Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-16-2021, 08:05 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

Automatic Steps and curbs etc

After parking alongside a curb last week I realized that there is no way to stop the automatic steps on our rig short of everyone squeezing past the driver's seat and exiting the driver's door. They did not hit the curb and I am not sure exactly what would happen if they did although I read that they will shut down on current rise which happens when they can't move. Still, I wouldn't want any damage to the steps, or to a nearby object of vehicle so I am considering adding a manual kill switch inside the door, anyone done that?
Old 05-16-2021, 09:04 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigb View Post
After parking alongside a curb last week I realized that there is no way to stop the automatic steps on our rig short of everyone squeezing past the driver's seat and exiting the driver's door. They did not hit the curb and I am not sure exactly what would happen if they did although I read that they will shut down on current rise which happens when they can't move. Still, I wouldn't want any damage to the steps, or to a nearby object of vehicle so I am considering adding a manual kill switch inside the door, anyone done that?
I have not done that. My 1st thought is that you may go from worry of damaging a step if were too low for the curb, to a pretty serious safety hazard in the event you had it overridden to NOT open and someone stepped out of the coach and broke a leg.

I use to worry about hitting curb too, but my experience is that curbs must be a standard height from street because when I get close, the steps always go over the curb Of course if I saw something that didn't look normal, or was lower to the point that I was going to manually turn off the automatic step with switch, I would just make sure I do not park that close to the curb.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3; Roadmaster Nighthawk 676; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; Southwire EMS 44270/34951 Display 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 09:57 PM   #3
Site Team

I’ve hit a curbside or two, and there was no damage. Just as you say, the motor stops when it hits the curb. I would not do it all the time or on purpose, but I guess it’s engineered for the occasional bump against a curb.
macnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 10:01 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Like oldman, have ended up hitting the curb numerous times over 17 years of full timing in two Class As and though I sweated it a couple times, nothing was ever damaged. The steps do auto stop. Then when I'm ready to leave, I crank the wheels hard left so the step is immediately separated from the curb as quickly as possible. Did have a small scratch or two over the years, but sorta ignored them. Eventually had the step repainted in Mexico with black enamel, at the same time as the other painting I had done.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 07:41 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

dk that is a very good point which I had not considered and I would be just the guy to step out into thin air. Sounds like I should just leave it alone and pay attention to where I park.
Old 05-17-2021, 10:26 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Most of the time they clear the curb or I am far enough out to miss, but we've bumped a few also without damage. Far more fun was the old manual steps that were long enough to catch the constant construction cones along the highway.

Going up the Oklahoma turnpike and I kept hearing this funny "whang" and finally looked back to see cones suddenly deciding to fly out into the field! Some of the alleys they leave for traffic are just pretty tight!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 11:38 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

One thing I noticed is the tiny bird poop welds holding the mounting brackets to the step assembly. Been meaning to go under there and lay a few beads before the whole thing falls off
Old 05-17-2021, 12:45 PM   #8
Proud “No Intent” Owner

I did, but not for that reason. I added a kill switch so our dog wouldn’t freak out when we’re parked, with the ignition key on to charge the starter battery, the steps would stay OUT when the screen door is opened or closed.

I of course have to remember to turn it back on when we leave, or the steps stays out.
Old 05-23-2021, 09:53 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

There are several mechanisms to protect the steps:

1. The controller module monitors the electrical current used by the step motor. If the motor experiences abnormal mechanical load, the electrical current rises and the controller stops supplying electricity. The steps will stop in whatever position they were in when the excessive load was encountered.
2. There is a mechanical overload clutch within the motor gearbox. After several excessive loads are encountered three pucks may distort or fracture and the steps will no longer be positive in their movement, they will chatter, shutter and will stop at random positions.
3. There is an ignition override circuit that senses if the door is open and the ignition is on. The controller will attempt to retract the stairs if this condition .exists.

When the stairs are stopped by an obstacle (the curb):
1. the motor current rises and the controller stops supplying electricity to the motor
2. A mechanical shock is transmitted thru the stair linkage to the mechanical clutch which will eventually distort or fracture the clutch.
3. The linkage may become bent which will cause the motor current to rise.
4. When the ignition key is turned on, the controller senses if the door is closed and attempts to retract the stairs. If the stair linkage is bent the motor will draw excessive current and the controller will cease supplying electricity. If the step switch is in the "off" position, the controller overrides the switch and attempts to retract the stairs.

LONG STORY SHORT - Don't crash the stairs!
Shedboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 05:35 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Stsirs

I bought a used adventure with the stairs cut off switch already installed. It works great.
Rb05 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
steps