Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-12-2013, 06:35 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Adventure Hood Hinge

I have a 2012 Winnebago Adventure, this afternoon when I raised the hood the hood hinges broke loose from the body and one side is breaking lose from the top. Has anyone had this problem?
USATraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 01:45 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by USATraveler View Post
I have a 2012 Winnebago Adventure, this afternoon when I raised the hood the hood hinges broke loose from the body and one side is breaking lose from the top. Has anyone had this problem?
:welcome:

i and many others have had body parts come loose. use the search function at the top of this screen to read about this and other fixes. the hood hinges are still ok on my unit.
i have used jb weld successfully on my right front fender. i cleaned up the area and drilled grip holes before applying jb weld.
wally world has jb weld.

are you still under warranty?

Epoxy Adhesives Archives » JB Weld
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 11:28 AM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

No I wish I was still under warranty, and extended warranty doesn't cover this. But thanks for the come back.
USATraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 10:49 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Try reading through this thread for some good ideas to fix your hood separation issue.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f101/fron...on-185789.html

Sammie
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 12:04 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

We have a Sightseer that had the same issue. There were many fixes posted from re-gluing to bolting to a combination. The Sightseer had mounting bolts protruding already for the body attachment to the frame so I got some 1/4" Stainless bolts/flat washers and drilled through to reattach rather that use some specialty adhesive to repair. It didn't hold before so figured it would probably come off again. Did both sides even though only one was broken. So far so good-worked like a charm. Had to readjust the hood but now is easier to open.
jazzerjump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 07:49 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

On my sightseer one side came loose so I bought epoxy and glued it back. I left clamps on overnight. About two years later the other side came unglued so I did the same fix again. The epoxy fix has held.

If the epoxy comes loose I plan on using fiber glass and epoxy to trap the aluminum frame with a patch.

My hood was not aligned with the body after some major work on the engine. The shop was about 350 miles from my home so I didn't want to take it back to them. I talked to a local shop and they wouldn't give me an estimate to align my hood so I spent an afternoon and I figured out how to align my 2005 Sightseer Hood. If you have a similar problem I can post how I fixed my hood.

Safe travels. JD
Yellowboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 11:38 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

On earlier units, Winnebago was glueing painted surfaces to body panels. The glue didn't stick to the paint. On mine, I ground off the paint and re-glued it. Been holding for years now.

I don't know if this applies to newer units. I would have thought that Winnebago learned something or maybe they forgot.
Old 12-17-2013, 08:55 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Very same crappy Scotchweld construct as with my '99!! And a full decade later, nothing has changed; and a decade later Winnebago still obviously doesn't give a damn!!

Tags
vent