Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-18-2020, 06:17 PM   #1
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Biggest blunder yet...

So I was working all day on my Intent, including a thorough cleaning and Treating all of the rubber slide out seals, window trim even the windshield wiper rubber.
It got late, and dark, and I went to close the garage door, but it would close. Kept auto retracting. I kept looking down at the eye beam sensors, but I couldn’t see anything in the way. I tried three times, then, I noticed this, which one can clearly see in the daytime...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B045FF2A-4E07-4118-A3CA-ECDFEE913C17.jpg
Views:	331
Size:	302.0 KB
ID:	173548  
Old 05-18-2020, 06:23 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

You've got a good adjustment on that closing tension! I'm guessing mine would have just snapped it off and kept on going!
But on the other hand, if that is the biggest, you've got a lot of slack left for more!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 06:52 PM   #3
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morich View Post
You've got a good adjustment on that closing tension! I'm guessing mine would have just snapped it off and kept on going!
But on the other hand, if that is the biggest, you've got a lot of slack left for more!
I got lucky, real lucky. Of course I couldn’t sleep well that night, so the next morning I went out and checked to see if they still worked!
I did notice some play, in BOTH connecting arms under the hood, some slop if you will, so I added a rubber o ring to both of the connecting rod bushings to pick up the slack.
Old 05-18-2020, 09:14 PM   #4
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morich View Post
I know, right?

Actually, it may be a testament to the strength of the arms and mounting. I stood under the door, and close it on my shoulder. It seemed like about 40# of pressure.

But, if you know me, I’ll next stand on a weight scale to test the pounds of pressure before it retracts..
Old 05-18-2020, 10:20 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyatt View Post
But, if you know me, I’ll next stand on a weight scale to test the pounds of pressure before it retracts..
I’m sorry that happened, but the made me laugh!
Test results in the morning?
Old 05-19-2020, 08:14 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

If that's your biggest blunder, you're doing better than me (and I suspect many, if not most, of us). Mine was starting to pull a 25' TT out of a campground without having put the hitch pin in. Fortunately I was still on a relatively soft dirt road at the time so no damage to anything but my pride, but it could have been much worse.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 09:20 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Since we're sharing, I'll add mine.

Many years ago in my first Class C, I welded scissor jacks to all four corners to cut down on the rocking.
One Sunday afternoon at a very crowded San Diego beach site, I decided to go hit the dump station after the line died down. I put away the awning and moved all the chairs and stuff away from the RV and proceeded to back down off my large wood leveling ramps.
I heard, as well as the rest of the campground, a horrible, unidentifiable noise as I moved backwards. It took me a minute to realize that it was metal - being ripped apart. I forgot to crank up my scissor jacks!
All four had bent to about 45 degrees. Luckily, they were still functional and I could crank them up to the frame and drive home a few days later. So embarrassed!!
I was able to fix them by lowering the rear til they hit the ground solid, then drive forward until they grabbed and started to bend back into position. This took a few tries to get them correct.
The front was a bit easier. Head-on into the curb/gutter with the jacks down into the curb, then hit the gas! I kept pushing until a friend said they were straight up and down, as the front end was completely off the ground.

Now I keep a colored strap clipped to the steering wheel whenever the jacks are down or plugged in to power at home to remind me to GO CHECK THINGS!
Old 05-19-2020, 10:08 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
If that's your biggest blunder, you're doing better than me (and I suspect many, if not most, of us). Mine was starting to pull a 25' TT out of a campground without having put the hitch pin in. Fortunately I was still on a relatively soft dirt road at the time so no damage to anything but my pride, but it could have been much worse.
I take it back, my biggest blunder was starting to tow my toad with the emergency brake on. Once I figured out why everyone was honking at me and saw the smoke from the shredded tire, I was able to pull over and install my spare. Fortunately, except for the tire, there was no long-term damage and I was close to home.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 12:13 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

I did a blunder once--I thought I'd done something wrong but it turned out I hadn't! ;-)

Seriously, I'm not sure what my biggest blunder was. My dad's was driving into a gas station and ripping the AC off the top off our Revcon MH. Ouch!

I've had some close calls towing. The worst was circling a Ranger's office to see if they were inside and not noticing how close I came to their roof with my trailer. It was only inches to spare.
Old 05-19-2020, 12:24 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

What I told the Boss? The only guys making mistakes are the ones that are doing something! He got the idea and said no more!
I've found if we are not screwing up occasionally we are not hitting it to our full potential!
I just try not to make the same mistake twice, but I'm not admitting how often I find new tricks.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 12:49 PM   #11
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodspike View Post
I did a blunder once--I thought I'd done something wrong but it turned out I hadn't! ;-)

Seriously, I'm not sure what my biggest blunder was. My dad's was driving into a gas station and ripping the AC off the top off our Revcon MH. Ouch!

I've had some close calls towing. The worst was circling a Ranger's office to see if they were inside and not noticing how close I came to their roof with my trailer. It was only inches to spare.
On our first shake down trip to Petaluma, we were staying the night at a friends house the first night, heading to a local KOA. Wanted to be relatively close to assistance in case anything went wrong.

So of course we arrived late—after dark. My wife pops out to say hi to our friends, and doesn’t notice this giant oak tree limb as she’s telling me to back up.

Almost hit a limb on day one.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	6BD7AC78-DC1F-4AE5-8C70-4F8E8EAEC1C3.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	555.1 KB
ID:	173560  
Old 05-19-2020, 01:44 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

Not RV related, but could be travel related (remote area) and it's from today's news and reminded me of this thread.

https://komonews.com/news/local/driv...-closure-signs
Old 05-19-2020, 02:58 PM   #13
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
Not RV related, but could be travel related (remote area) and it's from today's news and reminded me of this thread.

Wonder if the rock slide happened while he was driving? Anyway, I’ll bet they wish now they’d have bought a Jeep...
Old 05-19-2020, 04:50 PM   #14
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
So I was working all day on my Intent, including a thorough cleaning and Treating all of the rubber slide out seals, window trim even the windshield wiper rubber.
It got late, and dark, and I went to close the garage door, but it would close. Kept auto retracting. I kept looking down at the eye beam sensors, but I couldn’t see anything in the way. I tried three times, then, I noticed this, which one can clearly see in the daytime...
FUNNY How come you bring out the BEST in ME... Yes, I could do this!
K9AEG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 05:25 PM   #15
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by K9AEG View Post
FUNNY How come you bring out the BEST in ME... Yes, I could do this!
I hope not...
Old 05-19-2020, 05:37 PM   #16
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
I hope not...
Old 05-25-2020, 04:39 AM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Lucky your wiper arm held up. Sounds like something I'd do. Had my first motor home a few days when I backed up and hit my garage wall and totaled my roof ladder.
jbrattain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 05:28 AM   #18
Winnie-Wise

Quote:

That reminds me of my 1st UTV side x side ride with my Arctic Cat Wildcat this year in Arizona. Had to back up to take on the washed out V hill squarely.. As some of you know who rides these off-road vehicles, you need to hit a washed out hill trail squarely or face a rollover.

Well I back the ol girl up without looking back and placed it squarely on top of a flat rock. Yep, could have changed all 4 tires without a jack!!!

Good think I had a winch, so was just a matter of winching it back on her feet again.
Old 05-25-2020, 05:32 AM   #19
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrattain View Post
Lucky your wiper arm held up. Sounds like something I'd do. Had my first motor home a few days when I backed up and hit my garage wall and totaled my roof ladder.
My class C without a backup camera, I managed to put a new design in my sisterliness's rain gutter.
Old 05-25-2020, 08:14 AM   #20
Site Team

Just this little thing... it only cost $26,000 to repair the damage:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2BE7DB51-7067-4B92-87EC-60624C4F9154.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	337.1 KB
ID:	173616