Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-15-2022, 01:10 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Adventurer 30T cable help

I have a 2019 Adventurer 30T. I was told by the dealer and various sources since then, that under the decal at the front center of my RV, Winnebago has placed the coaxial cables for a satellite dish. I simply had to cut an opening in the roof material and fish out the cables. I cut a small opening that allowed me to see and feel for the cables. Not there. Called Winnebago, they sent some drawing that were of little help. When I called again, I was told they really couldn't offer any additional guidance than to have a RV shop help me locate the cable.
Before I go to that expense, I thought perhaps someone here has some experience with this and can help. I would very much like to get it done myself and not rely on a shop that might take a couple months and untold cost to acquire something that Winnebago said they had done.
Thank you.
Del
Dray1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2022, 02:11 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Telephone technicians use a device called a toner that helps locate cables or wires. Simply attach the tone generator to the exposed end of the cable and use the detector wand to follow or locate the cable. Fairly inexpensive from Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/Finder-Genera...39828688&psc=1
Mtn Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2022, 03:17 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Thank you Charlie. This may be the way I need to go. Only a little over $16 at amazon.
Old 07-15-2022, 03:24 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dray1953 View Post
Thank you Charlie. This may be the way I need to go. Only a little over $16 at amazon.
It may not help, but for $17 I'd give it a shot. It all depends on how deep the cable is buried and the power output/sensitivity of the device. There are more expensive units on Amazon also.
Mtn Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2022, 03:52 PM   #5
Site Team

Did you see the decal on the roof where the cables are supposed to be? There is a round sticker with a crosshair on it. It's in the middle of the roof from side to side and an inch or three behind the seam where the front cap is attached to the roof.

Here's a photo - not mine - and I have a sticker like this but not so many words. Just the crosshair and a "Drill Here" label.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	roof decal.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	183537  
Old 07-15-2022, 03:59 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

creativepart Thanks anyway. if you reread my request, I said I drilled at the decal indicated on roof.
Old 07-15-2022, 04:02 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
creativepart Thanks anyway. if you reread my request, I said I drilled at the decal indicated on roof.
D'oh! Sorry, I read that you drilled and skipped right over the "at the decal".

I've seen others here mention they really had to fish around in there to find the wires. As in; they were there but almost impossible to find.
Old 07-15-2022, 04:07 PM   #8
CO Sunova Owner

Satellite cables

Quote:
I have a 2019 Adventurer 30T. I was told by the dealer and various sources since then, that under the decal at the front center of my RV, Winnebago has placed the coaxial cables for a satellite dish. I simply had to cut an opening in the roof material and fish out the cables. I cut a small opening that allowed me to see and feel for the cables. Not there. Called Winnebago, they sent some drawing that were of little help. When I called again, I was told they really couldn't offer any additional guidance than to have a RV shop help me locate the cable.
Before I go to that expense, I thought perhaps someone here has some experience with this and can help. I would very much like to get it done myself and not rely on a shop that might take a couple months and untold cost to acquire something that Winnebago said they had done.
Thank you.
Del

Try probing around your new roof hole with a bent coat hanger. I drilled on the mark and two coax cables were there, one for the front sat receiver connection and one for the rear sat receiver connection. I did my full installation. I have a 2017 Winnebago Sunova and the wires were there where they said they would be. I just pulled them out with my fingers.
navnaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2022, 04:24 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Thanks navnaz. That gives me some inspiration that I might find them. I may still get the tester previously suggested. That sounds like a handy tool to have.
Old 07-25-2022, 12:36 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Would be nice to know what your final results are. A fishing expedition.
Sullivanclan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 10:15 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sullivanclan View Post
Would be nice to know what your final results are. A fishing expedition.
Thanks to all who helped. I did get a cable locator. It was some help but not as good as I thought. But for $17, I guess I can't complain. It did give me the confidence to expand the hole and fish around a bit. I found both cables and also a white wire and yellow wire, that ended at this location also. Called Winnebago and they confirmed that the other wires supplied 12 volt should someone need power to their dish. Mine gets power through the cables. I marked what they were and coiled back in the hole.
So I ended up finding what I needed and got my dish hooked up. I don't get a signal where I'm parked but I do have power to the satellite, so the wires seems good.
Thanks again.
Old 08-12-2022, 10:22 AM   #12
Site Team

Nothing is 100% certain in a motorhome. But "usually" with Winnebago 12v wiring white wire is ground and yellow wire is hot. There are markings on the sides of the wire and if you look at the wiring diagrams you can find references to those exact numbers through the diagram and often see what they are for and where the go.
Old 08-12-2022, 12:24 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

There are also a couple other items which are very handy when we find a wire that we want to know more about.

One first thing to know about Winnebago is that they stamp the ID on the wires as in this example:

Click image for larger version

Name:	f wire id.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	23.4 KB
ID:	183792

Then when you have the ID from the wire and want to know more, check on this list as it gives the "from" and "to" of the wire:

https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...ical_guide.pdf

Another handy use of this list is to try to find more info on some item, even if you have no idea where that item might be??

If you open the list, hit ctrl and F at the same time, it brings a dropdown where you can input something you want to know more about.
For instance if you want to know more about satallite wiring, try inputting something like "sat" (or spell it all out!) and it spits out all the places where your term is found in the list and gives you arrows to scroll through those places.

It is not a sure cure for all ills but it does often give a bit more info for the puzzle!
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 10:55 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the info.

Tags
adventurer, vent