Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-09-2021, 11:58 AM   #21
Winnebago Camper

I want to thank everyone for the help. at this point it looks like I have a 50amp ats and i running a 30amp for power cord I also opened up my CB panel and it looks like it’s 30amp I’ll say one thing about my rv The AC pulls 20amp while plugged in. I’m so confused with this camper is it 30amp or is it 50amp and someone before me put a 30amp cord in.
I think I’m going to order a new 50amp ATS and see what happens I know for sure the switch doesn’t work.
trucks38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 03:18 PM   #22

OP: What sort of power problems are you having?

Also, I created a .pdf for you to read and for others to put in their library.

See attached: "30A & 50A RV POWER SERVICE EXPLAINED" (PDF)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1 Power Cord 50 amp & 30 Service.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	290.8 KB
ID:	179461  
Attached Images

Attached Files
File Type: pdf 30A & 50A RV POWER SERVICE EXPLAINED (PDF).pdf (94.7 KB, 41 views)
imnprsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 09:09 PM   #23
Winnebago Camper

My original power problem is the ATS won’t switch thanks to all the feed back and studying the ATS I have I need to use a 50amp switch to be able to connect all the wire In my ATS after I replace the ATS I’ll let every one know the out com

I just ordered a wofco t57 ATS it say it can handle 70amp generator so we shale see I’ll up date every one next week when the switch get here hopefully it will arrive on the 16th and not the 21st as were going camping on the 25th at least we have shore power at the camp sight we’re going to.

Joe 2000 winne cheiftrian 35ft
Old 06-09-2021, 09:34 PM   #24

Are your sure you are not getting the WFCO T57R?

That's what I bet they are going to ship you; and this is a classic case of what I am talking about:

* The ATS label and marketing materials will say it is 70A neutral capable...

but...

* The relays inside the ATS are now only 40A type (small relays) and not the older style 8-pin, 50A relay type. Hence the "R" in the part number.

So the printed box is not accurate with the product they ship. I know, because I ordered this same part on Amazon and returned it after I found all this out.

However, I need a true 70A neutral for my Onan 7500/8000 diesel generator and the OP has an Onan 7000 gas generator and 30A service. ...So you maybe okay.

Notice the wire diagram uses a 10 lug terminal strip, which is probably okay for a 30A service RV. (IDK)

However, if you have a 50A service RV with an Onan 7500/8000 generator then what you need is a 12 position terminal block.

OP: You should verify what your Onan 7000 gas generator needs with regards to it's neutral wire current? ...and if you have 2 neutral wires that feed to 1 terminal then you will want to spit this up if you get a 50A ATS with 12 terminal lugs.

OP: What is the size of the circuit breaker on your generator?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Arterra T-57R (50A) ATS On Amazon.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	179464   Click image for larger version

Name:	WFCO T-57 (50A) aka Arterra T-57 Specifications.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	194.6 KB
ID:	179465  

Name:	WFCO T-57 (50A) ATS.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	121.9 KB
ID:	179466  
imnprsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 08:55 AM   #25
Winnebago Camper

Yes that is the one Waco t757 I’m taking I shouldn’t in stall it and send it back what Do you recommend I buy
Old 06-10-2021, 11:28 AM   #26

I think you are saying the ATS you ordered is a T57R, but if it has enough terminal connections inside I think you can use it, because your RV is wired for 30A service. (IDK. I have never done this. So maybe someone else can chime in and help you. I think you just don't use the L2 connection and that's fine.)

Note: WFCO/Arterra T-57R is the same as a Todd Engineering or Elkhart 50A service ATS Part#LPT50BRD; and they all have started to use smaller relays to cost reduce their product. This is good if you have 30A service, because these ATS boxes are not sub $150 vs years ago when they were charging $300. But it's bad if you are a 50A service RV owner with an Onan 7500/8000 generator for reasons I have already described.

I think the OP stated this is his original problem:

* He confirmed he has 120V when the generator is running, but the ATS will not switch to pass 120V to the main circuit panel. Is that correct?

==> If so, did you confirm you DO NOT have 120V out of your generator when it is running?

==> Did you bang on your ATS box with a hammer to hopefully unstick a relay point contact inside; and then did you reconfirm you still did not have 120V going out of your ATS?

* And you are saying your ATS box is passing 120V shore power (20A) okay to the power panel, because everything AC works inside the RV?

* What about your inverter power? Does it work normally?

Here's the thing, usually a bad ATS has a lose wire lug and all you have to do is tighten down the screws. This should be part of everyone's 2-3 year preventative maintenance, but it's not, and that's why ATS terminal strips burn out... usually on the neutral wire. And if you don't see any burn marks in your ATS then maybe your problem is not the ATS?

I might suggest you send picture of that surge protector if you have one? If not, what do you think those extra wires go to?

Note: A surge protector has to be wired in series and it only makes sense to put on on the shore power line-in side.

The drawing below is what my 50A Paralax ATS-5070 looks like. I have no idea if this will help the OP figure out his wiring, but it may.

Notice the second picture of a Lyght ATS box does not have as many terminal connectors, and yet they still call this an ATS suitable for 50A service, because it looks like a 30A service box to me with just 9 terminal connectors.

And if you have an Onan 7500 or 8000 then I'm saying you should by an ATS 50A service box with 12 terminal connectors.

The old style WFCO/Arterra T-57 and the old style Todd Engineering or Elkhart 50A service ATS Part#LPT50BRD used to have 12 terminal connectors and 8-pin, heavy duty, 50A relays, but not anymore.

Again, in today's market, when you buy a 50A Service ATS box, this does not mean you are necessarily getting 50A relays inside. You need to double-check before you buy.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1 2004 Horizon Automatic Transfer Switch ATS-5070 #2.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	161.3 KB
ID:	179480   Click image for larger version

Name:	Elkhart 50A ATS.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	142.1 KB
ID:	179481  

Name:	Terminal Block T-57 With Lables.jpg