Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-24-2010, 05:59 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Adventurer heatpump A/C power question

I am wondering? is it possible to tap into my fuse box on the compressor 2 breaker and run a seperate feeder wire that I could plug into a 20 amp plug at the power box, along with pluging my 30 amp cord into the 30 amp plug on the same power box, in hopes of powering both compressors when 50 amps are not available?

After mostly never getting a 50 amp power supply from the parks here in washington state, and with hopefully the summer high heat getting here soon. I need to get more AC to my 38 ft 2008 Adventurer. running off 30 amps and 1/2 the AC just doesn't get the coach that comfortable.

I have also thought about adding a rooftop AC unit?

Ant thoughts would be MUCH apprieciated! Craig

Ultra Power program by Brazels
hondo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 06:15 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Go to Camping World.com and look for item 25774 which is an adapter with 30 amp and 20 amp male plugs and a 50 amp female receptacle. Will allow you to run everything in your coach without a true 50 amp connection.
RVing for 19 years & 150,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 06:36 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Alternatively, you can run both A/C compressors with 30 amps. Just load shed. Run the water heater from LP gas, and the fridge from LP if required. Don't use other elec items while both A/C compressors are running (hair dryer, microwave, toaster, etc). Even if you use those items (microwave, hair dryer, etc) the EMS will shed A/C compressor #2 and bring it back on line automatically when the offending item shuts off. This way you'll have full protection of the EMS. Both A/C compressors should draw about 24 to 27 amps in warm weather. (Note that the EMS is NOT a surge protector).

Thudman

Koni FSD's, TracBar rear, SteerSafe, 50A SurgeGuard, Eternabond; 2012 Honda CRV EXL w/Nav & AWD
Thudman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 11:01 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Ditto what Thudman said.
ernieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 08:44 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

I think you could do it at the breaker, but you would need to also handle the neutral.

It might be easier to install a double pole, double throw switch at the basement unit, breaking the path to the #2 compressor contactor.

It has been awhile since I reviewed the basement unit info, but I think that more than just the compressor is powered off the #2 breaker.

I usually don't have a problem on 30 amps unless the voltage is low. Your idea would be very useful in those cases.
Old 06-27-2010, 11:24 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I believe by using the #2 A/C breaker to disable the #2 compressor I did something to my 12 volt board on the gen control board. I would not recommend that method to anyone unless it can be approved by the A/C manufacturer. It could have been a coincedece but it seemd to be related.
inspectorudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 12:34 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Thanks everyone for your input, the rv park we go to every year has 244 spots and about 15 have 50 amp hook ups, very hard to get one. I have an adapter (cheater box) but the 20 amp plugs in the power box are GFI plugs which I was told would not work with the adapter. yes I can get both compressors to come on with the 30 amps available, but due to the high draw by all the other rv's I think the power is down and we, have to keep all the shades closed etc and still have a warm coach, think I am going to purchase a portable stand up a/c at home depot, run it off an extension cord to the power box and let it help maintain the inside temp??? Thanks again Craig

Ultra Power program by Brazels
hondo12 is offline   Reply With Quote