Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-22-2008, 06:17 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

We have a 38J Adventurer on W-24 chassis and have a real problem steering and staying in the lane. It's been weighed, aligned, and that's all good. Adding after market things are costly and we're not sure what would work to correct the problem. Anyone out there have this coach and any problems? We had an Adventurer '04 38G and never added anything and never had handling problems. We have Workhorse and Winnebago talking to us and not sure what to do. We feel it's not safe!
jm828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 06:17 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

We have a 38J Adventurer on W-24 chassis and have a real problem steering and staying in the lane. It's been weighed, aligned, and that's all good. Adding after market things are costly and we're not sure what would work to correct the problem. Anyone out there have this coach and any problems? We had an Adventurer '04 38G and never added anything and never had handling problems. We have Workhorse and Winnebago talking to us and not sure what to do. We feel it's not safe!
Old 05-23-2008, 01:49 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

We have a 2007 Itasca Suncruiser 38J (which is essentially the same motorhome as yours) on the Workhorse 24,000 pound chassis. It drives just fine. I don't generally do it but I can drive it with one hand on the steering wheel. I'm not able to give you any real advice about solving your problem but I would check tire pressure and weigh each wheel location. I wonder if you are heavy on one corner compared to the other wheels. Or maybe you have a bad or missing bushing in the steering linkage. Good luck with your problem! I'm sure that there is a solution and you can get your rig to handle better. The long wheelbase on these things make them handle pretty well without going to a lot of aftermarket solutions.
Doug
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Doug Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 01:51 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

More info please. How is it hard to steer?
Any vibration in the steering wheel? What does it actually do?

This info can help us help you. Good Miles
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 02:04 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

We have a 38J and the first and only chassis upgrade so far is a rear trac bar. I too can drive ours with one hand on the wheel.
Outbumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 02:51 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

The wind, and passing trucks, push us all over the road. The steering feels really "loose". We had an 04 Adventurer which drove great. Our weights are 7220 front, 15300 rear, don't have corner weights yet. Running 85 lbs front, 95 lbs rear. If I go to 105 (per door tag) the steering gets much worse. No vibration, no porpoising, just wandering. Very difficult to keep in my lane. What kind/brand rear track bar did you get? Thanks for the help.
Old 05-23-2008, 03:40 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
A rear trac bar would probably take care of the problem. Visit my website for more info.

Old 05-23-2008, 03:44 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Steer safe .,Safe T Plus are two steering helps for the wandering. Call Brazels or Henderson they have a Trac Bars for the front and rear.

I would use the rear Bar first, everyone says its a big help for the sway and push.

Being hard to find "center" on the steering wheel is a problem with Winnie's IMHO, I had a 03 Diesel that was the same way...One of the front steering aids will surely help this.

Good Luck
Old 05-23-2008, 03:55 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jm828:
The wind, and passing trucks, push us all over the road. The steering feels really "loose". We had an 04 Adventurer which drove great. Our weights are 7220 front, 15300 rear, don't have corner weights yet. Running 85 lbs front, 95 lbs rear. If I go to 105 (per door tag) the steering gets much worse. No vibration, no porpoising, just wandering. Very difficult to keep in my lane. What kind/brand rear track bar did you get? Thanks for the help. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have a 38R and my front axle weight is the same as yours. My 38R handles great with no mods.

Before doing any mods I suggest having your front end alignment checked. RV dealers usually can't do this. I suggest an alignment shop that does school buses. Have the alignment shop call Workhorse for the W24 specs.

-Tom
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 06:53 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

I had basically the same problem. Had the Steer-Safe installed and now it's a one-hand deal. No problem with wind or 18 wheelers.
Old 05-23-2008, 08:53 AM   #11
Winnebago Watcher

We also have a 38J Suncruiser W24, but a 2006. It too was nearly undrivable. We weighed it and adjusted the tire pressures very close to what yours are and that seemed to help somewhat. Then I installed a Super Steer rear trac bar which helped a little. Next I added a Steer Safe steering stabilizer which did not help at all. Last, I had the coach realigned at Winnebago while I was having other work done. Workhorse had them add an additional 3 degree shim to the caster and now the coach finally handles acceptably.

Last weekend we were camping next to Voyage on a W20 and he said he had the same problem.
john lipecki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 10:38 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

John is absolutely correct. Workhorse does recommend the additional 3 degrees of caster even tho it does not mention it in the chassis guide. It may pay to have your chassis realigned.
If you do not have the large chassis guide it is downloadabel or your can pruchase it. Very worth while.
Old 05-23-2008, 11:35 AM   #13
iRV2 Marketing

Please consider having the front end alignment checked again. A "Caster" setting of 5? has made a world of difference is how the W24 handles. This was proven out to me as far back as early 2006 with a member's coach which was purchased from Lazy Days. That owner has a 38J on a W24 and the caster change improved the directional control to the point where previously he was white knuckling it to the point now where the coach is a pleasure to drive.

Now that's 3 posts for check the caster angle.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 03:29 AM   #14
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DriVer:
...the caster change improved the directional control to the point where previously he was white knuckling it to the point now where the coach is a pleasure to drive.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Amen, Brother!!
Ding-a-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 02:01 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

We have the caster set at 5 now and still it's all over the road. Workhorse & Winnebago are sending a part to replace something in the steering wheel to gear box so will see if that helps. THANKS for all the replies - we will keep at this until it tracks right!