Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2021, 10:36 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Auto level system

I bought a 2003 suncruiser 35’..... it seems that my levelling hydraulics go down no problem but I need to manually jack them up while my wife pushes the button to have them retract their proper sitting position. Is there a trick or something I don’t know what I should be doing so I don’t manually have to assist in retracting my levelling hydraulics?And yes I’m brand new in the motorhome world
Rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 02:47 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

First let me say welcome to the new world. It's always full of questions, so feel right at home!!
And then there does bring some questions as to what exact brand levelers yu have and what they might look like. HWH can Lippert are a couple big names, so if you can find anything like that or add to it, that is a good place to start.

Meanwhile, there might be a couple things to mention that might help.
How about the fluid in the hydraulic fluid tank? Has it been checked for correct level?
Second might be to look/think about if there are "return springs" on your type? Do they have big coils around the shaft that help to draw the base back up? This can get weak, so that they don't get it done----if you have that sort, so maybe give us any more info you might have?

Looking here:
https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...CA/3ifg35u.pdf

I see down on about page 62 that there are two different chassis, one Ford and one workhorse, so knowing which may help?
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 10:02 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Back in the early 2000's, HWH was shipping thousands of jack systems with a weak spring set on each jack. They have a flat top and bottom, ignoring the hook. Eventually, they came out with an improved spring that had more 'pull' and those are tapered top and bottom.

So check that first. You need to know your systems model number to decide which improved spring is yours but there are charts and such to help. Amazon and eBay carry them. Ebay seems to have the best pricing. Shops or mobile techs replace them for a couple hundred $$ for all 8 generally.

Here's an iRV2 thread that shows a picture: Springs for HWH jacks

If you have Power Gear jacks, (Lipert bought them out a few years ago), then I would guess that maybe you have some debris from manufacturing that is stuck in the 'retract' valve. Note that hydraulic jacks where you can see springs only used the pump to 'extent' the jack. Releasing the dump valve just allows the jack to be pulled up to retracted position with the help of the spring.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 11:24 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

If you have the HWH system be careful you do not use the store mode for long periods of time. I was having issues with the passenger side jacks retracting slow or not at all. I burnt out all 4 solenoids that way. All 4 fuses were blown. I replaced the fuses and they blew again. I replaced the solenoids with the new style flip lever. Jacks lowered ok. I opened the solenoids over using store to watch the jacks go up. Passenger side still had issues. I put on the new style springs and replaced the shuttle valve. Still had issues with the passenger side jacks going up. I bought new jacks for passenger side. Jacks now extend and retract as expected.
Old 07-27-2021, 08:54 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

If the Jacks have been left extended for long periods of time, the hydraulic shafts can become slightly corroded. A light spray of silicone lubricant and wipe down can help restore the surface and remove debree. This is a common occurrence in locations where there is high humidity or any level of salt/sea spray.
Mtn Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote