Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-28-2013, 09:05 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Adventurer overhead TV replacement

I am curious as to how many adventurer owners have tackled the ominous task of replacing the the beast of a TV in the overhead cabinet. We are about to update ours and are a little intimated by the task. Any words of advice or encouragement would be much appreciated.
Old 04-29-2013, 07:36 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

We have a 2005 Itasca Suncrusier (same as Adventurer) and had the dealer pull it out when we bought the RV. The tech said it was easy but it weighs almost 100 pounds so have help. Be aware that there is a rats nest of wires up there and almost none are labeled. As you remove the wires, tag them so you know where they went. Also, once the TV is out, you will have a big hole up there showing off your rats nest. We are planning to convert the area to additional cabinets. We are also planning to put an LCD TV just to the right of the door on an adjustable stand. It will raise up when we are stationary for viewing and will lower when we are moving. the cables that went to the overhead TV will be re-routed to the new TV.

PM if you have more questions
osgoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 10:50 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

If you search this forum for TV Replacement, there are many ideas on how this is done. Also, the following website has lots of ideas and descriptions.

Survey of CRT TV to LCD replacements
Old 04-29-2013, 01:27 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Here's a link to my thread showing my TV replacement in a 2003 Adventurer...

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f101/2003...ed-158329.html

By all means read up on replacing TV's.

Here's a link to the video that convinced me to do it myself:

Scott
Old 04-29-2013, 02:22 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

It's a worthwhile task for many reasons: A new TV will look better, take much less energy, and you will save a couple miles per gallon on your mileage not towing that boat anchor around everywhere! In addition, a new TV will be be able to receive the local channels using your rooftop antenna since the old unit was not digital.

I chose to buy a 32" LED TV that fit very snug between the cupboards (29.5" wide). I am glad I did as it does not stick out as far. I then basically used a bunch of steel erector angle from Home Depot and made a mount. I am very happy so far. Look for a TV with a line or RCA output so you can simply plug it in to the existing audio setup.

Would be happy to get you more info if you like.
Old 04-30-2013, 04:40 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Thanks you guys for the responses so far, I am finding a lot of information on the the topic. What I am not finding is info on actually removing the beast. I know there is probably a metal band holding it in place (already removed the back one) and possibly some adhesive? I'm thinking that when I remove the big plastic boat underneath the unit it may be obvious (I'm hoping). Any insight on this aspect of the job?
Old 04-30-2013, 09:08 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Yours is a couple years newer than mine but hopefully close. Mine had the molded plastic custom enclosure around the TV. The TV was an RCA I believe. The front bezel of the enclosure pulled off. Then, from the bottom you will see several little black screw covers. Take a small screwdriver and pry them off exposing the screws. These hold the bottom of the plastic enclosure. Remove that. Mine had a speaker and a lamp that needed to be removed then as well. Then you can see the metal frame that holds the TV. There is a strap across the front top with a couple bolts that need to be removed and then the actual TV is kept from sliding with velcro on the bottom. You just have to muscle it out - with help is suggested.

I removed the entire metal rack that held the TV and made a new mount. I see some have left it in. It's pretty heavy and doesn't look it would serve any purpose.
Old 04-30-2013, 03:46 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

With mine, on either side of the bezel, there are two self tapping screws--you can get to them by opening the cabinet to sides of the existing TV. It is a tight fit, but with a flashlight and a phillips screw driver you can see and remove the screws. Once they are removed, the bezel slides off. This is for the plastic bezel only. I don't know how a wood bezel is held in place. But below should be somewhat valid for your TV, at least I hope it is.

Once the bezel is off, you will see the entire TV and how it is held in place. In mine there was a metal strap tightened to the top of the TV by two bolts with nuts and blue thread locker on each side of the TV, about 1/4 way down from the top. Loosen the nuts completely, remove the nuts and the strap.

You will need another person. Have the other person hold the TV as you tilt it forward. Remove all connectors and label them. Next you have to deal with the power cord. With mine, I made sure the house power was off and the inverter was off, and cut the wire. If you want to go the unplug route, the other end of the power cord is likely plugged directly into the inverter. With the TV in the cabinet, you cannot reach around and unplug the cord. You will need to take the faceplate off the inverter (two screws) making sure you do not disconnect the TV/Radio speaker selector, then set it to the side of the inverter cabinet.

Next, you will have to remove two little nuts that hold the strap that holds the video selector switch in place--they are on either side of the strap. I believe they're 7/16" nuts. These are a pain as they are not standard nuts, they're hollow nuts, but are removed with a small extension and a ratchet to start, then just the socket and extension to finish.

Remove the strap, then slide the selector off to one side.

My inverter used Scotch Heavy Duty Dual Lock fasteners to keep it in place--but I got lucky, Winnebago used one side to wedge it into place. Once I saw that, I just slid the inverter to one side, then unplugged the now cut TV cord. If yours is actually fastened, you will need to use a flat head screw driver to gently pry the inverter from one-half of the Scotch fastener. After you do that, you can slide the inverter to one side and unplug the cord.

A word of warning here... the self tapping screws used to hold the bezel in place create sharp edges on the TV mount. Be careful. You can get a nasty cut. Don't ask how I know.

Now you and your helper can remove the TV. Be careful, old TV's are heavy. I just threw both tube TV's away. They're useless unless you have cable or satellite.

I hope this helps and is valid for your setup!

Scott
Old 05-01-2013, 06:26 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Thanks Scott and Bryan, between your two posts I think I have enough ammo to get started.
Old 05-01-2013, 03:55 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

You're welcome! If you have time, please let us know how it goes.

Scott

Tags
replacement