Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-11-2022, 10:21 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Add Bunk Over Cab

This may be a silly question, but is it possible to add a bunk over the cab after market? We are considering purchasing a 2005 Meredian (diesel pusher). It is set up as a couples coach, but we are a family of 4 with 2 small children. We are trying to avoid having to make beds for the kiddos each night by way of dinnette or couch.

We found a great rig at a great price. Major downside is it doesn’t have a bunk over the cab. I was curious if those could be added after market? I can’t seem to find much info. Thanks in advance for any help you guys can provide!
PrincessDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 06:08 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Quick answer is, anything is possible! In reality most likely not. I have an 07 Meridian could not see how it could be done. On mine the slide comes in right behind the driver seat, The front door is almost ceiling height and right infront of passenger seat. I just do not see it happening.

I believe you would be further ahead looking for a MH with bunks for the kids. They are around and would be easier for you I think.

Good Luck
be happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 09:55 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

We have the same problem taking our granddaughters out. If you go to Do It Yourself RV (DIYRV) there are some ideas. Great site to browse through!

We took one of their ideas and used PVC to make a cot with no legs. We turn the two seats facing each other and their seats support the cot. Works fine. I've slept on it myself (don't ask). Two problems: the girls fight over who gets it, and we are concerned about it blocking the only exit door. When not in use, it slips behind the EZRest sofa.

We are in the process of re-designing the concept to have two cross bars at each end, rather than one, forming a "mount" allowing the cot to lock onto the chair headrests (And raising the cot about 24 - 30 inches). Not perfect, but hopefully, we can duck under it to exit. We'll beta test this mod in a couple of weeks.

Fair Winds and Following Seas
Oldchinahand is offline   Reply With Quote