Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-23-2020, 05:20 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Back Up Camera Replacement

I have just purchased a 2005 Vectra and the original Sony back up camera is not working. Does anyone know where to go to get upgrades to fit in the existing areas to replace the Sony system? Any assistance is greatly appreciated.
JBPavTrkTrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 06:50 PM   #2

I have a 2004 Itasca Horizon 40AD with probably the same dash as you. My camera is working, but I will be following this thread, because it's been a long time since anyone has addressed the need to find an alternative to a stock 7" Sony Camera, which you can not buy any more, except from a wrecking yard maybe?

Are you looking to fix what you have or to upgrade your backup camera to another brand?

Or are you going to make this a "project upgrade" and want to include other functionality like side cameras and even a security system with DVR?

Here's some things you may or may not have considered:

If you look at your bezel you will see that your 7" Sony camera does NOT line up perfectly with your Magnadyne Stereo under it.

This makes going to a double-din system/display very problematic, but no big whoop, because I really don't think you (or should I say I) would NOT want to integrate a GPS with your Camera and Music. Why?

Answer: I have found that having a separate GPS mounted up high, is much more friendly to use, and safer, because the more you are looking down at your dash area the less your eyes are on the road. And you don't want to to be looking at all the detail in a double-din unit while you are trying to drive and RV. Plus "big buttons" are easier to find and push. So Double-Din's are out in my book!

* If my camera were to go out, I would envision a completely different concept, but I admit I have not given it much thought for over 2 years, and I cannot tell you if there are aftermarket camera manufactures selling "Bird's Eye View" cameras, like you can get in cars these days, and I do not know how much these would cost?

* And if I spend any money I would prefer it to be a modern upgrade. So that's why I'm not a fan of the Voyager Display option, but I will mention it below so you can make up your own mind on what to do?

* I envision a large tablet in place of the Sony display, that has more functionality. But tablets are not like LCD monitors in that they typically do not accept HDMI input. So when I hit a brick wall I just stopped brainstorming. ...But maybe you will discover new ideas the rest of us have not thought about, if you are motivated by a dead Sony camera system. (TBD)

=== CAN YOU FIX YOUR SONY? ===

First I'm guessing you need to declare yours Sony unrepairable or not? So to help you with that I have attached a .pdf for you to get a better idea of your camera system, which is a Sony proprietary camera system no one else makes. In addition, I think finding parts is very hard if not impossible.

Second, if might find your video display will start working again if you just remove the wires to the back of the camera and clean the contacts with electrical contact spray.

What is your camera not doing for you?

Is your problem the rear camera or the Sony CRT display?

==> You might call RV Cams (Phone: 225-261-9946) to find out what they say?

RV Cams Kit to Replace Obsolete Sony VCB-MHD1 Monitor
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2004 Itasca Driver's Area & Dash.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	299.0 KB
ID:	175911   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170630_131233.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	247.2 KB
ID:	175913  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Sony 7in Back-Up Camera System.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	233.4 KB
ID:	175914   Click image for larger version

Name:	RV Cams Sony Back-Up Camera UPGRADE KIT.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	301.2 KB
ID:	175916  

Attached Files
File Type: pdf SONY Color Camera Specs 8”W x 6”H x 2 ½”D .pdf (382.1 KB, 85 views)
imnprsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 07:40 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

The issue you will face is that in your existing system, the power for the camera is supplied from the monitor. The monitor supplies the 9v that the existing camera requires. Most modern replacement cameras require 12v. You'd have to find an alternate power source.

See this thread...

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f101/looking-for-switched-12v-back-of-dp-485919.html

More info would help. Is the monitor dead (no TripTek display etc?) I would be checking all the connections at the back of the monitor, the TripTek box, and at the camera itself. Could be simply a loose cable.
emiddleb is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, camera, replace, replacement