Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-14-2019, 08:40 PM   #1
Ready for new adventures

Auto leveler says I'm level - but bubble says otherwise

I have a 2015 Itasca Tribute/Winnebago Brave with Lippert dual sensor electronic leveler. So much better than legos - but when I activate auto-level the screen says success but my bubble level says otherwise (and so does DW!)
Anybody know how to reprogram the leveler so that it is actually level and I can restore balance to my life (and my wife)?
Old 07-14-2019, 10:20 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Look up the manual for it. I think the instructions for calibrating ours is in the bound books that came with the coach.
SLOweather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 05:17 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Go to Lippert's web site (https://www.lci1.com/) and search for "level calibration" They list all the different systems and the procedures.
Phil-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 08:15 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

My new to me also has a Lippert system and I have to say it is not pleasing me very much as it seems to have way more trouble getting it right than the former HWH systems I've used. Some way it doesn't seem to understand it should stop when things get level and it sets and thinks it over and then jacks the end higher so that the front is low again so it raises that and quite often it reaches the end of the stroke and says to move to a level spot! It can't seem to agree with it's own lights that say it is level but still wants to go higher.
My reaction to this si to go manual and adjust much slower than it wants to work. I still use the lights it gives for which side is low but just work the problem slower.
You might try that and see if the calibration is off or if it is just working too fast for it's own good.
But then using a level to decide which point you want level may/may not work as all things are not uniformly level in lots of RV. So you may find the wife wants the stove level and you want the bed level but those two don't agree? That will get you into an area that is hard to solve!!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 08:42 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I always use mine in manual. Much quicker and always level.
Terry
Dentkimterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 09:03 PM   #6
Site Team

Heed the advice to look up the calibration. We were on the road for 6 months and swore that we weren’t level until one day I had someone send me looking for the steps and we recalibrated and were amazed at the difference. A small 1-2° difference at the center of the rv is very pronounced at the ends.

We’ve got a center of the coach bathroom and the door is a good indicator of level. It should stay where you put it.
Old 07-16-2019, 05:26 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomB View Post
Heed the advice to look up the calibration. We’ve got a center of the coach bathroom and the door is a good indicator of level. It should stay where you put it.
I use that door, on our coach, as the first indicator of being level after I get set up. If it swings, on it's own, in any direction, something is not right.
Phil-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 08:16 PM   #8
NXR
Winnebago Owner

If you have a dog, use one of their hard rubber balls on the floor. If it rolls you're not level. My Lippert (formerly Power Gear) hydraulic levelers were way off in Auto when delivered. The procedure to reset that one was:

Have the coach on a level surface if possible. Use Manual to level it with as little extension as possible.

Use Manual to raise the coach about 3" if it was level to start off.

Turn the leveler panel off and back on.

Press FRONT five times, then press REAR five times. You'll see all lights blinking.

Press RETRACT ALL three times. The light will blink, just wait. It's checking for an input from an air system. If none is found it just continues the reset procedure. It takes about a minute.

One thing that was not in the manual was that the green LCI light would start blinking after it reset the level point. I turned the panel off and back on and the LCI light continued to blink. I turned the panel off and ignored it for a while. The next time I turned it on the green LCI light was off and Auto worked much better. It used to run the rear way high.
NXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 12:13 PM   #9
Ready for new adventures

Thanks Ray
- I worked that method this weekend and all seems to be reset. I'll try the dog's ball (if she'll let me :-)).
Old 07-22-2019, 06:04 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Carry a golf ball. If when you put it down and it stays in the dimple, it most likely level. (Or a ping-pong ball if you are worried about weight. :-))
Wayne M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 06:05 PM   #11
NXR
Winnebago Owner

I also use Bubble Level by Gamma Play from the Google Play store (Android). It's nice because it not only has the electronic left-right front-rear bubble levels it has a degree readout to a tenth of a degree. It allows you to reset "level" easily but the trick is trying to find some place level to do that. I used the ball on the kitchen island (but don't tell my DW please).

The interesting thing (to me) is that when the bubbles are showing very close to level there still can be a degree or two of tilt. If you have a newer absorption refrigerator (Norcold or Dometic instead of residential) it's supposed to have no more than 3 degrees of tilt side-to-side or 6 degrees of tilt front-to-back. Those bubble levels including my carpenter level would show all was well when the digital readout said something different, as did the dog's ball.

I'm sure there's an iPhone equivalent but I don't know what it is.
NXR is offline   Reply With Quote