Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-29-2020, 09:37 PM   #41
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
Not a blunder, but an information piece.

Several years ago DW and I went out shopping. When we returned the garage door would not open. Went through the front door and into the garage. The entry to the garage had an inside hollow door. Sticking in the door was the shank to the pulley on the line to the garage door spring system. The spring on the garage door was hanging down.

The shank of the pulley embedded in the door was head high with me standing next to it.

Just imagine!

Garage door installer said that the spring should be replaced occasionally. He told me the length of time but since then I have a screw drive system.

Be careful, be safe.
Glad you survived that one! OMG, that could have been tragic.

Yes, the more popular side mounted direct gear drive is the way to go when updating. Thwarts break-ins as well.
Old 07-29-2020, 10:27 PM   #42
Winnebago Master

I had a 12-15 year hiatus and just recently got back on 2m and 70cm. I don't think I'm going to go HF. I have a hotspot and can go DRM.

Hmmm! If any of these acronyms are throwing people for a loop - they are HAM Radio acronyms.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 03:42 AM   #43
Winnebago Owner

Since we're sharing blunders...

A number of years ago we were transporting our late lab Rosie's ashes to her favorite campground with the purposes of spreading her ashes along some spots on her favorite trail.

When putting out the curbside slide we heard a loud crack and thought we had slide problems. Turns out poor Rosie's plastic case got smashed in the slide and a bit of her ashes got distributed in another of her favorite places....the RV itself.

The rest of her got spread at the aforementioned spots and we visit often..always with a bit of a laugh at this faux pas of ours.
Old 07-30-2020, 07:39 AM   #44
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
I had a 12-15 year hiatus and just recently got back on 2m and 70cm. I don't think I'm going to go HF. I have a hotspot and can go DRM.

Hmmm! If any of these acronyms are throwing people for a loop - they are HAM Radio acronyms.
Ok understandable with hotspots. 6-7 months I too am on hotspots. The digital modes I use just use my HD Yaesu 857. So I can just let it run without using data.
K9AEG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 11:40 AM   #45
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by davismills View Post
Since we're sharing blunders...

A number of years ago we were transporting our late lab Rosie's ashes to her favorite campground with the purposes of spreading her ashes along some spots on her favorite trail.

When putting out the curbside slide we heard a loud crack and thought we had slide problems. Turns out poor Rosie's plastic case got smashed in the slide and a bit of her ashes got distributed in another of her favorite places....the RV itself.

The rest of her got spread at the aforementioned spots and we visit often..always with a bit of a laugh at this faux pas of ours.
Actually, sounds like it was meant to be. Sorry for your loss of Rosie.
Old 09-04-2020, 09:24 PM   #46
Proud “No Intent” Owner

This just happened to me...

So, guess what happens when you’re back flushing your black tank, and get distracted by a fellow camper? Seriously, guess what happens, I was surprised...
Old 09-05-2020, 07:27 AM   #47
Winnie-Wise

I don't even want to guess!

Are you OK?
Old 09-07-2020, 11:36 PM   #48
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by K9AEG View Post
I don't even want to guess!

Are you OK?
I’m fine but there’s the backstory to this (thanks for asking).

I was hoping to get more thoughts on what others might think would happen. Because what happened to me was not what I thought would happen.

So I’m back flushing my black tank, for the third time, and it’s getting pretty clean but not quite—one one more shot. Then this guy comes up and wants air in his tire for his electric bike, so I was about to fill my tires anyways, and I attempted to work on his and when I got back to mine, there was water pouring over the top of my RV down on my head.

I thought well, maybe it’s because my tire is low now, all the water is running off the roof onto me , but it kept pouring and pouring, and then I remembered oh crap (no pun intended), I was back flushing the black tank.

So I ran out and pulled the valve to release the black tank flush, and immediately ran in to see the damage. To my surprise there was absolutely none. Which means that Winnebago did a good job of sealing the toilet, and the seal in the toilet held well enough to force the water up to the roof out the breather cap.

I dodged a bullet. Lesson learned. Another biggest blunder in the books...
Old 09-08-2020, 06:44 AM   #49
Winnie-Wise

Wow yes to all of this and comment. I often forget started projects my self. And as I get older (like to believe, more mature), seem as thought I try and get more projects going at one time, and then forget about one of them, and yes I could have water flowing off the top of my RV also.!!! Well at least if the manual says to wash vent pipe every 12 months, you can now check that off.
Old 09-11-2020, 09:01 AM   #50
Winnebago Watcher

We all hate that we do some of these things, but at least were able to shake our heads and laugh about it later! Lord knows I have done my fair share!!
TimJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 01:25 PM   #51
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyatt View Post
I got lucky, real lucky. Of course I couldn’t sleep well that night, so the next morning I went out and checked to see if they still worked!
I did notice some play, in BOTH connecting arms under the hood, some slop if you will, so I added a rubber o ring to both of the connecting rod bushings to pick up the slack.
I agree that these are built better than my former 2018 FR Georgetown 31L5 Gasser. Went out one winter day after a snowstorm... Heavy snow maybe about a foot or so and found the windshield wiper arm snapped off at the base and the other one cracked. Called the NE FR rep. and he had them send me a new set without a fight. I wondered if there was more behind the story.
1237dmctlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 02:05 PM   #52
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1237dmctlc View Post
I agree that these are built better than my former 2018 FR Georgetown 31L5 Gasser. Went out one winter day after a snowstorm... Heavy snow maybe about a foot or so and found the windshield wiper arm snapped off at the base and the other one cracked. Called the NE FR rep. and he had them send me a new set without a fight. I wondered if there was more behind the story.
Funny you say that about the Georgetown. Last campground I was parked next to a giant and I mean giant Georgetown XL. The owner happen to own an RV repair shop, and he said as beautiful as it is, and it was beautiful, he said it was a piece of crap, and that everything was always breaking on it.
Old 09-11-2020, 04:19 PM   #53
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyatt View Post
Funny you say that about the Georgetown. Last campground I was parked next to a giant and I mean giant Georgetown XL. The owner happen to own an RV repair shop, and he said as beautiful as it is, and it was beautiful, he said it was a piece of crap, and that everything was always breaking on it.
I agree 100% with you. Bought a brand new 2018 3 years ago and nothing but problems. Hoping buying used is better most of the issues are behind me with the Winnebago Forza. Quality looks better but of course cost is a lot more so you hope so. Though its already been in for the awning and now the levelers...time we tell . Like many have said you better be either rich or handy to own an RV today....I'm glad I'm handy.
1237dmctlc is offline   Reply With Quote