Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-01-2006, 08:21 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Have not had time to crawl around under my Adventurer - Is it possible to access the Black Water Tank to install a Tornado Flush, Quickie Flush, etc.? Think I have a major sludge build up, as in a three day trip the Black Tank filled to the brim. NEVER had that problem in previous TTs with same size tank. The dump plumbing does not look like it is conducive to using a hydro-flush attachment - too many 90 degree bends I think.
Installed a Quickie Flush in the last TT and loved it -
Have the tank filled with a Water/Water Softener/detergent solution now hoping to soften it up a little.
Tank indicator shows one green and one amber light just after it has been emptied.
TIA
Old 06-01-2006, 08:21 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Have not had time to crawl around under my Adventurer - Is it possible to access the Black Water Tank to install a Tornado Flush, Quickie Flush, etc.? Think I have a major sludge build up, as in a three day trip the Black Tank filled to the brim. NEVER had that problem in previous TTs with same size tank. The dump plumbing does not look like it is conducive to using a hydro-flush attachment - too many 90 degree bends I think.
Installed a Quickie Flush in the last TT and loved it -
Have the tank filled with a Water/Water Softener/detergent solution now hoping to soften it up a little.
Tank indicator shows one green and one amber light just after it has been emptied.
TIA
Old 06-01-2006, 09:10 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Michael,

If you haven't already, you can download a copy of the plumbing diagram for you coach from

Winnebagoind

Not sure which model you have, but the 33 looks like the toilet does not drop straight down.

You may be able to see the tank from the water/sewer compartment.

If your black tank vent stack is straight you could take off the cap, extend your hydroflush & rinse from above. My coach has the black tank flush feature installed, but I was thinking of flushing the grey from above, but my grey stack bends just before it enters the tank.

I just tried a tank cleaning procedure outlined by Paul of 3-T's on my trip last month. Worked great, my sensors now settle down after about 5 minutes of stopping. Fill tanks 1/2 full of water, add 1/2 cup powder laundry soap to each tank (I used the cheapest I could find at the Dollar store) , drive to destination, empty. Just like a washing machine.
Old 06-01-2006, 11:08 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

He's got:

1999 Adventurer 34V - Cummins Turbo

(You asked about it a while back, but you haven't updated your profile Michael!)

tderonne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 12:17 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Sorry, thought the info was in my signature - Thanks tderonne -
I have the plumbing diagrams, but that does not tell me if I can actually access the "high" end of the tank from underneath the chassis - Some RVs have a "blanket" or shroud that covers the undercarriage - including the tanks - I need access to the "high" end preferably so that I can drill the hole, insert the cleaner device, etc.
Guess I will crawl under it before I order the cleaning device -

Thanks for the responses -
Old 06-01-2006, 04:19 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Check the compartment where your city water & sewer connections are. The tank maybe accessible by removing the metal panel where the water coonnection & switches are. My 99 Adventurer 37G's black tank was located there. I put the flush in the black tank beside the tank sensors. I installed one in the gray tank on the small end. I was able to locate that by removing the access panel above the LP tank. Maybe yours will be the same.
Hope this helps!!!
dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 12:13 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Thanks dawg!

That is exactly how you can access the tanks - no under side access and no access to any other side. Ordered the Tornado Flush yesterday - figured I would just do the BW tank. Also found by reviewing the plumbing drawings that the Bathtub and sink in the bathroom both go to the BW Tank. This I found odd, but it makes the plumbing easier.
Old 06-06-2006, 02:38 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

The reason for both going to the black tank is that many people do not put enough water in the black tank and they build up solids. The larger volume of water allows for beter flow.
Old 06-06-2006, 08:07 AM   #9
Winnebago Watcher

I have the same unit as you do. I have installed the "No-Fuss Fluss" in both the black and the gray tanks. It was a little "tight" getting holes drilled in tanks, so you have enough room to connect the garden hose to fluss.

Only the lav dumps into the black tank. Shower goes into gray tank.

Beautiful Black Hills of SD
Dale Tomlinson is offline   Reply With Quote