Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-19-2006, 04:20 PM   #1

The slide in the bedroom is coming out crooked, leaving awning slag and seal isn't sealed. Does anyone know if there is an adjustment that can be made.
jest4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 04:20 PM   #2

The slide in the bedroom is coming out crooked, leaving awning slag and seal isn't sealed. Does anyone know if there is an adjustment that can be made.
jest4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 06:02 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

I'm sure there is!!! Personally, I would leave it to a dealer. If you are brash enough to take it on yourself, I would start with a call to CoachNet (if you subscribe to their ERS), or to Winnebago Owner Relations at 800-537-1885.
Old 08-19-2006, 07:03 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

CoachNet might be able to help but Winnebago sure won't. I called them last year about some instructions for adjusting the living room slide and was told that was something they didn't give out to consumers. I then called HWH since its their mechanism and was told Winnebago didn't allow them to give out any instructions on their slides. And two different dealers (including my selling dealer) told me they didn't do that kind of work. Therefore all I was faced with was a 1500 mile round trip to Forest City, and then they didn't do much adjusting either. Now I have to go back again. I don't know why they are so set against the coach owner knowing anything about the operation of their coach, especially since its so hard to find a dealer who will work on a coach they didn't sell let alone able to do anything right the first time. Lots of luck.
Wagonmaster2
2004 Meridian 36G
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 07:31 PM   #5

What a second. Are you saying that Winnebago Dealers Service Departments don't know how to adjust the slides or don't want to????
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 04:32 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

I am going to say it again. The aruguments here are ample support for the RV Manf to establish regional or zone service centers. Supported in part, by a fee paid by sales outlets,(dealers). There are some good dealers, but far and away most are not qualified or set up to do solid service to rigs. Next to your home, may be your greatest investment. No more problems with where you bought it. I think Chassis repair shops would locate close to these Manfacturer's centers making a win win for everyone.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 05:16 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

I suspect Winnebago's reluctance to give specific instructions for slide adjustment have a lot to do with risk management/liability. Someone could get injured if not careful. Also, if they told you how to do it, and you did it wrong and caused more damage, a lot of folks would then blame the manufacturer.

I agree with Homer that a manufacturer as big as Winne ought to consider regional repair centers. I hear a lot of folks talk lovingly about 'trips to the factory' (Forest City, Red Bay, etc.). Suspect they are mostly retired and have the time for such trips. My primary reason for not considering a new coach is the first year bugs that everyone seems to have, some requiring a trip to the factory to resolve. My vacation time is too valuable to spend it traveling long distances for repairs.

Wonder why Winne (like County Coach) could not cut a deal with Cummins Coach Care Centers for such work?
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 09:05 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Similar story here.

Dealer has tried to align our living room slide three times. Ripped up the carpet last fall. HWH told me they don't tell anyone how to adjust it, and that it's up to Winnebago.

As for us owners doing more damage with instructions on how to adjust it, how much damage will I do WITHOUT instructions?

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 10:20 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Are you saying that Winnebago Dealers Service Departments don't know how to adjust the slides or don't want to???? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Our slides have been adjusted by at least two dealers that I recall. The second one was supposedly also trained and qualified to totally remove the slide if reqired. ...no complaints about the adjustments of either dealer!
Old 08-20-2006, 10:38 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

When we bought our 01 Adventurer I also bought all the technical manuals. I have a service manual on every component on the coach body and chassis, including one for adjusting and/or removing the slide.

The dealer (Van Boxtel RV out of Green Bay WI) was more than happy to order them for me and they weren't all that expensive.
Old 08-20-2006, 02:34 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Hikerdogs,

I know its been a while, but a rough guess on what they cost you? The first thing I use to do when I purchased a new car was to order the shop manuals. However, I stop ten years ago when the cost was around a $100 a set. Now, I make do with Chiltons, but they don't cover much at all.

2004 CR-V EX
Geechee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 04:18 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

Geeche: I bought 10 manuals form the dealer in addition to those included by Winnebago. They include wiring, plumbing, (both of which are now available online at www.winnebagoind.com for no charge),water heater, AC/heat pump, electric step, sealants, slides, floor repair, and an adjustment manual, for $126.00. I don't know what manuals are included when you buy a new coach today, but I must have a total of over 30 service manuals which makes a stack over 18" high

I fugured at $95.00/hr labor it cost me less than 1 1/2hrs of labor for all the manuals. I also got the 2001 F53 manual in CD format on ebay for $15.00. The dealer suggested I buy it there rather than pay $187.00 for the same manual from Helm Inc.

The Ford manual is very detailed and covers all aspects of the chassis, including R&R of all components & rebuilding of all servicable units.