Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-27-2019, 04:24 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

alignment

think about have my 37' adventure tires aligned. What would be a fair price?
jcl071441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 08:41 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Chances are the only setting is toe which can be done with a tape measure.
WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 08:57 AM   #3

I just had my new Vista 29VE done by a local truck shop (Tampa Spring) and they adjusted it on all 3 axes (camber, caster and toe). And yes, it needed shims and the axle bent to get it right. It was only about $300.

The first thing that all Winnebago manuals say is to get a front wheel alignment. An alignment is done by Ford when they leave their factory but when the weight of the coach is added to the chassis almost every rig that leaves the Winnebago factory needs to be done again!!!!
ddaudelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 12:10 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I was quoted $200 but after it was done they said it barely needed adjustment and only charged me $90.
Old 02-01-2019, 03:41 PM   #5
Let's kill some bugs!

Pete's quoted me $199 for the alignment. It's a 2018 Vista 32YE and the steering wheel wasn't straight when driving straight. It was extra to make the steering wheel straight, which I thought was a ripoff. I also ask for the cheap suspension fix to be done at the same time. $340 total at Pete's Tire in Fullerton, CA. This guy was slow, he took his time, and they charge by the hour. The RV front end was clearly out of alignment according to the computer printout. Glad I had it aligned as a baseline to know it's good. It appears they don't align these at Winnebago. I think Winnebago expects the dealer to do that, and the PO didn't demand it when he bought it I guess.
John Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 06:14 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinnieView View Post
Chances are the only setting is toe which can be done with a tape measure.
After our Alaska to Indiana and back last August I noticed a little bit of abnormal wear on the outside edges of the front tires. Took it to an alignment center that specializes in RVs and as part of the check in the question was asked specifically why I felt an alignment was needed, to which I mentioned that it pulled slightly to the right, and I added I thought it might be just a simple toe-in issue. After the mechanic looked at it he said the toe was within specs but the caster was out by a few degrees which was putting more pressure on those outside tire edges. Unfortunately Ford didn't install adjustable bushings on the E450 A-arms at the factory so he had to get some new ones to fix it. The total cost was just over $300 which I didn't think was unreasonable. The result was great though - no pulling at all, and they rotated the front tires to the back duallies.
Old 02-02-2019, 09:39 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I would think these chassis come in some sort of basic alignment from the factory as they are often driven 1,000 - 2,000 miles or more to dealers across the country.
Old 02-02-2019, 11:49 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishBear View Post
I would think these chassis come in some sort of basic alignment from the factory as they are often driven 1,000 - 2,000 miles or more to dealers across the country.

"Basic" is probably the operative word. Being loaded with gear and supplies likely has an effect too.
Old 02-03-2019, 01:00 AM   #9
Let's kill some bugs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by akeagle View Post
"Basic" is probably the operative word. Being loaded with gear and supplies likely has an effect too.
My alignment shop said most RV manufacturers don't align the RV after it's built. Ford aligns them good enough to drive, but after the RV manufacturer adds 10,000lbs of body and equipment on the chassis, it needs aligned for that weight. I think Ford expects the RV manufacturers to align their chassis after completion of the RV, which only makes sense, but it appears they don't. The better dealers apparently know this and bring their new stock in for alignment before they sell them. I think Winnebago should mandate all their dealers to align their RV's before letting customers taking possession, if Winnebago isn't aligning them. My new Vista 32YE was not only out of alignment for toe and caster, the steering wheel wasn't straight, it was sitting at 45 degree right when driving straight. I'm glad I took it in.
John Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 09:35 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Locke View Post
Pete's quoted me $199 for the alignment. It's a 2018 Vista 32YE and the steering wheel wasn't straight when driving straight. It was extra to make the steering wheel straight, which I thought was a ripoff. I also ask for the cheap suspension fix to be done at the same time. $340 total at Pete's Tire in Fullerton, CA. This guy was slow, he took his time, and they charge by the hour. The RV front end was clearly out of alignment according to the computer printout. Glad I had it aligned as a baseline to know it's good. It appears they don't align these at Winnebago. I think Winnebago expects the dealer to do that, and the PO didn't demand it when he bought it I guess.
FYI, the rear axle out of alignment is the main cause of the steering wheel not being "level". A total alignment is required for excellent results. This website is specific to heavy duty trucks, however the same mechanics apply.https://www.tirecorral.net/auto-repa...alignment.aspx
FWIW, a total alignment was performed on my MH last summer. The rear axle was out of alignment by 3/4", technician said it appeared like it came from the factory that way, cost = $300 + state tax.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 12:09 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Alignment

Our 26HE steering wheel was 30 degrees off and it pulled slightly.
At about 20,000 miles the right front tire had worn more than the others. I was incredibly lucky that found 1 new matching tire on eBay and another new matching one on Craigslist. Bought both and had them installed on the front and had a $180 alignment done. They did have to use shims. Drives great now
Kept the less worn tire as a spare
Edbehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 12:11 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

They can't align them for you as the alignment has to be done to match how you load the coach for traveling. Everybody loads their coaches slightly differently as some fill the fresh water tanks while other don't, some may load up heavy cookware and china plates while other will use plastic ware/paper plates and prepared foods or get take out, bring tools, camping gear, etc.

When you bring your coach in for alignment it needs to be laden for travel and not empty in order for the alignment to be done correctly plus you need to already have it 4 corner weighed and the tires inflated to match those weights per the tire manufacturers chart.

Winnebago aligns the coaches for being transported empty when they deliver them.
Old 02-04-2019, 07:39 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

I was quoted $325 in Fort Worth, TX, at the shop the RV and truck places recommended since none of them seemed to want to do an alignment. If anyone in the DFW area knows of an RV alignment shop place please post it. Thanks, all.
Old 02-04-2019, 11:45 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by peggwn View Post
I was quoted $325 in Fort Worth, TX, at the shop the RV and truck places recommended since none of them seemed to want to do an alignment. If anyone in the DFW area knows of an RV alignment shop place please post it. Thanks, all.

When I discovered the alignment issue with my Minnie Winnie I first went to the dealer that sold her to me. They said they didn't have the capability to do alignments and referred me to a local shop where they take their rentals for front end work. They did a very good job quickly and for a reasonable price.
Old 02-05-2019, 07:40 AM   #15
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilV View Post
They can't align them for you as the alignment has to be done to match how you load the coach for traveling. Everybody loads their coaches slightly differently as some fill the fresh water tanks while other don't, some may load up heavy cookware and china plates while other will use plastic ware/paper plates and prepared foods or get take out, bring tools, camping gear, etc.

When you bring your coach in for alignment it needs to be laden for travel and not empty in order for the alignment to be done correctly plus you need to already have it 4 corner weighed and the tires inflated to match those weights per the tire manufacturers chart.

Winnebago aligns the coaches for being transported empty when they deliver them.
Question; does what you said mean if I have my Jeep aligned, then pickup my daughter and her family, my Jeep will not be aligned properly since it changed the load(500#) and balance?
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 09:15 AM   #16
Winnebago Owner

In our area the Ford Dealer did not have the capacity to align larger rigs... nothing larger than F-450 pickups or regular passenger vans (less than 24 feet). They advised going to a truck shop. Lots of truck shops don't have alignment systems and those that I found with that ability are not willing to do MH's. I was directed to a fairly large towing/collision/repair company in our town and they have the equipment to align larger rigs. Specialized equipment equals more $ but if you need it, you need it.
Old 02-06-2019, 12:14 PM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Would you mind letting us know the name of that alignment shop and where is it? Thank you.
Old 02-06-2019, 12:17 PM   #18
Winnebago Owner

A PM has been sent to you
Old 02-06-2019, 03:03 PM   #19
Winnebago Owner

Sorry for the confusion, folks. I meant to ask if anyone knows of an alignment shop and where is it IN THE DALLAS/FORT WORTH area? Thank you.