Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-23-2017, 07:47 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Question At a crossroads

We have a 2005 Itasca Suncruiser33V, full body paint, Workhorse 20,500lb chassis, 5 speed Allison tranny, 26K on odometer, basement air, satellite dish, power awning, HWH levelers, hydraulic slide mechanisms (2), drivers door, interior in great condition. We bought it in 2011. Typically use it 7-8 weeks per year. Engine has been maintained by great local mechanic--no issues. Tows our Honda CRV effortlessly.

Question is, keep our current unit with substantial investment, or trade/sell it and upgrade to newer--but definitely used--unit? Our budget will not support a new unit or a used diesel. Issues that will need to be addressed on current unit within the year: tires are now 8 years old, but no dry rot; much rust abatement needed near basement storage areas; substantial peeling of clear coat above windshield area; some paint "dings" in various places; several window shades need replacing. Both TVs are old type and will likely need replacing soon; furnace, water heater, basement AC unit, and refrig are all working fine now, but are also all original equipment. I worry that there may be issues lurking that I am not seeing or will not present themselves until I have all the needed work done.

With that said, as I look (frequently) at comparable class A gas units in 2010-2015 year range, I am not all that impressed. I am not seeing the same quality, craftsmanship, and attention to detail as I observe in my 13 year old Itasca unit. And most of the newer class A gas units have fewer windows (which we don't like) and include features we would never use, like bunk beds and cab over beds.

So, the question is, what would you do? Should I just "bite the bullet" and make the needed investments in the present coach and forget about "changing partners".
NHRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 05:45 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

If the coach floorplan, storage features, etc. works well and it is mechanically sound, I would keep it and build up a maintenance fund in case a major repair is needed. We were recently in similar situation with a 2006 class C but we have been wanting to downsize to a 23' to 25' model. We made trade a few weeks back.
blifsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 11:24 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Our Adventurer 35U, W22 chassis is now 14 years old. I have replaced the old TV's, small flat screen TVs are pretty cheap these days. It will need tires soon as well. Rust around compartment doors, have (had) some too. Took a wire brush, cleaned off the loose rust and coated with Chassis Saver, POR-15 is basically the same. I like our coach, it runs good, everything works and it's comfortable for the 2 of us. I can spend a few thousand on tires or 10s of thousands on a newer coach with no guarantee that things won't fail the day after purchase. If things fail on our current coach I can fix a lot for less than the cost of upgrading to a newer one.
Old 10-25-2017, 08:30 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

I vote you hang onto your current coach and build a repair fund.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 06:28 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Regardless of the looks of your tires, they are a "time bomb". 8 years is the limit, not worth risking your life or damage from tire damage. Some people get lucky, for me, not worth it.. Keep your unit if it works for you.
RickyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 12:31 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

We keep looking too...especially at 33-34 DP's.
Guess what's still in the driveway.

For tires, we got Michi's for the front but Sumitomo's for the back - they are half the price - and work just great.

I've been doing a lot of work on the coach - vinyl stripe removal and painting, LED lighting conversion with portable solar, batteries, flat-screens, new roof air, shocks, steering damper, as well as a variety of other upgrades and additions. It's a really nice coach, and from what I've seen and been told they don't build 'em like they used to.

37K miles, 250 gen hours. Some double pane window fogging - you can still get new ones. It looks and runs like a champ. [shrug]
CJBROWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 08:09 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRick View Post
We have a 2005 Itasca Suncruiser33V, full body paint, Workhorse 20,500lb chassis, 5 speed Allison tranny, 26K on odometer, basement air, satellite dish, power awning, HWH levelers, hydraulic slide mechanisms (2), drivers door, interior in great condition. We bought it in 2011. Typically use it 7-8 weeks per year. Engine has been maintained by great local mechanic--no issues. Tows our Honda CRV effortlessly.

Question is, keep our current unit with substantial investment, or trade/sell it and upgrade to newer--but definitely used--unit? Our budget will not support a new unit or a used diesel. Issues that will need to be addressed on current unit within the year: tires are now 8 years old, but no dry rot; much rust abatement needed near basement storage areas; substantial peeling of clear coat above windshield area; some paint "dings" in various places; several window shades need replacing. Both TVs are old type and will likely need replacing soon; furnace, water heater, basement AC unit, and refrig are all working fine now, but are also all original equipment. I worry that there may be issues lurking that I am not seeing or will not present themselves until I have all the needed work done.

With that said, as I look (frequently) at comparable class A gas units in 2010-2015 year range, I am not all that impressed. I am not seeing the same quality, craftsmanship, and attention to detail as I observe in my 13 year old Itasca unit. And most of the newer class A gas units have fewer windows (which we don't like) and include features we would never use, like bunk beds and cab over beds.

So, the question is, what would you do? Should I just "bite the bullet" and make the needed investments in the present coach and forget about "changing partners".
I think most of us will agree. If you like what you have keep it. Maintenance is never a consideration but always a requirement in any vehicle. Now, put a house on wheels and shake it like in an earthquake and you WILL get things to fail. Part of the RVing life.

Do your upgrades. A new TV will not only lighten your load but the new one will have great features and better picture. New tires (I like Toyo) and break maintenance will keep you safe. I like upgrading the inverter to a pure sine wave type. I find that I have less problems with appliances and more power from the microwave. Improve your battery bank with AGM's for better Walmart overnight time. Change your propane leak detector, smoke and carbon monoxide detectors if they are old. Change the look by reupholstering and upgrading the floor treatments.

If your rig is solid, camping worthy and comfortable to you continue to enjoy it. The great thing is, if you don't like the neighbors moving is not a problem.

If the under-chassis is not salt rotted that is another good reason not to change rigs. I, too, am a "NH" Rick. Berlin many, many, many years ago.

Happy trails,
Rick Y
Old 11-02-2017, 02:51 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

I have a 2002 Adventurer 37G. Had 34k when I purchased it September 2012 from Florida. Now has 56k. Absolutely love the layout. Have thought about trading for newer but nothing seems to compare. New tires last year. Undercarriage looks almost new. Interior is in great shape. Does have the gelcoat pops early 2000 vintage was known for but I can't see those when inside the nice comfy interior. Have 9 months left on full extended warranty through Easycare. This is the last year I can get a warranty/service plan so I am going to call for a quote on 2yr extended service plan through Good Sam just to see how much to have her covered past the end of the current warranty. I say if you are happy with what you have , keep it.
offdutyRV is offline   Reply With Quote