Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-07-2022, 05:02 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Battery Disconnect Switches 2011 Aspect 28

I have a 2011 Winnebago Aspect 28. I had a problem where I have no house electric, lights, meters, nothing, even though the battery on/off rocker switch was lit as if it is on. Even when I turn on the Truck Engine, the house lights etc still not working. However, they all do work when generator is running. But won't stay on. I'm trying to replace the on off rocker switch on the wall, but having hard time finding the matching 8 pin switch, 20A 12V. Can you help me find one? Where to look and order? Or will any 20A 12V similar 8 pin rocker switch do the trick. I do not have much electrical knowledge, so I've been searching and scanning for help. Any help and guidance is appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rocker switch 5.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	300.9 KB
ID:	183724   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rocker switch 3.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	222.2 KB
ID:	183725  

Name:	Rocker switch 6.jpg
Size:	253.3 KB
ID:	183726   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rocker switch 2.jpg
Size:	352.6 KB
ID:	183727  

Name:	Rocker switch 4.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	221.3 KB
ID:	183728   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rocker switch 1.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	148.0 KB
ID:	183729  

Tularedust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 06:43 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

A couple thoughts and theories may lead to something?
One to start would be asking how you have got down to it being the switch as this is an area that can be very tricky if not really into it. One of the tricky points is that this switch sends a signal to a relay and the relay is what actually turns the power on/off.
But the trick is that it is a "latching relay" that has a magnet gizmo to hold it in the last position!
Have you noticed the switch is a momentary switch and "bounces back" when you let go of it? That lets it send the signal to the relay when we are pushingit one way or the other but it doesn't keep using 12V power full time as a way to save the power. It only sends the signal while pushed.

I would need todo some looking togeta better idea of how exactly it works but that is the general idea.

Meanwhile IF one really needed the switch, there are at least two ways to go. One is the nameand model number on the switches. I see Carling on one there and it looks like a model number also?
Carling is a big name in our switches and a search for Carling V9D1 might turn up a source for them ORcarling has a vast online catalog. The catalog may drive you to call them as quicker, though!
Second is calling some of the really good Winnebago parts places may find somebody who knows automatically which switch to send!

But first, I would want to do some good testing on the switch as it has lots of other things which may be the real problem. It may be a dirty ground wire to the switch??

I'll do some checking of the drawings for luck and get back to you?
Am I seeing you are working on two different switches? Is it the coach battery disconnect you need/wonder about?
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 07:14 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Found a few bits of info that may help. It looks like maybe the two switches have traded places at some time back? The drawings show those two reversed but no big thing! Click these snips to get a better look at them.

Name:	switches.jpg
Size:	25.6 KB
ID:	183734

On this drawing on sheet 4 Ifound the switches and they give some info on wire ID used. Winnebago stamps ID on each wire, if they are still good to read?
Like this example.

Name:	f wire id.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	23.4 KB
ID:	183735

If you can read the ID on the wire, then go to this list to "decode" where the wire comes from and goes to as a way to tell what it does.

https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...ical_guide.pdf

Given that info, the list tells us there should be a wire labeled KF that is ground. So a check with a meter to make sure that ground is good would be one good step to make as that wire likely goes down underneath the RV to a big copper bus bar bolted to the frame. Many are right behind the batteries but that may be different but almost always good and solid on the frame. The problem is that area is where it gets lots of water and dirt which make them suspect if we are not getting good ground to something!

Wires LG and LJ both go to the relay, one to engage and one to disengage the relay! But the one labeled LK may be confusing you as it shows it works the light and it may getpower from a totally different place, so that it lights, even if the switch is totally no good!

One quick way to test is to hook a wire to some metal part that is ground or the negative post of the battery and then hold it on the pin for the ground wire at the switch whil you push the switch each way. In other words, wire around any bad ground wire to see if that makes it work!

This switch sends the signal to the relay which is often outside in a compartment. Maybe behind the drivers side? Behind a label like this?

Name:	label.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	126.9 KB
ID:	183736

If you take the breaker/fuse panel out of the way, you find the relay on the right side as this drawing shows and that is where the wires from the switch wind up. When working, you can feel or hear it click as it moves, if close.

Name:	label2.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	102.9 KB
ID:	183737
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, battery disconnect, switch