Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-04-2020, 10:50 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Adventurer ceiling replacement

I have several places in my Adventurer where the ceiling fabric is sagging. I have decided to replace the entire ceiling except for in the bathroom. I have gone in an removed all of the vinyl and foam from the luan underneath. My plans are to glue the new ceiling panels to the existing luan. There is no water damage or anything like that and the bond between the old luan and the styrofoam is good. I am looking for recommendations for what type of adhesive I should use to bond the luan pieces together with. Any help would be great.
Laserline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 12:01 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Laserline what year model is the Adventurer?
Americanrascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 01:11 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

2009 Adventurer 32 ft
Old 04-04-2020, 02:19 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Looking forward to responses so I can learn more!
Americanrascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 03:31 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Links to what others have done.
https://www.winnieowners.com/forums/...er-350406.html

http://www.winnieowners.com/forums/f...ag-350058.html

http://www.winnieowners.com/forums/f...ng-221184.html
al1florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 03:56 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Thank you for the information. I am a lot farther into the project than what the others have done. i have the old ceiling out all the way back to the bedroom. I just need to figure out what adhesive to use. I was thinking about a construction adhesive through a caulking gun. I am removing all the old foam off of the luan now. I am using a flapper wheel on an air tool to do it. So far it looks good. I have 10 panels ( 2 extra) on the way from Winnebago parts to go back up. I will keep you posted.
Old 04-04-2020, 07:34 PM   #7
2006 Itasca Meridian 39K

Could you please describe what the panels from Winnebago are like and what they cost? Thanks
Wingchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 10:54 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

I purchased the panels at winnebagoparts.com. They are foam and vinyl attached to 1/4 inch luan. I have not seen the panels yet so I will update when I receive them this week. We are really into the project now. I will post some pictures if I can figure out how to do it. We have taken down the cabinets and everything that is up against the ceiling. They should go up pretty easy now.
Old 04-14-2020, 08:01 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Thumbs up

Really looking forward on this project. I have the same issue and don’t know how to proceed or if it’s even worth it. Since I have slideouts it’s nothing I can do on my own.
Old 05-01-2020, 02:49 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

I have gotten the ceiling replaced all the back to the bedroom so far. It took 3 guys to help put the panels up, but it has not been that bad so far. We gutted the unit and removed all of the cabinets except for the ones over the bed where the slide out is. Those were not in the way. I just ripped the old vinyl down (very easy). I went in and sanded the old foam off of the existing wood. Then we applied glue to the old wood in the ceiling and also to the wood of the new panels going up. we braced them with jacks and 2 x 4's for at least 24 hours. So far it looks great and is going up awesome. If you have some time and some guys willing to help, it is not that bad of a job. It will take some time as one panel goes up at a time and then braced for at least 24 hours.
Old 05-01-2020, 03:12 PM   #11
2006 Itasca Meridian 39K

Congratulations on you're progress. If you don't mind, I have a couple of basic questions.

On the panels you got from Winnebago, they come with the vinyl attached to a thin piece of wood?
I assume you have to cut the ceiling openings, did you use the old vinyl as a template for that?
What size are the panels and what did they cost? Do they have several colors?
What adhesive did you end up using?

Thank you for all your advice, it does sound doable, I just need make three friends. Do you have any pictures of the project?
Wingchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 03:48 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

1. The panels came from winnebagoparts.com. They are 1/8 inch plywood with foam and vinyl glued to them. They a 4 ft by 82 inches I think. My rv is 8 feet and 1/2 inch wide, so I had to trim them down slightly.

2. I went to Menards and bought 1/4 inch light plywood and measured the cutouts and used those as templates. We held them up to the ceiling and when we were happy we placed those on top of the new panels and made the cuts.

3. The panels were somewhere around 140.00 each. They have multiple colors I think. I went with Ivory.

4. I used Locktite PL 3X PREMIUM. I did some research and this seemed like a good product to use. I also bought some trim pieces from Menards to run along the sides of the ceiling where there was no trim. I am having a machine shop make me some aluminum rings that I will be gluing to the top of the old ceiling inside the air duct. I will then run self taping screws through the vent covers and compressing all of the wood and vinyl together. I have a bunch of pictures on my phone. If I can figure out how to get them here I will post them. Everything seems very tight and secure.
Old 05-02-2020, 10:36 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Ceiling replacement

Looks as though you have it under control, a lot of forward planning. Wish I was capable but at eighty years I don’t have the energy or ability. To complicate it more the passenger front slide will need to be removed. Ugh!
Best of success.
Old 05-02-2020, 11:09 AM   #14
Winnebago Camper

why does that need to be removed?
Old 05-02-2020, 01:11 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Ceiling replacement

That slide doesn’t expose the entire interior ceiling and is roughly 15 ft. long.

Tags
ace, adventurer, ceiling, replace, replacement, vent