Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-05-2019, 06:05 PM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Added front side turn signals to our Sunstar, and a Ford signal control oddity

Our Suncruiser had round turn signals sticking out on the sides of the front corners so cars riding along the side could see our intention to change lanes. The Sunstar doesn't, and I found myself missing them.

While these aren't exactly what I wanted, I found them on Amazon and thought I would give them a try.

Note that there are 3 wires. White is ground or -. Black is dim. Red is bright. I used white and red.

Here is one installed on the Sunstar.

I would have preferred something more rear-facing, but we'll see how these do.

Here's the weird thing. I spliced them into the corner "parking"/turn signal lights. The wires aren't color coded, so I turned on the headlights and checked polarity on the sockets, After I got it wired, the lights worked as parking lights, but not as turn signals or 4 ways.

WTF? Apparently, Ford switches polarity on those sockets depending on whether the light is a parking lamp or a turn signal. Reversing the wires made the work as a turn signal/4way.
SLOweather is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ford