Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-03-2015, 09:03 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Adventurer 38Q leveling

The leveling system works great on level ground. The problem I have is if I am parked on even the slightest slope, get a message "unable to level". I think maybe it is because the chassis sits so high, the jacks reach their stroke limit. Unfortunately. Thank goodness a kept my leveling pad set. I put a pad or two under te jacks and it levels out.
Dfreiberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 09:33 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Can't you level manually without the need for pads?
HUGHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 10:50 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUGHP View Post
Can't you level manually without the need for pads?
I don't think manual leveling is the solution if the jacks have reached their extension limit in auto mode.
Algonquin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 02:22 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Dfreiberger, I find if the site has a bit of slope the jacks tend to over extend a little when leveling. So I use the manual mode and raise the low side to level then lower the other side just enough to give some support.
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 05:41 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

After I Hit the post button, I remembered that I had the left forward jack replaced for leaking. I also noticed sometimes it does not seat, even when showing level. My first thought is they did not bleed the air air fully. I asked the dealer and they told me it self bleeds back through the the reservoir. Not sure I believe that. I think there is air in the lines for that jack.
Old 07-04-2015, 07:40 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

We have the same issue on our 2014 Vista 35F - and also found if we put down our leveling pads we can usually level - of course, we have encountered some
very un-level camp sites where we had to move around a few times or even transfer to another site - aggravating but necessary. Happy Trails to you.....
Old 07-04-2015, 02:56 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

On my 15 35F I use the auto level feature. It'll ground the jacks first, then level the low end, then the high side, then side to side. It will level but will extend almost fully in front, rising the front wheels off the ground, especially if I use my 2x10 boards as pads. Directions say not to raise tires off the ground as unsafe. I'm ready to start leveling it manually to control the wheels not raising above the ground.
Old 07-06-2015, 06:12 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

It is kind of strange. I went camping at Hershey Park earlier this year and what appeared to be a level spot, when I finished leveling, the rear tires on one side were off the ground.. I repositioned and was able to level with all tires on the ground. This past weekend, I was again on a relatively even spot,but while leveling, I got the unable to level message and the leveling aborted. I retracted the jacks and leveled again. I refused to level until I put jack pads down on the ground. All tires stayed on the ground. I guess I could understand the system aborting if I was raising tires off the ground for safety reasons. Not the case here. I suppose I could manually level but defeats the purpose of AUTO LEVELING
Old 07-09-2015, 08:38 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

I'm betting your leveling system needs to be recalibrated. As long as it's under warranty you can take it to a dealer and have it done. If you don't want to take the time to go to a dealer you can recalibrate it yourself. It's a simple procedure and covered in detail in the owners manual.

We had the same problem with our 2013 Adventurer. Whenever it was the slightest bit out of level the jacks would lift the front wheels off the ground and display the message. A quick calibration and everything is fine.

If you don't want to do it yourself just now you can also use the manual leveling feature. When you use it the display shows how far you are out of level front to back and side to side. The display reads in 1/10 of a degree increments and will read up to 3.0 degrees out of level in either plain.

Initially when the jacks are "grounding" they attempt to place a minimum of 300 lbs. of pressure on the ground. If the ground is soft the jack pads may sink in before the minimum pressure level is reached. If this happens the system will abort the leveling process. We always put down 12' square pads before leveling on any unpaved surface. The larger foot print spreads the weight over a larger area and minimized the amount you'll sink into the ground.

Last year when we went to GNR the ground was so soft we were advised to bring along pads for the jacks that had at least twice the surface area as the foot of the jacks. I made a set of 24" square 1-1/2" thick pads from treated plywood. They worked well in that we never had a problem leveling or sinking in. However they're so large we rarely use them unless we know we'll be on soft ground.

The 12" ones always stay in the motorhome, and get exchanged for the larger ones if necessary.

Tags
leveling, vent