Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-18-2020, 07:26 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Bad tasting city water

2004 Itasca Horizon owned two years, water from city water has bad taste (plastic) . Thought it was RV Park water during 3 month stay, but now traveling and water still tastes bad. Filtered water is ok.

Used coach for a week in February and had no problem. What is the problem and what is the cure.
wheatoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 07:45 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

RV water lines are prone to getting algae buildup due to setting, so that is one thought where I start first with simple/cheap stuff like a bleach soak to kill any buildup. How much bleach to what amount of water varies and some consider it to be a critical point but there is a point that we don't know how much organic is in the tank and lines, so I just want it to be "enough" and don't really try to get exact as it is an estimate. Estimates are not meant to be exact!
Maybe do a read on what the recommended amount is and then make sure to run it through all the lines until you smell strong chlorine smell at each faucet, let it set for 12-24 hours and then drain to some point which is not going to kill your grass or go into a creek, flush and se how the taste goes.
There are additives, etc for making water taste and smell better but they tend to add another step to things that I like to keep simple. Purogene is one brand of chlorine dioxide which reacts with organics in much the same way as chlorine in bleach or as tap water contains. Some of it is trial and find what works for your situation. Some folks like my wife are just more sensitive to taste like plastic.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 08:45 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Could be your hose. Try hooking up to city water with a new/different hose and see if that helps. This is from first hand experience, btw.
Old 08-22-2020, 04:11 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

I never drink out of RV water systems--don't even brush my teeth with the stuff. I act like I do when in Mexico. What I don't remember though is when that started. I did a lot of RVing as a kid in the 60s and 70s, but I don't remember there being bottled water back then. Maybe I just drank pop???? Or maybe not drinking the water started later. I really don't remember.
Old 08-26-2020, 04:40 PM   #5
2004 Itasca Sunrise

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyocamper View Post
Could be your hose. Try hooking up to city water with a new/different hose and see if that helps. This is from first hand experience, btw.
My first guess is that the hose is the probable culprit as well. Many recommend changing out fresh water hoses periodically with hoses specifically designed for drinking water.

I'd probably try to kill two birds with one stone by adding a little non-scented chlorine bleach to the existing water, let it sit for 30 minutes or so, then rinse the tank with fresh water. You don't need much bleach to do the job, either, and only three or four ounces per 50 gallons of water should do the job.
AveryF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 07:21 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyocamper View Post
I second this. Some hoses leach more PVC in the sun than others.

https://smile.amazon.com/4001-50-Lig...s%2C262&sr=8-2
This is a good hose. You might find it for less other places. It says it is light weight and this is true but not in use strength. It is good for potable water and the fittings seem to stay functioning in all water quality conditions. I have used this hose for many years just as a car and coach washer. Still good as new. Easy to use, easy to pack away and takes the beating of being dragged over all kinds of stuff. When I replace my old hoses I will go with this one. I have tried other brands and they have not held up like this one.
Old 08-31-2020, 07:57 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
I second this. Some hoses leach more PVC in the sun than others. .
It's not just PVC, it's also lead. Another reason I only drink bottled water in my RV.

https://turfmechanic.com/garden-hose...%20hoses%20use.
Old 09-01-2020, 06:59 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodspike View Post
It's not just PVC, it's also lead. Another reason I only drink bottled water in my RV.

https://turfmechanic.com/garden-hose...%20hoses%20use.
This is so true. That is why we need to be careful when buying a potable water hose. The brass in the hose could be feeding us lead, as you indicate. Even the hydrant at the RV park must meet potable water codes. Some brass is safe. It must meet code if used in these things.

Happy trails,
Rick Y

Tags
water