Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-08-2020, 06:11 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Bedroom TV

Have a 16 Vista 31KE, it looks like you can add a TV.
It has 110 outlet and coax connection and something that may be for mount. Anybody make this upgrade and help me through the project?

John B
jkbpeavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 07:31 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

We have a 2014 Sunstar 31KE. The PO apparently installed a 24" Vizio where you are talking about, Rather than the custom black sheet metal style bracket used on the front TV, this one is mounted on a piece of black particle board, I think.

SLOweather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 09:43 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

We have a 2015 Vista 31KE which has much the same connections but what I see in your picture makes me think they have also added something like a sheet of 1/2 inch plywood to make the wall stronger as well as it looks like they may have moved the 110 AC outlet down to come out under the TV as our original has that outlet up high ( headache height?)
Considering how low value we place in TV, we decided to avoid restricting the space between the end of the bed and the wall. For anybody looking at this wall, it might help to keep in mind that it is a pretty flimsy wall which seems to be there mostly as a chase for wires running up from underneath.
A different approach to making the wall stronger might be to remove the current thin ply and either add more framing inside the wall or use thicker plywood. I've found RV are very easy to tease this type panel off and then replace it as they are often just held with very weak staples. Taking time and gently teasing the fasteners out can get it done without damage and then a simple hand held stapler can reattach the thin stuff. For the trim, I tease it off and then reattach with adhesive and assume it will not be done again.
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 04:45 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

I just took a peek in ours, without totally removing the TV and paneling. Behind the panel is a typical Winnebago 1x1 and 1x2 stapled together frame.

The P.O. or his minions apparently removed the paneling, and added a piece of 3/4" MDF in the frame where the TV is mounted. It's secured with screws and cleats.

The slab mount for the TV is screwed through the panel to the MDF. The panel is reattached to the bath wall and closet wall with TTS (too-tiny-screws). A couple of them are stripped. I think I'll replace them.

I may just remove the TV. We don't watch it back there, It's just connected to the outside antenna, (not the Wally), and we could use the weight saving. It is, however a smart TV and connected to the moho WiFi, so other things can be watched on it...
Old 03-10-2020, 08:17 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Here's what ours looks like with the TV removed. As Morich surmised, you can see that the P.O. moved the outlets.

Since I'm this far along, I might as well remove the paneling and get a picture of the interior.
Old 03-10-2020, 10:06 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Wow! demonstration of how pictures can mislead us. Looking at those two pictures, it might be that w are seeing two different RV! I had to go back to see that they were both the same poster, as they look so different. One looked light something like maple, while the second looks more like mahogany and the angles look changed as well.
Good thing I'm not trying to troubleshoot something there!
Meanwhile one might try to get a better idea of the framing by running something stiff, like a wire back in each direction from the holes and find where the framing is in that area? Is it just picture or is the panel almost a 1/2 inch thick? If that thick, I might just add a second layer to firm up the wall a bit and hang the TV. I would have guessed my panel to be more like 1/8 by only the feel of it as it is pretty flexible.
Directly screwing into framing is nice but if it gets too hard, something like mollies or toggle bolts will hold good on 1/2 inch or so.
My wife fights me on any changes that alter the look of the wall but you are already pretty far down that road.
Old 03-10-2020, 10:44 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

OK, I pulled the wall panel away and got some pics for the record of the interior of that wall in this vintage 31KE.

The 1x stapled framing is the original Winnebago construction. The MDF panels and screwed in cleats are the P.O's work. The black tank vent stack is in the back right corner of this space as you look at the pictures, or, more technically correct in ref to the vehicle, the left front corner

Old 03-10-2020, 02:12 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

My, my, folks do seem to make some odd choices at times. When we mod an RV we might often think of weight and also we want things well made/ strong? So what do we get with particle board but the heaviest stuff around with the worth screw holding! A nice little 1X4 would hold better and much lighter. Particle board is best left for knock down furniture that we only want to use for a couple years.
Lots of personal choice on what to go back with, so consider this only as what I like.
Not going to come by to see what you like or do!
I would take the particle board out then to make a secure spot for mounting screws, I would add something like a 1X4, etc of solid wood between the two uprights. Rather than try nailing, etc. on a thin wall, I would use a good quality glue meant for woodwork, like Elmers, etc. , glue the cross piece in at the ends and then when putting the plywood cover back, glue it to all the framing including the new wood. What you get then is a form of box beam which is very sturdy and solid as the glue works down into the fibers and melds them so they are almost a solid item. A good glue joint will often rip the wood apart before failing.
Do keep in mind that you want to add anything else before glue as it's going to take a bear to get it open next time! Just my way.
Old 03-16-2020, 09:05 AM   #9
DonMcF

John,
I am the 3rd owner of a 2016 31KE, which I acquired in December 2019. It has a tv installed in the bedroom using the factory hook ups. I have not looked closely at how the installation was made, but it does seem sturdy. I can take a closer look and advise if you’re still interested.
Don
Donmcf is offline   Reply With Quote