Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-25-2021, 09:05 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

aquahot question

so we purchased a 2014 itasca ellipse 42qd. the place we bought it from really didnt explain aquahot system well.

they told us we should leave both switches for diesel heat and electric on and the system auto chooses what would be best. to me that just doesnt sound right.

based on what I am understanding when driving I dont need either switch on and they system gives us heat and hot water based off the engine running. but has limitations on how cold its outside and water limitations.

electric on takes longer to heat and cant use a lot of hot water. can you run dishwasher with just this on? does it only work only when plugged in or can it use house battery power?

diesel - unlimited hot water

can someone help me with these questions and let me know if this is correct.
shane4golf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 11:37 AM   #2
Winnebago Watcher

We travel with both switches off and if I remember to, I will turn the engine preheat switch on an hour or so before we reach our destination to pre heat the aqua hot so we have domestic hot water immediately. I have not been in a cold enough situation to use the engine heat to heat the coach while driving but have read that it works pretty well.
While parked and connected to power I will turn on the electric element and only turn on the diesel burner when showering. We have not had any issues with electric only when operating the dishwasher or the washing machine one at a time. I have to admit that I don’t know for sure but I don’t think that the electric element will operate on the inverter/house batteries.
Of course when parked and heating the coach interior you will most likely need to turn on the burner.
Old 02-26-2021, 01:54 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

so when your traveling and have both off, do you still have hot water because its working off the engine? I am assuming you have the tankless hot water.
Old 02-26-2021, 04:49 PM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

Yes we have the same aquahot system as you and yes with the engine pre heat on you have hot water while going down the road with both the electric and diesel switches off.
Old 02-27-2021, 10:14 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

I also have the Aqua Hot 450D. In the "Burner" mode you use diesel fuel to fire the Aqua Hot burner. In the electric mode you are using the electricity to heat the fluids in the Aqua Hot. The electric mode will use around 14 Amps while operating. The burner mode will use approximately 0.4 gallons per hour depending on the cycle of the burner. The more cycles, the more 10ths of gallons will be used per hour. The burner mode works off of 12v and draws approximately 4 amps.

On a trip the engine will provide hot water and there is no need for either of the Aqua Hot switches to be on. When we stop and are plugged into campground electricity we use the electric mode. In the morning DW will turn the burner on. With both electric and burner on you will have continuous hot water. Very nice for showering. When we are finished showering we turn the burner off.

From the expert in my area:

"In cold weather: If no one is in the coach, electric on, open cabinet doors under sinks down to 30 deg F. Below that add diesel. If in the coach, add diesel to electric when temp is below 50 deg F."

In the basement on the Aqua Hot panel there is a rheostat. It should never be set below 40˚F. During this last freeze our temperatures here dropped to 19˚F. I had increase that rheostat to 50 or so degrees. When I checked with a thermal gun the temperatures in the bays were all above freezing. Thank you Winnebago.

On a side note: Your generator can be set to run in "auto" mode. You can set it to come on when battery voltage is low, when electricity goes out, or when not plugged in and there is a demand on the air conditioner. There may be a few other "auto" settings, but those are what I use. If you are boondocking be aware of the 14 Amp draw using the Aqua Hot electricity. I would only run that mode with electrical being supplied to the RV.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 04:19 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

thank you for the help.
Old 02-28-2021, 10:52 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

You are more than welcome and remember, there are no dumb questions. We all share similar items in our RV's, so someone will have correct answere.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote