Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-17-2021, 03:50 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Adding a roof A/C to a 40' fd Horizon

I would like to hear from anyone that has put additional A/C unit on a 40' coach...Roof unit?
We have a 2008 Itasca Horizon 40fd and don't think the basement A/C can keep us comfortable when the temp goes over the century mark.
buford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 04:04 PM   #2

I just posted this thread about adding a portable AC to my 2004 Itasca Horizon 40AD, so it will be interesting to see which approach people decide to go with?

In both cases I would like to know more about the Onan 7500/8000 handling 30-35A loads.

In addition, Automatic Transfer Switches (ATS) may indicate 50A, but this more "marketing" than fact. They do this so they can signal to owners that that they can buy this 50A-ATS to use with their 50A service. However, 90% of all these 50A ATS boxes rally can't handle heavy loads for long periods of time, and since 2018 I would say, most of the relays inside these 50A-ATS boxes are using cheaper relays than they did with Parallax was selling their ATS-5070.

This is ATS issue is especially concerning for use Onan 7500/8000 owners who need a 70A neutral capability. (Which is another way of saying they need to support two 35A neutral return wires out of the generator.)

On top of that ATS ratings don't talk about "inductive" vs. "resistive" loads and what margin of safety they have.

Here's the link to the GE 8000-BTU Portable AC I just installed. And I think as this thread develops it will be good to see a comparison between the two installation choices when it comes to adding a supplemental AC on the roof vs. going with a portable unit.

This is of course assuming you already have a Colman-Mach (2-ton) Basement AC?

https://www.winnieowners.com/forums/...ml#post3893198
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GE 6100-BTU DOE (8000-BTU ASHRAE)  At Lowes $349.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	178.1 KB
ID:	178395  
imnprsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 04:12 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

I remember reading a thread a while back (couldn't locate it) where someone was interested in replacing the center hallway roof vent with an A/C unit in a large Winnie DP (Tour/Vectra/Horizon.) Most of the discussion revolved around how to fish the power up to the unit. Not sure if the OP ever did the conversion or not. You might want to search this forum and iRV2 forums.
emiddleb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof