Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-23-2006, 08:18 AM   #1
Winnie-Wise

I own a used '98 32' Brave on a chev P-30 chassis. My problem is that the front end is riding about 2" lower than level. I have the air bags at 90# and hesitate to go any higher.

I read somewhere that there are replacement springs on the market that may solve my problem while increasing the load capacity of the fron end and possibly even removing the need for the air bags.

The unit has only 23,000 miles on it and the shocks look to be ok (no leakage, decent ride).

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

A second problem has to do with the heater/ac fan in the dash. It seems to be wholly inadequate. Even at the highest setting it barely moves any air thru the vents or defrosters - nothing like in my cars anyway. Is there an aftermarket solution?

Thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide.
Kazoo Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 08:18 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

I own a used '98 32' Brave on a chev P-30 chassis. My problem is that the front end is riding about 2" lower than level. I have the air bags at 90# and hesitate to go any higher.

I read somewhere that there are replacement springs on the market that may solve my problem while increasing the load capacity of the fron end and possibly even removing the need for the air bags.

The unit has only 23,000 miles on it and the shocks look to be ok (no leakage, decent ride).

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

A second problem has to do with the heater/ac fan in the dash. It seems to be wholly inadequate. Even at the highest setting it barely moves any air thru the vents or defrosters - nothing like in my cars anyway. Is there an aftermarket solution?

Thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide.
Old 02-23-2006, 10:49 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Tom,
I have a '96 P3 chassis and I had Hendersons install their springs a couple of years ago. The ride is more stable, doesn't bounce as much on dips, the front end is level now, and we don't have to mess with the air bags Check out www.hendersonslineup.com
By-the-way, if those shocks are original equipment (probably black in color) they are probably worn out already. Try a set of Bilsteins, you may be amazed at the difference.
Sorry I can't help with the AC issue, maybe a Winnie owner will have some ideas.
Loren
Old 02-23-2006, 10:57 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Had a '97 on P-30 and had same issue. Bags at 90 psi but still low in front. If I had kept the coach, I was planning to install the Super Coils on the front and trash the bags. My local RV guy was suggesting I replace the bags but from my research at that time, the Super Coils was a better solution.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 11:18 AM   #5
Administrator Emeritus

Tom,you might be interested to learn there's a Workhorse Chassis Owners Forum here on iRV2.

While there are indeed many "Winnebago" issues relating to your coach that are discussed here,you might find some "brand specific" posts over there.

Don't abandon us here though!!
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 02:37 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Thank you all for your responses. I will give a look to the henderson web site and also possible replacement of the shocks. I will also take a look at the Workhorse section, although I think this chassis is prior to the workhorse takeover.
Old 02-23-2006, 05:28 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Chevy chassis guide stated, lower bag air pressure, lift front end off the ground letting bags fully extend, put in proper pressure for axle rating, lower and check ride height. This is supposed to make a differnce, -- my 96 P30 was nose level at 70 PSI.
MikeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 06:21 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Hey, I'll have to give your suggestion a try Mike. If it works it is the cheapest solution I'm likely to find anywhere. Anyway nothing to loose on that one.
Old 02-24-2006, 07:17 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Regarding your dash fan question. I had the exact same coach as you now have. My fan hardly moved the air. I removed the fan from behind the kick panel, reversed the hot and neutral wires and the fan came to life. The fan motor is a DC motor and the motor runs in reverse when hot and neutral are reversed. Perhaps the same person wired mine and yours.

Savannah, GA
Don-Savannah, GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 08:50 AM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Thank you very much for your reply. I'll give that a try as soon as the weather here warms up a bit. It makes sense, and can't hurt. The way it is working now, it might as well not even be there.