Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-25-2023, 06:40 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Adding circuits to inverter

We have a 2007 Voyage 35L. We haven’t boondocked often, plan to do more. The inverter provides power to the front TV and a socket. That and the 12 volt system works well. Our problem is that the couch has to
have 120 to extend. How difficult is it to add a circuit to those powered by the inverter? Being able to extend the couch without running the generator would be great. Thanks for you advice.
Ibubigdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2023, 07:38 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Usually not hard at all but with things to check first?

One is to locate the nearest outlet or wiring that works off the inverter for ease of running wire from there to where you need it.
Second point to check is that the inverter is large enough to power the couch, etc. of anything that will be used at the same time.

If you have 600 Watt inverter, that will be the total limit of all those things you will want to use at the same time. No problem if using a 600 watt inverter to power something like 200 watts and another item like 500 watts IF they are not used at the same time! No good for a 1200 watt coffee pot!
This limit is a factor ONLY when using the inserter power, not when plugged into normal shore power as it just passes through the inverter.

Basic idea is simple enough if you can get from point A to point B with wiring!
Inverter will have AC wiring going in as well as AC wiring coming out to anything currently on the inverter. So to add or extend to the couch, find a point to tie more AC wiring onto what is on the output side. Maybe you currently have an AC outlet that works off the inverter close by? Just tie the new wire onto that outlet and go to a new outlet!
But maybe the inverter is closer, so add the new wires at the outlet of the inverter!
Thinking of it as water hoses, either add a second hose to the existing hose to get further away OR add a second hose where the first attaches to get water to two different points!

I did a check of the wiring for your RV and it looks like you most likely have a 600 watt inverter? That is not too much to go for many items at one time, so look closer before deciicng. It also means it drains the battery quicker if using more things, right?
Not a killer point but something to be awre of before jumping in!

These are the drawings for your unit 110AC wiring:
https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...ire_158523.pdf

From that drawing I think you will have these outlets on the inverter? Check if I am on the correct sheet as I'm doing a bit of guessing as it "looks" the same.

So if you can locate any spot along this run of wiring like one of the outlets, it is not technially hard to tie on but likely more difficult to get the wire where you want it?

One point I might mention if I were doing it, is that many RV outlets are pretty weak and made to be quick installs, not the best for lasting and if they don't use screws to hold the wires, I favor changing to a more solid standard 15-20 amp outlet from the big box stores as far better lasting. A dollar invested to avoid the weak little spring connection going bad!!

Click this snip to get a better view but for actual location, you may have to do some searching for oults hiding under and behind things. Any of the blue marked items or the wires between will do what you want, just match color to color in most cases.

Click image for larger version

Name:	inverter.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	185249
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2023, 08:43 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Er, I've never heard of an RV that HAD to have AC power to power the slides. That suggests it has 120 Vac motors that run the slide in and out. All the slide systems I've been reading about over the last 19 years of full timing and perusing the big 3 RV forums have run on battery.

The slide manufacturer often suggest running the generator or plugging into shore power, as a suggestion. IF your batteries are older, and could be low, then that's good advice. But it doesn't mean you need to have 120 Vac to operate the slides. If your batteries are healthy, they should work fine extending or retracting the slides on their own.

Does your slide refuse to move unless you have AC? I'm curious as I've never heard of a 120 Vac slide system in an RV. I don't get out much though.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2023, 10:15 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

I think the big point is not the slide but the couch which I assume is a recliner which has a small motor to recline?
But this communications stuff is much harder than expected!

Rest easy sofa is what I was thinking???
Old 02-26-2023, 10:33 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

OH, couch...I only have one working eye and I read that as coach. Doh. Nevermind.

I had an electrically operated couch too, recently sold it to make room for a nice recliner/rocker/swivel chair. But it was 12 Vdc. When I sold it, I provided a battery eliminator to operate it.

Reason so many items in an RV are 12 volt primary and 120 volt secondary is because lots of people occasionally like to Boondock so having a 120 volt couch bed for guests would be problematic if say, the OP didn't opt for the optional genset. Or if it wasn't working.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2023, 10:37 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

On the other hand? Is there a need for inverter 110AC or is it a 12 volt sofa?

Name:	sofa.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	185252

I'm getting more questions than answers to this one!
Old 02-26-2023, 01:27 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Lots to look at tomorrow. The video of the couch is the exact one. I’ll have to examine the 12 volt breakers. I always turn off the house batteries. I’ll check it out. Just assumed it was 120.
Ibubigdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2023, 02:38 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Okay did some bug hunting! Found a couple good points that might say you just need to leave one or two breakers on as it seems to work on 12Volt!!
Sometimes we shoot ourself and don't even know it??

Wiring ID for labels on the side of Winnebago wires:
https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...ical_guide.pdf
Maybe try this shot?

Click these snips to see better!

Name:	sofa.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	185258

That feeds this wiring with the ID showing this is where those wires go and what they do?

Name:	sofa 1.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	185259

Name:	sofa2.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	185257

I'm thinking you are home free without adding to the wiring??

Tags
inverter