Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-28-2020, 09:20 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Anyone own an Adventurer 27N?

We just bought a 2019 Winnebago Adventurer 27N new. I would like to know if anyone else owns one like this and then discuss what issues you are finding, if any. So far ours has been great though noisy due to that V10 right at your feet. I added a lot of sound insulation spray on the engine cover's underside. It helped but still too noisy. Guess I should have spent another $100k for a quieter ride.
Old 12-29-2020, 03:38 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

There are several others here who have the Vista 27N or Vista LX 27N, both are the same floor plan/model as the Adventurer 27N.

I haven't had any issues other than sway, which the CHF fixed. Other than that we love it, the floor plan is perfect for us. Wish we could go on a short trip this week but no where we can get to in one days drive is much warmer than where we're at. Next trip is planned for late March for spring break.
Old 12-29-2020, 05:14 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

The noise while driving is what it is for the Ford F53 chassis motor homes , all makes and models. Adding sound deadening material to the doghouse helps slightly.

Other common issues are:

Water starting to drip onto the dash from the area in front of the visors. Entry point is usually a failure of the seam sealant between the fiberglass cap and the roof, in particular the radius curves on the ends. This rarely happens until the coach is driven for months and movement causes the sealant to separate. Inspect and reseal as recommended annually.

Metal brackets epoxied onto the back side of the front cap that hold the grille and hood door becoming loose then finally detached. This rarely happens before the RV is 2 or 3 years old. Check brackets to see if the start getting loose at least annually and get repaired before brackets fail, and fall off. A lot of us have nylon straps connecting the hood brackets that can fall off tied to the chassis structure so if the epoxy fails the brackets don't get lost or fall and damage the RV or tow car.

Onan generator shutting down due to overheating in hot weather, due to some of the hot air exhausted thru the bottom being drawn back into the intake. I created a baffle to create a longer path for the hot exhaust air to circulate back to the intake and that resolved the problem on my Vista 27N. Before baffle, the air temp at the generator air intake was 15 F higher than the ambient air temp. After baffle only about 5 F higher.

Sealant around the bathroom skylight integrity causing water intrusion, in particular on the side of the skylight facing the sidewall, where sometimes the factory workers don't apply it as well on the side away from where they physically stand and work from.

Wood plugs that hide screw heads falling out. If you find a wood plug on the floor don't throw it out you'll eventually notice where it fell out from.

Plastic plugs by the entry door that hide fasteners falling out. If you find a plastic plug on the floor don't throw it out you'll eventually notice where it fell out from.

The privacy panel in the entry door will eventually stick and not want to roll up, the roller rotates on metal pins without any bearings and they eventually will stop rotating freely. You can take it off the door and hold it upside down and lube the ends where it needs to rotate with silicone spray and resolve the problem when it happens.

Shower door assembly not sealed well to shower surround and water gets out of the shower into the rest of the bathroom. I fixed by applying some clear tub/shower caulk to the joints that were passing water.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 01:57 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

To add to Randy's excellent list, leaky outdoor compartments, particularly behind passenger front wheel. I used to get puddles in those compartments, ruining some tools and camping gear.

The fix is to close a bright worklight or two in the compartment at night, and then crawl around underneath the rig with your caulk gun. The holes and seams needing caulk will be very apparent.

These are GREAT rigs, IMHO...
Old 12-30-2020, 09:56 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

We're very happy with ours. We had the hood brackets come loose, water in the storage bays, and the check valve on the demand pump failed... Repaired it all myself. We love the floorplan and relatively short length. It's been a great rig for us.
IOS 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 11:25 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

These are so helpful. Thanks to all who contributed. This helps me prevent some problems even though being a motorhome some will occur. One that was not mentioned is that on my rig two thirds of the external screws are stripped. Also trouble starting the generator. Takes several tries to get it running.

Thanks again.....
Old 12-30-2020, 11:35 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougb View Post
These are so helpful. Thanks to all who contributed. This helps me prevent some problems even though being a motorhome some will occur. One that was not mentioned is that on my rig two thirds of the external screws are stripped. Also trouble starting the generator. Takes several tries to get it running.

Thanks again.....
The Onan 4 KW generator on mine has trouble starting, too. I have found that it is getting better with more hours on it ( currently up to about 200 ). If you hold the switch on stop more than about 3 or 4 seconds it initiates fuel prime. I have found that holding down stop for about 5 seconds to prime helps starting a generator that has not been run recently , it will crank for less seconds before starting.
Old 12-30-2020, 11:38 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

For my Adventurer 27N I replaced the shocks with Koni shocks. Added a steering stabilizer, rear track bar and front and back sway bars. All that made a huge difference in how this handles. Makes long trips more comfortable. I was shocked to discover that the coach did not come with a spare tire. I added a spare tire carrier in the trailer hitch and I am not as worried getting stuck out in the middle of Arizona with no way to change a flat tire. The tire carrier flips down away from the rear storage area making that area accessible when parked. Yes, the spare tire plus the wheel its mounted on is very heavy but do-able.
Old 12-30-2020, 11:49 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

I use EEZ-Tire tire pressure monitoring, and I carry a high quality tire plugging kit and have a pancake air compressor and 50' hose reel installed in one of the basement bays, rather than carry a spare tire. Personally I'm not strong enough to wrestle the 19'5" wheels with 245/70/R19.5 tires mounted on them. The tire + wheel weighs well over 80 pounds.

Also the actual weight carried by the wheels on the rear axle is over 11,000 pounds so you need to carry a serious jack stand and axle jack to safely change a tire.
Old 12-30-2020, 12:02 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by powercat_ras View Post
I use EEZ-Tire tire pressure monitoring, and I carry a high quality tire plugging kit and have a pancake air compressor and 50' hose reel installed in one of the basement bays, rather than carry a spare tire. Personally I'm not strong enough to wrestle the 19'5" wheels with 245/70/R19.5 tires mounted on them. The tire + wheel weighs well over 80 pounds.

Also the actual weight carried by the wheels on the rear axle is over 11,000 pounds so you need to carry a serious jack stand and axle jack to safely change a tire.

Yes, the weight of the tire and wheel is about 80 pounds, too much for me to lift. But I was thinking that I could hopefully find a tow truck with the necessary jack but finding that new tire would be impossible in remote areas. Hopefully I never have to use it.
Old 12-30-2020, 01:19 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise

I do the same as powercat_ras. I have a tire repair kit and a Porter-Cable 150psi pancake sitting in the mid passenger side compartment where the inverter is mounted. I screwed a couple of hitch rings to the back wall of the compartment and hook a bungie to them to hold it in place. Plus I have roadside assistance on my insurance. When I first got it I thought I wanted a spare, but realized that even if I had one I wouldn't much like having to swap it. And I'd have to invest in a much bigger jack and jack stand. And a bigger impact wrench, and a bigger torque wrench, etc, etc.

I also have the Eeze-Tire and wouldn't travel without it.
Old 01-03-2021, 04:58 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Randy, no kidding just yesterday i was looking through my Atlas, looking for places to go in the future and I was scanning across Kansas and noticed, a Manhattan Kansas. Con incidence?
Santee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 06:30 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

Manhattan, Kansas area is worth a short visit. Great COE lakes with camping nearby ( Tuttle Creek and Milford ). Abilene Kansas , home of Dwight D. Eisenhower Presidential Library. Council Grove, on the Santa Fe Trail. Topeka Kansas, with the Kansas Museum of History and the Combat Air Museum and the State Capitol. Kansas State University campus. Konza Prairie Preserve (20 miles of hiking trails). Flint Hills Discovery Center.

Enjoy.
Old 01-03-2021, 11:15 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

27N tweeks

I have a 2015 27N and found Sumo Shocks to make a noticeable difference in ride and handling,
Nmdoug is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adventurer, vent