the stopcock and open the valve connected to the sewer hose. All the water in the black tank drains out. I sometimes repeat if having trouble with the water level gauge inside.

Now I close the black shutoff and open the gray and close the shutoff the sewer hose is attached to. Turn on the flush water and wait 10 minutes and do the same as I did to the black tank. I do set a timer on my phone so I do not forget it as back flushing into the shower drain is less than ideal.
When finished I close both black and gray shutoffs and let the back flush water run out the sewer hose to flush anything on the bottom of the sewer hose. Since both the back flush piece and the elbow going into the campground sewer are transparent, I get a good idea if the water is running clear.
Old 08-05-2019, 01:28 PM   #13
Winnie-Wise

FWIW, the angled fittings would not fit onto the discharge pipe of the 32YE. The gate valves are too close together and I couldn’t get it in place to twist it on. I tried two different ones and neither would fit. I was able to get an additional twist on gate valve to fit though. I use it to flush gray water into the black tank for a flush. After first dumping the black tank, close the added twist on valve, black valve still open, then open the gray valve (I try to have a pretty full gray tank for this) The gray water quickly flows into the black tank and tries to equalize levels. Note: Trick is to close the gray valve before it stops flowing, you can hear it. Then with the gray valve closed, open the twist on valve, and black valve to drain again. There will still enough gray water left to flush out the hose well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	valve.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	115.5 KB
ID:	172039  

Tags
black tank, tank