Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-13-2020, 07:14 AM   #1
Happy Camper

Battery upgrade

I own a 2015 Itasca Sunova 35G and want to replace the two house batteries with three deep cell batteries of the same size and amperage and relocate the engine battery to another compartment in a battery box. I also want to upgrade the inverter from a 1000 watt to a 2000 watt unit. I will be upgrading the battery wire size and 120 Volt AC wiring and breaker to 20 Amp from the existing panel to the new inverter and installing a sub panel next to the new inverter to install 15 amp breakers to handle the existing power needs. The space I have now for my 1000 watt inverter will accommodate a Xantrex Freedom X2000 unit without a built-in battery charger. (The size of a Xantrex inverter with a battery charger is too large to fit where the existing inverter is.) The present battery charger is located under the rear bed. My question is do I also need to increase the battery charger to a higher output amperage as well as the wires from the charger to the batteries? What size battery charger do I need for the additional house battery?
fkempf216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 06:17 PM   #2

Did you complete your project?

How do you like the Xantrex Freedom 2000 Inverter?

What charger did you to with?

Do you have picture of the battery cable connections and/or any other part of your project?

What tips can you share?
imnprsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 06:27 AM   #3
Happy Camper

So far I'm in the planning stage. I will however share with you what I did.
Old 08-28-2020, 12:35 PM   #4

Maybe these charts will help you with your planning.

** My 50A Power Grid is slightly different than an RV system setup for 30A Power Grid and transfer switch.

** The so called 30A service is really 50A on L1. They call it 30A, because your coach wiring and circuit breakers are setup for 30A/20A/15A protection... based on your appliance loads. So you don't need to change anything there. However, when it comes to battery cable wire, it's always best to use 2/0 (00) or thicker... depending on the length of the battery cable.

** Also, when you connect your batteries together it's real important that all your 8" or 9" connecting cables are the same length. ...And you need to properly connect (position) your battery cables; I.e., choose the farthest connection point and you will be good-to-go.

** Coaches with a Converter-Charger also get their 12V power from an 12V wire out of the Converter vs. my setup where I get my 12V power directly off the battery disconnect switch and I have a Intelletec EMS to shed power sources when on 20A or 30A shore power.

** Also, the rule of thumb is that you can FAST CHARGE your battery bank with Converter-Charger that is 25% of your total battery storage. I.e., a 420AH bank of batteries can safely be charged with a 100A charger. However, you really do NOT want to fast charge a battery bank if you are not in a rush. So if you get a 100A charger you want to make sure you can reduce the Amp output.

I would also checkout Victron Inverters with a built-in charger for simplicity and you will like the bluetooth control from your cell phone so you do not need to mount a remote panel; and any inverter you choose needs to have an internal transfer switch.

==> This is a good time to add a battery selector switch so you can completely disconnect your house batteries when in storage. You will want a 300A Blue Sea (or high amp equivalent) to handle the high current of a 200A inverter.

==> Adding a battery maintainer is also a good idea (or a solar panel) if you leave your RV outside when not in use.

Please keep us posted as your project takes shape and let us know what avenue you choose since there are a few options out there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1 RV Electrical Systems Picture (keep).jpg
Views:	176
Size:	207.3 KB
ID:	174790   Click image for larger version

Name:	1 Inverter + Converter New Power Grid (DRAFT).jpg
Views:	93
Size:	179.9 KB
ID:	174791  

Name:	RV Shore Power.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	140.8 KB
ID:	174792   Click image for larger version

Name:	Battery Cable Chart.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	149.7 KB
ID:	174793  

Name:	Battery Chart & Amp Ratings.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	382.0 KB
ID:	174794  
imnprsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 05:08 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by fkempf216 View Post
I own a 2015 Itasca Sunova 35G and want to replace the two house batteries with three deep cell batteries of the same size and amperage and relocate the engine battery to another compartment in a battery box. I also want to upgrade the inverter from a 1000 watt to a 2000 watt unit. I will be upgrading the battery wire size and 120 Volt AC wiring and breaker to 20 Amp from the existing panel to the new inverter and installing a sub panel next to the new inverter to install 15 amp breakers to handle the existing power needs. The space I have now for my 1000 watt inverter will accommodate a Xantrex Freedom X2000 unit without a built-in battery charger. (The size of a Xantrex inverter with a battery charger is too large to fit where the existing inverter is.) The present battery charger is located under the rear bed. My question is do I also need to increase the battery charger to a higher output amperage as well as the wires from the charger to the batteries? What size battery charger do I need for the additional house battery?
-- What size batteries do you have now? If they are not at least 100AH each even going to 3 batteries (300AH total) will be marginal to operate a microwave through the 2000 watt inverter.
-- What size charger do you have and is it a 3 stage charger?
-- With a 2000 watt inverter to operate a microwave/toaster/coffee maker/hair dryer it would be best to have 400AH of battery or more.
-- Do your best to measure the distance from the charger (converter?) under the bed to the battery location and then use a voltage drop calculator to determine the wire size. Here is a like to a voltage drop calculator: Voltage Drop Calculator - for single and 3 phase ac systems and dc systems You want to have a voltage drop of no more than 3% however 1% or less is better.
-- For the charging current, plan on 25% of your battery capacity. 300AH then you want a charger of at least 75 amps.
-- How do you plan on charging your batteries? If you take your batteries down to 50% to 60% full it takes many hours (6-8 hours) of generator run time to get back to 100%. The last 15% to full charge is at low current, from roughly 15 amps down to 3-4amps as it approaches 100%.
-- If you only dry camp/boondock for 2-4 nights and then back on shore power for at least overnight then not getting your lead acid batteries back to 100% is not a problem. However if you do long duration dry camping (2-3 weeks) then not getting your batteries to 100% tends to sulfate the plates in your battery which reduces your capacity.
-- 400-600 watts of solar will really help.
al1florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 07:41 AM   #6
Happy Camper

Thank you IMNPRSD for your great information and also thank you AL1FLORIDIA for your questions. I had hoped to get this modification started when the hot weather broke but I've been told by my Dr that I will need heart surgery sooner then I had expected to replace two valves. I hope I can get my health back on track before it gets to cold here ion N.C. Again thank both of you for you responses.
Old 08-29-2020, 04:14 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Best of luck with the valve replacement. My wife had her aortic valve replaced a little over a year ago, by going through the artery in her groin (TAVR procedure). It went very well. There are a number of restrictions on who they will preform this procedure on.
al1florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 05:57 AM   #8
Happy Camper

Thank you AL1FLORIDA for the encouragement. I have to have a few tests to determine if I'm eligible for the TAVR. My problem is I have two bad valves and after the tests the Dr. will discuss the options.
Old 08-30-2020, 05:16 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Good luck. Hopefully you'll be approved and this will be one of those minimally invasive procedures that results in immediate improvement, with minimal recovery time.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 03:19 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by fkempf216 View Post
Check out this seller. I had great service from them when I bought my batteries: https://www.bargainshore.com/
What do you have for a charger now? AGM batteries need special charging to get the best life.

Tags
battery, upgrade