Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-30-2018, 12:55 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Any Vista 29VE Owners

Just like to here your thoughts on this Motorhome. I have had a lot of problems with mine. Also any updates you have done to it. Thanks.
MinnieKJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 07:46 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

We traded our 26 H.E. Vista a month ago for the 29 V.E. Vista and we have not had it out camping yet, but put a few miles on the road to get a feel for it. I have done the CHF both front and rear (it did make a difference on the 26) So far it seems all the systems are working..in my drive way! just hope it all works for us when we do our annual snowbird trip to Florida..Sorry to hear of your troubles...
Reniram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 04:00 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

I hate to hear your having problems with your 29VE. We have a 2017 29VE with only minor problems so far. The biggest problem we noticed one night was a little water coming out from under the wall below the thermostat area. I just knew that we had a leak in the shower wall. I pulled the small panel under the shower and found it wet but no sign of where the leak was. I then pulled the shower valve(s) panel off and peeled it back to see the connections and that’s where I saw a small leak. The connection was loose, and after tightening all is good.

I just recently did the CHF and it handle a lot better. I do all the maintenance on my unit myself.

One thing I do now after the leak is only using the water pump for my water needs. I fill the tank, turn the city water fill valve to the tank and use the pump so that I can hear if I have a leak or water is being used when it shouldn’t. I’ve read about one of the kitchen spigots left open or knocked open while traveling and when hooked up to the city water it filled up the 10 gal waste tank and flooded the compartment.

I could go on and on with all the modifications I’ve done....

Good luck!!

Patrick
Old 10-10-2018, 05:35 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

We bought a new 2017 29VE at the end of the season last year and unfortunately had lots of annoying problems. The shower drain was not connected (not just leaking - it was actually not connected!), the fill line to the water tank was not connected (it was capped off so you couldn't fill the tank), the invertor was DOA upon delivery and lots of door fit up issues. How the unit ever got through the factory or dealer QC checks with the plumbing issues is beyond me. After 2 warranty trips to the dealer we got everything fixed and its been fine ever since. The lesson is to use the unit a lot the first year to find all the issues and be very aggressive with the dealer to get them fixed.
Harvey2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 06:35 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Harvey2. We had a shower leak as while only did it one time then i couldn't get it to do it again at the dealer. Just wondering if you get a loud thumping noise come from the middle and top part of the rv. Just got back from the dealer after it has been there for 3 weeks to get stuff done. It was there for 3 weeks before this and they only fixed half the stuff. OOPs back to the noise from the awning topper from the slide this is where we think the noise is coming from. they are going to get in touch with winnebago about what to do.If you look at the 2019 winnie They have a different set up with 2 supports not just one in the middle. So just wondering if you had this problem. Thanks
Old 10-14-2018, 06:14 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

We have a Vista LX 27N (2016)... in the FIRST year of ownership we had... rusting vertical hinges on the outside compartments (replaced under warranty)... leaking compartments when driving through rain (after 4 repairs still leak)...failed pull down blind (repaired onec then failed again)... went in to have brakes looked at and the Ford truck center informed me both front tire worn due to misalignment... Winnebago agreed to 50% of 2 new tires (apparently you are supposed to get an alignment on a new MH after you first load it)
flapwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 06:34 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Had a 26-ft Vista some years back and had nothing but trouble with it. Finally traded it for a 30-ft. Itasca Cambria and am very happy now. Would not recommend the Vista based on my experience.
bunny2448 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 09:07 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

No issues with the slide topper thumping. The leading edge of the topper does flap a lot at highway speeds. I'm trying to figure out a way to fix that.

The only mods I've done is a steering stabilizer. Still researching suspension mods. There is lots to read about the CHF, Sumo Springs, better shocks, etc. I would like to reduce body roll and sway.
Harvey2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 11:35 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnieKJB View Post
Just like to here your thoughts on this Motorhome. I have had a lot of problems with mine. Also any updates you have done to it. Thanks.

I purchased a new 2018 Vista 29VE in Nov 2017. So far almost everything on it except the AC unit and the drive train has been in the shop for repairs or replacement. Our RV has been in repair shops of and on for over 6 months. We are now going this weekend to our 3rd RV shop recommended by Winnebago to see if the issues can get resolved.
I feel like most of the issues could have been found during a good QC check in that most dealers brag that they do but usually dont. Most of my experience is that the dealers here in AZ are all about selling and not servicing. So I am sure it wouldnt have been down as much if their quality was better. But still for the price we spent I was hoping for a better unit.
We have had everything from Hot water tank go out, to bathroom door not opening, to being locked out of the main door because bolts came loose, to auto level not working, and now the refrigerator doesnt switch to gas automatically.
I am keeping my fingers crossed that the recommended dealer that I have to drive 4 hours to get too can get all of these items fixed.
jeepfamRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 06:26 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Oh Boy! We were not prepared to learn of all these build issues with Winnebago!... Who is in charge of quality control and fittings used in their new rigs... I am thinking I should put together a comprehensive tool kit before we leave for our annual Florida trip just to take care of the shoddy workmanship...I really don't want to spend my time at the beach..fixing my brand new Winnebago!..
Reniram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 07:36 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

QC is a sad joke with Winnebago these days

I have a 2016 Vista LX 30T and like others it seems to spend more time at the dealers repair facility than us using it. The biggest issue is the Lippert/LCI leveling system that has a problem with leaking down pressure after a day or so illuminating the jacks down warning light. They have twice replaced the entire pump/manifold assembly and this time it has been at their facility over two months to change out the second pump. I have repeatedly asked for an explaination of why they have to replace the pump a second time and get no reply. In addition the entry steps had to be replaced and numerous other issues, frankly I am so dissappointed in Winnebago I would never consider another of their products.
tortoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 08:29 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

wow sounds like a lot of issues with the vista. Mine has been back and forth to the dealer for a total of six weeks and they never get anything fixed properly. The last time it was in I stood bye and watched the service tech fix a couple of the issues before we headed out for are six month journey. Still have things to get fixed but mostly annoying noisy sounds that drive my nuts while going down the yellow brick road.Love the floor plan but hate the workmanship!!!

2018 Winnebago Vista 29VE
Old 10-17-2018, 02:22 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

We picked up our 2018 VE about a month ago. A couple minor issues that are no big deal.

However I am getting a pretty good vibration at about 60 mph. I have checked tire pressure. I am planning on doing the CHF but want to rule out any defects first.
ScooterRaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 06:22 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScooterRaton View Post
We picked up our 2018 VE about a month ago. A couple minor issues that are no big deal.

However I am getting a pretty good vibration at about 60 mph. I have checked tire pressure. I am planning on doing the CHF but want to rule out any defects first.
How is yours for noises? Do you get a thumping sound coming from the middle of the rv? I get it coming from the slide out topper. Its so long and only one support in the middle of it with some play in the bracket. If you look at the 2019 ones they changed the design.
Old 10-17-2018, 07:01 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnieKJB View Post
How is yours for noises? Do you get a thumping sound coming from the middle of the rv? I get it coming from the slide out topper. Its so long and only one support in the middle of it with some play in the bracket. If you look at the 2019 ones they changed the design.

Not bad on noise, however we moved from a Class C Sprinter type diesel.
ScooterRaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 06:35 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

2017 brown nose 29ve

We have one of the first 29ve’s off the line taking delivery in March 2016 Currently have 17000 miles on it. We had some quality issues more PITA stuff but have worked thru it. We love the coach. The layout is just what we wanted. Have added suspension upgrades of Sumo Springs and a safety plus steering damper. Highly recommended! Added 4 pullout drawers to the skinny cabinet next the refridge and made the cabinet useful! Mounted a vinyl square fence post under the rear of the coach and then added a 7 footfold up ladder. Sweet!! We tow a 2006 Scion XB and get 8 miles to the gallon. Hope this helps!! Enjoy every day or you wasted one
Westy67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 12:43 AM   #17
Winnebago Camper

did you do the pull out drawers yourself and was it hard to do? do you have some photos of it would be great. I did add the safe-t-plus bar and did the CHF and it did help now thinking os rear sway bar or sumo. we are liking ours so far but still have a few things to fix. We now just develop a crack in the windshield coming from the top right down the middle about 12" long and now the fan above the bed stopped working. Have you thought about adding a fan in the kitchen I see they have done so on the 2019 ones.
Old 11-01-2018, 05:14 AM   #18
Winnebago Camper

Unhappy Vista owner & service issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westy67 View Post
We have one of the first 29ve’s off the line taking delivery in March 2016 Currently have 17000 miles on it. We had some quality issues more PITA stuff but have worked thru it. We love the coach. The layout is just what we wanted. Have added suspension upgrades of Sumo Springs and a safety plus steering damper. Highly recommended! Added 4 pullout drawers to the skinny cabinet next the refridge and made the cabinet useful! Mounted a vinyl square fence post under the rear of the coach and then added a 7 footfold up ladder. Sweet!! We tow a 2006 Scion XB and get 8 miles to the gallon. Hope this helps!! Enjoy every day or you wasted one
Thanks for taking the time to share, like others I am curious about the pull out drawers you added to skinny cabinet, pictures would be great and much appreciated.

Also glad to hear your problems have been minor in nature, I have had a world of grief with the Lippert/LCI leveling system on my 2016 Vista 30T. Started as a minor intermittent jacks down warning six months after delivery. Dealer (LaMesa, Davis CA) was unable to reproduce but documented and assured me not to worry as Winnebago was fair about taking care of warranty items. Long story short when the problem got worse and I went back second time by now first year warranty expired and LaMesa said tough luck no extended warranty purchased so they started with $4800 estimate to replace pump/manifold assembly. I raised holy hell and said not a chance as this issue started under warranty period. Thankfully Lippert/LCI has two year warranty and they honored it and provided new pump/manifold assembly, and I was able to get LaMesa to convince Winnebago to eat the labor for install. Fine except when I brought it home problem was even worse than before new pump. So I started all over again, had to wait three months for service appointment, and after delivering it for second attempt they took almost three months to diagnose and finally replace a second manifold/pump assembly with no explanation as to why the first pump did not work. I am happy to report however that the second repair seems to have done the job and after having the coach back for several weeks now I am convinced they finally found and fixed the problem. They also had to replace the entry door step due to a stripped gear and again this started under warranty but by the time we got to fixing I had to fight with them to honor the warranty but i did prevail mostly due to having very good paper trail of documentation via emails to service manager.

Finally we got the Safety+ Steering stabilizer like you and I consider it a very good investment on two points, in the event of a blowout in front it is likely to save our bacon and secondly just in general it handles a lot better on rough roads and tends to want to stay centered and makes driving easier.

We love our Vista, but the first two years have been a nightmare with more time dealing with repairs than actual enjoyment.
tortoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 06:25 AM   #19
Winnebago Camper

Pictures of drawers in skinny cabinet

Here are some pictures of the drawers in the skinny cabinet next to fridge in the 29ve
Used mahogany with under drawer mount drawer slides 22 inches deep. To some trial and fit but persevere the result is worth it
Sorry to hear about everyone’s issues. Stay strong document and fight your battles. I did get results 3 times talking to Winnebago service manager. I was disappointed with the initial Winnebago quality but overall it is a well built coach. If you haven’t done it yet put a bead of caulk under your dinette sides as any water spill or leakage and those sides will suck up water like a sponge and your sponge wood panels will swell up. New panels are $110 each plus shipping
Also check the tightness of the fitting st the back of the water pump just to make sure it doesn’t leak. Best of luck to everyone
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A0782C32-E04A-4538-99B1-BFD82E22E08F.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	194.3 KB
ID:	170495   Click image for larger version

Name:	0E26D802-9609-4EF6-A381-23D38676DEC0.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	214.8 KB
ID:	170496  

Click image for larger version

Name:	E3CD7E18-0903-408C-B9C0-26274E839FE6.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	246.2 KB
ID:	170497   Click image for larger version

Name:	1598266D-E570-4EAF-A60E-A8F3BE9B3431.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	190.1 KB
ID:	170498  

Westy67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 06:39 AM   #20
Winnebago Camper

coach batteries discharged

We just purchased a new Vista 29ve. On our maiden voyage back home from the dealer of 1200 miles we slept in it 3 times and had the furnace running at night. Everything worked perfectly.
After we got home the unit sat for 3 days. I was surprised when I went in it after 3 days that the coach batteries were completely discharged. The furnace was not being used for those 3 days of sitting. What can cause this? Any and all ideas would be appreciated. Thanks
Jimztoy is offline   Reply With Quote