Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-03-2022, 07:46 AM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Question Another Rear View Camera Question

Another rear view camera post to see if anyone has had to address this issue. I did the obligatory search and couldn’t find anything specific

Ours started to fade a few months ago and it now looks washed out. The camera is clean inside and out, but as you can see, it doesn’t look anything like it did when it was working properly (overcast day, no sun glare). None of the picture adjustments on the receiver help.

So, is it the camera, or is it a display input processing problem?

The other screens on the display look OK. The camera looks to be discontinued from Furrion and the concerning news is I could only pull out about a foot of the camera wire after removing the grommet, didn’t see any connectors. I’m hoping this isn’t a one piece wire to the front, I suppose I could splice in connectors if necessary. I found a company that sells a wired camera that looks to be similar so I can source a replacement that will likely require some connection work,, if it actually is the camera.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
BT
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4451.JPG
Views:	38
Size:	79.8 KB
ID:	181595   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4452.JPG
Views:	39
Size:	113.2 KB
ID:	181596  

Old 01-12-2022, 01:24 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Honestly it looks like the image is just washed out, as in brightness too high or something. Check your monitor Radio book to see where those setting are.

Not sure what the input is to your monitor/radio, but the one on my monitor is a simple yellow rca video jack. You should have some devices you could plug into the monitor to see if the picture is ok.

Next, if your unit has the side cameras that turn on with the turn signals there should be a controller somewhere under the dash that accepts the three camera signals. If the side cameras look ok, then your rear camera could be the cuplrit.

If replacement is what you decide on, I would contact Winnebago at [email protected] and ask them for the drawings showing your cable routing. Sometimes there is a connector close to the camera for ease of removal, sometimes there is not and you would need to remove the whole cable. If you were to need to replace the whole cable use the old one to pull the new one.

Let us know what you find out.
Old 01-12-2022, 03:46 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

I carried a TV out from the house (bedroom) and connected it to the camera feed from inside the dash. Same thing, washed out. The picture adjustments on the radio don’t help, I tried that first.

I called Winnebago customer support last week and learned the cable is three pieces, a short pigtail at the radio (with the RCA jacks & power supply) a long run back to the rear fascia, then plugged into the camera lead which is 21” long. This is where it gets good. I told them I could only pull about a foot of wire out from the grommet hole and couldn’t get to the plug. Was told sometimes the long cable (front to rear) is too short and I would need to remove the fascia to get to the plug. Not looking forward to that.

Then, I talked to Furion about a replacement camera. That camera is discontinued & not available, and since they are moving their operations over to LCI, they weren’t shipping anything for a few months anyway.

So,,, after a lengthy search for a camera, I found a “suitable” replacement camera on Amazon that I’ve already purchased, same resolution, IP69K rated, with IR night vision. So,,, Plan “A” is to remove the row of screws across the bottom of the fascia to see if I can gain access to the plug from underneath. Plan “B” is to cut off the old camera lead and splice on a plug from the long extension cable provided with the new camera. Then plug in the new camera and tuck the splice & camera plug into the grommet hole. The vendor provides the pin-out for the new camera so I’ll just need to ring out the existing cable.

With the weather gone bad and I messed up my back with the snow blower last week, It may be a while until I get around to the “fix”. It’s the easy jobs that always get me.
Old 01-12-2022, 05:25 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by thompwil View Post
I carried a TV out from the house (bedroom) and connected it to the camera feed from inside the dash. Same thing, washed out. The picture adjustments on the radio don’t help, I tried that first.

I called Winnebago customer support last week and learned the cable is three pieces, a short pigtail at the radio (with the RCA jacks & power supply) a long run back to the rear fascia, then plugged into the camera lead which is 21” long. This is where it gets good. I told them I could only pull about a foot of wire out from the grommet hole and couldn’t get to the plug. Was told sometimes the long cable (front to rear) is too short and I would need to remove the fascia to get to the plug. Not looking forward to that.

Then, I talked to Furion about a replacement camera. That camera is discontinued & not available, and since they are moving their operations over to LCI, they weren’t shipping anything for a few months anyway.

So,,, after a lengthy search for a camera, I found a “suitable” replacement camera on Amazon that I’ve already purchased, same resolution, IP69K rated, with IR night vision. So,,, Plan “A” is to remove the row of screws across the bottom of the fascia to see if I can gain access to the plug from underneath. Plan “B” is to cut off the old camera lead and splice on a plug from the long extension cable provided with the new camera. Then plug in the new camera and tuck the splice & camera plug into the grommet hole. The vendor provides the pin-out for the new camera so I’ll just need to ring out the existing cable.

With the weather gone bad and I messed up my back with the snow blower last week, It may be a while until I get around to the “fix”. It’s the easy jobs that always get me.
Do you have a link to the suitable camera system that you bought?
spierce617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 06:46 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by spierce617 View Post
Do you have a link to the suitable camera system that you bought?

I’m giving this one a try, for 50 bucks I’ll give it a whirl. It’s aluminum (Chineseium alloy ) and has some weight to it. There’s a couple other similar ones available too but I went with this one since they were very helpful in answering my questions, it comes with the extra cable and plug that I may need, and it was in stock in Delaware. Not to mention the Furion direct replacement is not available until, who knows? Fingers crossed

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08C4V84D1...roduct_details

Tags
camera, view