Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-18-2019, 10:28 AM   #1
2006 Itasca Meridian 39K

Another Electrical Problem

This morning I checked my 2006 Meridian and found most of the outlets aren't working. Heres what I know:

1. The microwave led's are on, but when I try the oven it stops after one second.
2. The bathroom outlet works
3. I checked all the circuit breakers under the bed and they are all in the regular position
4. Outlets not working include the bedroom outlets, front room outlets, over the counter.
5. I cycled the bathroom gfi, it tripped the circuit breaker, I reset the breaker and cycled the feeder circuit in the barn, then the bathroom outlet worked.

Are there other 110v breakers in the system other than the ones under the bed?

Never had this problem before, it does sit out in the nasty Iowa weather.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.
Wingchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 10:45 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I'm not familiar with this model, but my question to you is the following: does your unit have 50 amp electrical service? If so, one of the legs may not be hot (due to bad breaker, open circuit in wire, dirty connection where plugged in ...). I've had this happen to me before (in my house) when one of the hot legs went dead (due to a power company issue). There's no reason why this issue should impact the microwave, however, as it appears to have power.
Old 02-18-2019, 11:16 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Here's a link to the full wiring diagrams for your coach: 2006 Meridian IKP39K. Here are the 110 Volt Load Center/Auto Transfer Switch diagram and Body, 110 Volt Wiring Diagram (from that page).

Just fyi, a tripped circuit breaker may still look like it's switched on--you need to switch it off and then back on to make sure it's properly reset. You inverter will have a circuit breaker on it as well.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 12:52 PM   #4
2006 Itasca Meridian 39K

Thanks for the help. Found a second gfi which I reset and all is fine. I'm new to this MH so didn't know there were two gfi's (dah).
Wingchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 02:56 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbeierl View Post
Here's a link to the full wiring diagrams for your coach: 2006 Meridian IKP39K. Here are the 110 Volt Load Center/Auto Transfer Switch diagram and Body, 110 Volt Wiring Diagram (from that page).

Are there wiring and plumbing diagrams available for the travel trailers? I poked around the Winnebago site and don't see them; I see those for motor homes, though.

Thanks.
Old 02-18-2019, 03:41 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by SummitPond View Post
Are there wiring and plumbing diagrams available for the travel trailers? I poked around the Winnebago site and don't see them; I see those for motor homes, though.

Thanks.
I'm not aware of any on the web, but I would recommend calling Winnebago Owner Relations and asking--they may well be able to provide what you need.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 10:58 PM   #7
2015 Itasca Spirit 27QP

Check your voltage with an accurate AC voltmeter. Looks to me like a power loss between the shore power source and the appliance. Check your cables for corrosion and possible resistance overheating (melting, burning) in the plug/socket interface. Check the outlet voltage in the rig first and see if it is below 110 volts AC, if so, measure half way back to the source at the plug/socket interface and so on. It is normal to lose voltage with long under-sized cables which will heat up with substantial appliance load, like the A/C. This is not good and the cables need to be upgraded. Loose or corroded wire connections within the RV, like at the breaker panel or outlets may also cause voltage drop, heating and arcing, especially in older units. This needs to be corrected, preferably by an electrician, to avoid a potential fire hazard.
JoeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 10:12 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Good to check up the second GFI...look for the simple fix first , before rewiring the whole coach!
1953m38a1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 03:42 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

I was going to suggest that you check all of the outlets. I have an Adventurer and had a similar problem. After a lot of tail-chasing, I found that all 3 circuits each have a gfi receptacle.
John Durden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 05:20 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

The GFCI should be on the outlet closest (wire-wise) to the breaker.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 10:54 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Tripped GFCI devices are a very common cause of frustrations. Keep in mind GFCI devices do fail and need to be replaced periodically. Very frequently, when only one area of an RV has lost AC power its because of a GFCI device somewhere.
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electrical