Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-23-2020, 08:37 AM   #21
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimStreit View Post
That's a fair question ... There are three other lights in the room so we are going to try without the ceiling light for a little while. If we find that we really miss having the light I'll tie it into the same wiring as the fan and have to put a switch on the light itself. Not optimal but it would be way to complicated to get another 12volt run to that location without the wires being outside of the roof/ceiling. I'll let you know how it goes.
I'm with you on not liking the surface wiring and we did have some questions about how we set it to use a switch on the light if we needed it over the bed as that light is hard to reach without crawling on the bed.
But we had decided that there are so many different ways to go about lights that we thought changing out the existing fixtures might be a way to go if we wanted more light. Lots of options to think over before punching that first hole in the roof!
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 08:41 AM   #22
Winnebago Owner

We wanted it more for the ventilation than the light.
JimStreit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 10:41 AM   #23
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimStreit View Post
We wanted it more for the ventilation than the light.
My trailer has too much light! Which reminds me, I bought some new lights with lower settings and didn't install them due to the hazardous air conditions. The air has cleared up so I should get on it before our next trip!
Old 09-23-2020, 10:48 AM   #24
CZBB RV6A 2008 29R Sight

Good thinking.

You are right about needing the ventilation. That room gets pretty warm. Well I guess the gauntlets down. I’ll have to bit the bullet and do this next summer.

Well done
Old 10-09-2020, 10:03 AM   #25
Winnebago Owner

@7997redtail Good luck! Making the first cut is the hardest.
Old 10-09-2020, 12:12 PM   #26
CZBB RV6A 2008 29R Sight

Isn’t that a song?

Not looking forward to it but I have what it takes
Old 11-11-2020, 11:28 AM   #27
Winnebago Owner

@7997redtail keep us updated. I would love to see how it goes for you.
Old 11-11-2020, 12:27 PM   #28
CZBB RV6A 2008 29R Sight

Will do.

RVs tucked away for winter now. We are in Surrey (Vancouver) bc so it’s just starting to get cold with regular days of rain. I won’t be looking into this for a feeewww months yet
Old 11-23-2020, 03:06 PM   #29
Winnebago Camper

I added a roof vent in our 2009 Winnebago Journey. I contact Winnebago and received a structural drawing but was told they could not tell me if it would be safe to avoid any other systems. One summer evening I was doing something on the roof and noticed dew was settling on the roof. The dew collected on the underlying steel structure. I took a lead pencil and could clearly mark where the steel structure was. I then marked and measured from inside where I wanted the vent. I was able to take those measurements and transfer them to the roof top. I then decide to mine down through the roof so I could stop if I found anything such as wires or AC venting. I cut a square out of the fiberglass roof and gently mined down the insulation foam. If I thought I was in a bad location I could easily repair the fiberglass roof and there would be no cuts in the bedroom ceiling. After removing chunks out of the insulation I finally reach the top of the bedroom ceiling. I then knew I could cut the ceiling without a regret if I had cut the whole way from fiberglass roof the bedroom ceiling. For electrical power I was able to run an exterior wire from the nearby bathroom ceiling fan across the top of the roof into the new bedroom fan. We LOVE the new fresh air in the bedroom with the remote controlled MAXXAIR fan.
skitime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 03:29 PM   #30
CZBB RV6A 2008 29R Sight

Fricken awesome

Just sitting here at a local brewery having a beer on my 60 BD and had a good laugh at this reply.

First I was smiling at the dew idea then the idea about chipping at the foam and not ruining the interior ceiling but had to laugh when you said where you got power from. Ingenious.

I was hoping to be close enough to the ceiling light to get power but then the switch would have to be on for the fan to work.

Thanks for taking the time to reply. Well done
Old 11-23-2020, 04:55 PM   #31

OP: Now that your have a vent and fan...

* Have you considered adding 2-4 new recessed LED light holes on either side of the fan box?

* I'm sure it would not be hard to run power and ground though the styrofoam to reach the recessed light holes if they are positioned ~1-foot from the fan box?

If you go this route, please post some more pictures for the rest of us to consider, and thanks for posting pictures of your fan/vent. It looks great!

Note: The wall switch only has 1 power wire, but I'm sure you can add a toggle power switch in the fan box... that when flipped to position 1 would only turn on the light; and in position 2 would turn on both the light and the fan from the wall switch.
imnprsd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof, vent