Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-07-2020, 06:47 PM   #1
2004 Suncruiser

Basement air interior blwr

My inside air blower stopped working. Both compressors kick on but interior fan doesn't run and the the unit shuts down. Any suggestions? Itasco suncruiser with basement air.
Jbcant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 07:07 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Those fans typically have a start capacitor (cap). Some have a run capacitor as well. You'll probably have to pull the Coleman TrueAir from out of it's cubby hole, open the top of the case to find those caps. That's for the big fan that blows straight down. All the other caps are accessible from under the name plate so the Coleman doesn't have to be entirely removed.

Assuming you have a 2001-02 RV since you don't mention it, here's my blog article on doing the job. I believe a shop that knows what it's doing can have it done in under 3 hours. Coleman Mach

Unfortunately, you might have to wait until fall to get it into a shop anyway, so might as well do the job yourself. At least pull it out, then call a Mobile RV tech to come work on it.

But first, just open the grill so you have access to the cover plate, remove that, and replace all the big motor caps you find. Those caps at the bottom in this picture.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 07:51 PM   #3
2004 Suncruiser

Sorry I should have stated it is a 2004. I assume it is similar. Thanks for the response. Where is the best place to buy capacitors? So the fan (blower)that supplies the interior air has the capacitor mounted where it is only accessible with the unit pulled out?
Old 08-07-2020, 08:15 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

I don't remember. Just pull that panel off the front of the Coleman and replace all those big caps. See if that fixes it. BUT...if it's just a cap, the motor will be making groaning noises and will try to turn over. If it's not doing that, then it may be a motor relay (under that panel mounted on the circuit board) or it could be a poor wire connection (that happens too and you'll see all those male and female connectors under that panel, look for burnt or loose terminals), or the motor itself is bad...that's the least likely unless it's all rusted out from living in the rust belt or on the coast.

I bought most of the caps from eBay. They're everywhere though.

Old 08-10-2020, 08:56 AM   #5
2004 Suncruiser

Thanks for comments, it was a run capacitor on the fan. I replaced it and everything runs fine now.
Old 08-10-2020, 09:39 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Good to hear you got it fixed.

Keep in mind those caps are all the same age and it's not that difficult a job to replace all of them (except the 'Outside' motor cap which you have to pull the entire heat pump out to replace).

But the big thing is that the motors and pillow block bearings need to be lubed. And for that the entire unit has to be pulled out of the cubby hole.

Good luck! Hope you get years more service out of it. I think it's a very well made unit. Only complaint is that they used 'bushings' for the 2 pillow block bearings instead of sealed ball bearing types. The bushing types are supposed to be oiled regularly (so are the motor bearings) but it's really not that easy a chore having to pull the entire heat pump out and most will avoid doing it.

Old 08-17-2020, 08:59 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Just pray that you don't have to replace the AC unit completely, because there are no RV AC units available anywhere right now. Our 2016 AC needs to be replaced and Coleman is giving a projected 2021 delivery date to our Winnebago shop. Apparently Coleman uses one electrical part in their ACs which is built in Mexico. All the factories in Mexico are currently closed due to Covid-19, so Coleman can't build any ACs. I wonder if Winnebago has had to shut down their production lines due to lack of availability? Anyone know?