Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-02-2008, 11:16 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Hi
A Winnebago Journey 32 has cought my eye, but beeing an avid reaser of this forum, I am a little concerned about the 190" wheelbase.
The Journey is advertised with a 300 bhp engine and allison transmision.
I own a Winnebago at the moment so would be happy to keep the quality.
Any advice or comments would be very helpfull.
Regards
Tel
tel999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 11:16 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Hi
A Winnebago Journey 32 has cought my eye, but beeing an avid reaser of this forum, I am a little concerned about the 190" wheelbase.
The Journey is advertised with a 300 bhp engine and allison transmision.
I own a Winnebago at the moment so would be happy to keep the quality.
Any advice or comments would be very helpfull.
Regards
Tel
Old 04-03-2008, 04:06 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Assume you are conerned about the wheelbase as possible handling problem. We own a 2004 Journey 32T and have no complaints about how the coach handles and have none of the aftermarket handling packages. Only had a couple of problems with ours. Had a defective toilet, exhaust hanger broke, right front wheel bearing seal leaked, slow jack retraction, florescent ceiling lights interfere with Sony TV remote control operation, Dimensions 2000 watt inverter/charger boiling coach batteries.

We get about 9 to 10 mpg. If the coach has the Sony Color backup camera, make sure it is working. Sony had a big problem for about 2 years with the CCD cameras. We have a defective one and Sony will do nothing to replace or fix it. RV market is niche.

2004 Journey 32T
MNGolfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 06:41 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I too considered a 32T back in '06 when I was shopping. I settled on a 34H which also has the same reputation for poor handling because of the short wheelbase.

I considered putting stabilizers and handling packages until I had my first alignment when it was in for its IM. However, after having a tech really fine tune the alignment specs, I have reconsidered and probably won't do aftermarket add-ons because I'm now satisfied on how it handles.

Sure, it's not like having a 40 footer's stability but it's now quite acceptable as long as your expectations are not too great or you're not real finicky about wander. The shorter the wheelbase, the more the sensation of wander so I know that going in and like I say, am now satisfied with the alignment specs now dialed in a little more precisely.

I've talked to owners of 32T's and some have had aftermarket work done for handling purposes but it seems like most are like Donn in that they are satisfied with how it handles once they realize it's inherently not going to handle like a longer coach.

If you do buy it and are dissatisfied with the handling, try the alignment solution first as if you get a good tech who can pay close attention to the specs and road test it to fine tune it even more, you might be surprised at how much it helps.

Good luck.
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 09:46 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I have an '01 and not a problem. Love the rig.

Nick
Old 04-03-2008, 11:54 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Thank you guy's
Please keep the info coming
Regards
Tel
Old 04-03-2008, 04:46 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Purchased an 36G '07 in July. 32T was on the list. But the Cat C7 (350hp) is a great motor. Plus the extra room!

I can, too, attest to a good alignment. I had mine realigned in Jan. Winnebago "reversed" the aligment specs. You know how Winnie says they won't cover alignment under warranty? They didn't even push-back. My alignment was done under warranty. Total reversal. (good for Winnie - step'n up!)

If size is a concern I'd go w/ the 34. Little more room, CAT 350, etc. I'm not related, nor do I know the fellow, but there's a guy on here selling a sweet '07 34H. He's located in Orange County, CA. Looks like a lot of extra's and a really nice ride!

Oh, with 4800 miles on my 36G, my first tank was 6.9, second - fouth fill-up was 7.4mpg, fifth fill-up was 8.3mpg, sixth 9.6mpg and I acheived 7.3 on my last tank (towed a 6300lb toy hauler). I reset the computer every tank/fill-up. All trips were Hwy 8 out of San Diego or up the Devore Pass NE of Riverside, CA. Can't wait until it 'breaks-in'!
luckymick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 05:19 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

I have a 04 Journey. I had problem with handling. Pulled to the left and would wounder down the the road. I took it and got a aligement.They had to wedge the left side of the axles. Now it drives like a dream.I allso had the coached weighted as I travel. Each wheel was wieghted and then adjusted my tire air pressure for that weight on the front and rear.
Randy Chesnutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 07:55 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

My 32T Itasca has never had any handling problems. I had a slight pull to one side when I first brought it home, but the standard alignment cured that issue. Most folks that warn you away from a 32' rig have never ridden in one. At least not a pusher. As has been already said, get a 4 corner weight and adjust the tire pressure accordingly. I get 9-10 MPG and have the toad with me all the time.

Good luck, Sarge

Our Travel Blog www.mytripjournal.com/rvnchickalaska
SargeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 04:47 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

I also have a 2004 32T journey which I bought used. I had the same concerns before I bought it and asked a number of people about the handling before I bought. I can say that I travel by myself (and am female which you can probably tell by my name) and have had absolutely no trouble with the handling of my coach. Ironically, mine is for sale right now, merely because my husband who is in a wheelchair has expressed a desire to be able to travel with me. So, I'll be going back to a 40' if and when I sell my 32T. I have absolutely nothing negative to say about this coach and I previously owned a 40' Monaco Diplomat and a 36' Journey. The Monaco didn't handle any better than either of my Journeys. I hope this is helpful.

Bonnie
Old 04-04-2008, 10:52 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Hi
You guys are just brilliant, I started this post being unsure as to the viability of the 32 and you have put my mind to rest. I really want to stay with Winnebago as i highly rate the product.
Now all I have to do is find a good one and ship it to the UK.
If anyone hears of one for sale I would be gratefull.
Once again thanks all of you.
Regards
Tel
Old 04-04-2008, 12:31 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by bjyoung29:
I also have a 2004 32T journey which I bought used. I had the same concerns before I bought it and asked a number of people about the handling before I bought. I can say that I travel by myself (and am female which you can probably tell by my name) and have had absolutely no trouble with the handling of my coach. Ironically, mine is for sale right now, merely because my husband who is in a wheelchair has expressed a desire to be able to travel with me. So, I'll be going back to a 40' if and when I sell my 32T. I have absolutely nothing negative to say about this coach and I previously owned a 40' Monaco Diplomat and a 36' Journey. The Monaco didn't handle any better than either of my Journeys. I hope this is helpful.

Bonnie </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

^^^^

theroc is offline   Reply With Quote