Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-29-2010, 09:18 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Auto Gen Start 07 Journey

Hello folks,
I'm writing this for a friend. He has a 07 Journey and would like to install a Auto Gen Start system in his coach. Does anyone know if his coach is pre-wired for one or not and what Onan kit to use?

TIA !
Raca-roni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 08:58 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

I don't know for sure but my coach is probably similar and I don't think I'm prewired for it. I wish. I really want to install one but the options as I understand them are to buy the hard wired kit for something around $150 and istall it myself, or buy the wireless kit for something around $500.

Just from memory of what I've read here on the forum, I think someone who just had the hardwired version installed at the Winnie factory paid for 6 hrs of labor and total job was near $900.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 09:32 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

when i looked into this last year the dealer quoted me 8 hours labor to install the hard wire version. I bought the new wireless version last year for around $500 and 1 hour labor. Did it mainly for the dog, but it will also charge up your batteries if they get to low. At the Rally last week, they were selling for $449 with free install right there.
majfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 04:33 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

I installed the Onan EC-30 in my class C. It is much more feature rich than the wireless version. It was more complex than it would have been with a "One Place" where almost all of the connections are available. Providing you can read wiring diagrams, I suspect you could install it in a couple of hours. The connections required are detailed in the EC-30 manual that you can download from the Onan site. You need house & chassis battery connections(3), generator start / hour meter(12v)/run/status connections/ground (5), 12vDC, and thermostat connections (2 or3) - all of which are available at the "OneCenter". I added a 12 v DC wall wart connected to an AC outlet (non-inverter) for AC sense and you need a safety input (Brake or ignition or lights) that are not in the one centre and will require wiring. I spent more time planning with the Winnebago electrical diagrams than I did "doing" and suggest that time was well spent. Overall, not difficult if you can read the diagrams and are comfortable doing simple (all 12vDC) electrical work.

bob
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 06:24 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

The Journey's are not pre-wired for the Onan EC-30, but the One Place panel makes it a lot easier to install. Onan quotes 8 hours for the install, but with this panel, it should be closer to 4 hours. I installed mine in about 4 hours.

The EC-30W is a much quicker install, but more expensive and less feature-rich, as posted above.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 08:22 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I installed mine a few years ago and had no real problems. Just a time issue to locate the connections needed. I used regular extension cord for my runs as it is double insulated. I think I ran one to the front and one to the electric bay.

2016 Winnebago Journey 40R
arkaussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 05:57 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Lindsay,

Good to hear from you. Hope things are well.

Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkaussie View Post
I installed mine a few years ago and had no real problems. Just a time issue to locate the connections needed. I used regular extension cord for my runs as it is double insulated. I think I ran one to the front and one to the electric bay.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote