Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-29-2018, 03:11 PM   #1
Site Team

At “Camp Winnebago”

We pulled in to Forest City today for our scheduled 3-days of factory service. I have a short list of 6 things for them to fix. After buying our Adventurer in July 2017 I had the foresight to make an appointment for around the first of May, just in case I needed some things fixed under warranty. Sure enough a list developed over the past 10,000 miles.

I think a good number of folks are here without appointments and I feel for them as others like me with appointments have been showing up.

It will be interesting to see how this process works and great to have all my existing issues fixed.

PS. There is a new Horizon parked over by the factory (inside the fence) I can’t wait to see.
Old 05-03-2018, 06:15 AM   #2
Site Team

We left WBGO on Tuesday. We had a list of about 6 items. The first day they fixed 3 things. The second day they “finished” at 12:30 and said they fixed one issue, couldn’t find any thing wrong with issue number 5 and that issue number 6 was actually a design flaw and couldn’t be fixed under warranty.

Overall it was a good experience, however one thing the said they fixed is clearly not fixed. But we’re 200 mi down the road now and on a schedule that prevents us from going back.

They were really full with folks with appointments and a slew of drop ins. The weather was difficult so there was not a lot of socializing outside of the waiting area.

Really, not much to do in the area so much of the time is spent waiting in the service waiting room.
Old 05-03-2018, 07:37 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for sharing your experience. We have been planning a trip up that way, and it's nice to hear first-hand. Much appreciated!!!
ziaptrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 07:35 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

I've got an appointment on May 21st, arriving May 20th. Hope to have my '02 Journey updated as regarding known maintenance issues like the furnace fan and capacitors. And then hope for some minor slide maintenance on the slide seals. It all seems OK to me but want them looked at. And of course there's the engine stuff I'd like the experts to inspect...turbo and such. They don't do much engine work but can at least do some of the easy stuff.

After all that, there's the Tree Town Music Festival the weekend after that I bought a ticket for and a parking space for my RV. Yikes...$650 for 3 nights.

Anyway, looking forward to it and hope to get more insight from other attendees.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 05:44 PM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziaptrn View Post
Thanks for sharing your experience. We have been planning a trip up that way, and it's nice to hear first-hand. Much appreciated!!!
I also have a 2004 Vectra KD and when everything is working, I love it, and it rides nicely. I just bought it in 2016 but I’ve had an incredible number of problems with it. I wonder if you’ve had any of the same: Hydraulic issues (slide-outs and leveling jacks), electrical (apparently the wiring was fried due to inadequate grounding), windshield wiper failure (and Winnebago is no longer carrying replacement parts), dash AC compressor blown (Twice),etc. The exterior looks new, and so does the interior but there was a host of issues that were not obvious. Buyer beware when buying a used motor home from Camping World, at least the one in North Fort Myers, FL.
Joknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 06:22 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joknight View Post
I also have a 2004 Vectra KD and when everything is working, I love it, and it rides nicely. I just bought it in 2016 but I’ve had an incredible number of problems with it. I wonder if you’ve had any of the same: Hydraulic issues (slide-outs and leveling jacks), electrical (apparently the wiring was fried due to inadequate grounding), windshield wiper failure (and Winnebago is no longer carrying replacement parts), dash AC compressor blown (Twice),etc. The exterior looks new, and so does the interior but there was a host of issues that were not obvious. Buyer beware when buying a used motor home from Camping World, at least the one in North Fort Myers, FL.

Couldn't find what slide system you have but if it's HWH, I have one in my '02, and a friend has one in her '04 Journeys. With mine, all that was wrong with the slides was that the common frame ground near the hydraulic tank needed some tightening, and with hers we had to remove the control under the stairs and send it in for repair. Only cost $100, but restored her slides and jacks operation. She was in Mexico too.

Wiper failure? Not enough info to go on.

Dash AC? If you have repeated failures, there's a couple things to look for.

One is that the last repair shop didn't correctly purge the system of blown compressor motor residue, if the motor was blown. That's expensive in these big systems because you have to pump fluid through to clean everything, than send the fluid back to another shop for cleaning so it can be recycled. Some shops don't do it to save money and just replace the motor and add freon without purging the system.

Another possibility is bad Chinese compressors. There were a lot of those. Pretty much out of the system now.

And another possibility is a bad alternator sending too high of voltage around your system, burning out the compressor early. Needs to be less then 15 volts max.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 10:09 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

For anyone who had had work done at Camp Winnebago. What is their hourly rate for repairs?

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 09:24 PM   #8
Site Team

I’m trying to remember, my work was warranty so it was free, but I think it was $165/hr. I talked to one guy there to get a long list of things repaired out of warranty and he was worried it would be $10,000 get get everything done. They told him they would work up an estimate before doing anything and the they would do their best to help him out with the pricing. But we left before they finished with their estimate.
Old 05-20-2018, 03:31 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Wow, Winnie thinks highly of themselves but then they have the business. We were thinking of having something done there but were concerned about having to keep the cats in their carriers all day. We have a couple of other places where things can get repaired that we have full confidence in for a lot less per hour. It would have been convenient to go to Winnie.

This is one of the benefits of full timing, you can go where you want. Guess we will rethink our plans.

Thanks

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y
Old 05-20-2018, 07:00 AM   #10
Site Team

I’m seeing similar rates everywhere for RV service.

One thing to consider, they know the details of your coach better and have parts generally at their disposal right there. I think they can do things quicker. However, I doubt you could get an appointment before October Now. Once winter is over they book up completely in advance until the next winter. 30 appointments per week.

Around the GNR Rally time is their busiest.

We made our appointment 6-months prior to get in for May 1st.
Old 05-20-2018, 12:22 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise

To cover our bases we made an appt 4 days ago, August 27th. We can cancel up to 10 days before. The other thing is they said 4 days in the shop and my guy said 1-1.5 days. That's big difference to be inconvenienced. My guy will pre-order the components and have them when we show up. He diagnosed the problem so should know the parts he needs.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y

Tags
winnebago