Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-16-2014, 12:12 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Adventurer rear camera question

Wondering if the rear camera on my 2013 Adventurer is adjustable. Seems it points almost straight down. Maybe thats its intent but I'd like to see alittle more behind me. Thanks in advance.
Old 04-16-2014, 07:27 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

It is designed for backing up and for viewing a towed item - trailer or car. It's not for hiway viewing. Mine cuts off at about 20' behind the coach, views up to the bumper area.

That said you should be able to adjust the camera within it's housing. You should have gotten an installation manual on it with the literature pack. It will tell you how to do that.
CJBROWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 07:56 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJBROWN View Post
It is designed for backing up and for viewing a towed item - trailer or car. It's not for hiway viewing. Mine cuts off at about 20' behind the coach, views up to the bumper area.

That said you should be able to adjust the camera within it's housing. You should have gotten an installation manual on it with the literature pack. It will tell you how to do that.

Right, it's purpose is as you said. I do however, use it to make sure that car I passed/or changing lanes, I really have passed, including the towed.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 11:37 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

We have bikes on the back of the toad and the camera cuts off just before them.
I too would love to be able to adjust the camera just a little bit to keep an eye on the car and the bikes. I was told it cannot be done or maybe they just did not know how? As far as I can tell there is no access to the camera from the inside back wall.
Yes I use the camera when passing to see the cars along side.
Ellen
Old 04-26-2014, 03:21 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

It seems to me that the people who design things all around us never do use them.
Why not have a 'rear view' camera as well as a 'back up' camera. switchable? While I am at it, can anyone tell me why my camera is reversed? When all of a sudden I see a car on the right side of the screen passing very fast, my first thought is that someone is on my right, usually the shoulder, and what the heck is going on????
I'm sure I will get used to it but that doesn't mean I like it.
HoBo Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 03:47 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I would purchase an additional camera for rear view purposes. When I signal for a lane change, the side view is better but the switching is a little delayed for busy traffic when you have to change lanes quickly. Nice to have an after market option. Inventors/innovators/manufacturers?
cochise1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 06:16 PM   #7
Site Team

This looks interesting....
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Twin-Rear-Vi...-/221369803252

2013 Itasca Sunstar 26HE, 2014 Honda CRV with Roadmaster tow package, RVing on weekends and vacation since June 2012
macnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 06:23 PM   #8
Site Team

I'm not sure how I would route a second wire to the monitor...

2013 Itasca Sunstar 26HE, 2014 Honda CRV with Roadmaster tow package, RVing on weekends and vacation since June 2012
macnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 03:07 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Yes it should be adjustable, first take a closer look at the enclosure it is in. You should be able to remove it via a couple of screws. Then you will need a allen set to loosen the adjustment screws on the side of the camera.
Your model MH has a fiberglass cap on the rear and all of the cables are in between the actual rear of the MH and the cap.
As others have said, you could always install another camera to the system or even another system all together. If your plate is in the middle of the rear then there are several, wireless systems you could install that may fill the bill.
Old 04-27-2014, 08:04 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoBo Bill View Post
It seems to me that the people who design things all around us never do use them.
Why not have a 'rear view' camera as well as a 'back up' camera. switchable? While I am at it, can anyone tell me why my camera is reversed? When all of a sudden I see a car on the right side of the screen passing very fast, my first thought is that someone is on my right, usually the shoulder, and what the heck is going on????
Some camera monitors have an option to "reverse" the image. My Voyager came that way, when I see an approaching car on my right, it is on my right.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 02:27 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

One major purpose for the camera is to see the ball of your hitch when you are backing up to a trailer, boat, etc. In order to do this it has to point straight down. Mine is adjustable, there is a bracket that it mounts into that can be loosened an moved.
Old 04-28-2014, 03:05 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

I was able to adjust ours for another 20 - 30 ft of view and still see most of the tow bar. I had to grind some of the top of the cover openning, or it just cut the top of the picture.
Cousin Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 07:35 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Regarding the reverse image. I replaced my rear view camera last year and it had the reverse view from what I was familiar with. A call to the supplier revealed that a blank screw, on the body of the camera needed to be unscrewed and placed into an empty threaded hole on the opposite side of the camera. This change realigned the view to which I was accustomed to i.e. a vehicle on the right side of the monitor meant a car was passing me on the inside lane.)
Lt46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 08:22 PM   #14
Winnebago Watcher

Hey, that's actually a pretty good idea...I think I may see if I can extend my view.
Nuclear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 05:45 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoBo Bill View Post
I found out the reason for the camera 'reversal' is be cause they are also sold in places that drive on the left side of the road. Duh!
HoBo Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 06:43 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Camera image left to right is usually switchable.
CJBROWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 03:39 PM   #17
Winnebago Camper

On my 2013 sunstar 35F I needed to adjust the camera and found the bracket was installed upside down , removed the camera and flipped the bracket re-installed the camera and was able to get the adjustment I needed.
seadragonfla is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camera, vent