Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-28-2014, 07:02 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

96" Winnebago Vectra Where are central AC charging ports?

1996 Winnebago Vectra Grand Tour Ford 460 puller.

Central "basement" or under chassis AC unit.

I think its low on refrigerant but I cannot find where the high/low side ports are to test or re-charge system. Nothing in the manual. I can see where the lines go into the unit. If there isn't any ports how does one charge or test the system? Any assistance here would be greatly appreciated.

Service Connected Disabled Marine Corps Veteran
OIF/OEF Veteran
Semper FI
broadsword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 09:27 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

You have to solder on charging ports.
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 09:27 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Unless a compressor has been replaced there are no service ports as far as I understand. On my 1995 Vectra they had to add the ports when they replaced the compressor in order to pump down and recharge the system.
Old 01-28-2014, 10:00 PM   #4
KIX
Winnebago Master

Broadsword, Google RV Comfort Systems. Look around the site and you can find a service manual for your Coleman-Mack basement unit. The posts above are correct and you will find no refrigerant ports on the system unless they were added aftermarket.
Old 01-29-2014, 06:37 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Also let me add that the unit must be removed from the coach to do any of this as it is a single contained unit.

Search for a thread by Duner as to how to remove the unit.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 06:53 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the replys. Yes you are correct, the unit does not have ports. I'm installing ports though. I just can't see buying a new unit or spending the money unbrazing lines. They make what is called "saddle ports" or bullet piercing valves. They tap right into existing lines with a piercing bolt. Google it. Thanks again guys.
Old 02-02-2014, 05:33 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadsword View Post
Thanks for the replys. Yes you are correct, the unit does not have ports. I'm installing ports though. I just can't see buying a new unit or spending the money unbrazing lines. They make what is called "saddle ports" or bullet piercing valves. They tap right into existing lines with a piercing bolt. Google it. Thanks again guys.
Have they improved them over the years? They use to be considered quite an iffy proposition in the past. They even came out with a swedge locked valve and tool to use instead of brazing as a better solution to the saddle valves but you did have to evacuate the system cut lines and had to have a special tool about the size of a medium sized bolt cutter to set them.
Old 02-03-2014, 07:54 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilV View Post
Have they improved them over the years? They use to be considered quite an iffy proposition in the past. They even came out with a swedge locked valve and tool to use instead of brazing as a better solution to the saddle valves but you did have to evacuate the system cut lines and had to have a special tool about the size of a medium sized bolt cutter to set them.
I'm not sure what they were like in the past. I know that they seem to work very well. So on the right side if you are looking at the ac unit... is an inspection cover. I removed all the screws I could without dropping the unit and prayed the cover open enough just to have a look see at the ac lines. I was going to gauge the size and order the saddle valve based off that. See pic for what the saddle valve looks like. Well to my delight there was one already installed! Everyone I spoke with at the RV world tech department, online, and word of mouth, told us there was no service ports and would require brazing lines back on and would be cheaper to just buy an entire unit for 700.00 plus labor. Well that's just foolish to me. So I am not sure if the valve was installed after or they simply do not know the facts or not being truthful about it being a sealed system. I still don't understand how one would charge a system without having a port somewhere. Anyway I will have to drop the unit down about a foot or so to get to the port which is facing straight up to the sky. Bottom line is if you can't install one yourself if it doesn't have it...I would advise having one installed by a local mechanic when and if your basement AC ever starts to fail or need servicing with freon. I will report back with final details tomorrow.
Old 02-03-2014, 09:24 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

broadsword, while you have it out replace the bearings on the fans with ball bearing units if it has not already been done.
Old 02-04-2014, 05:45 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by grtharris View Post
broadsword, while you have it out replace the bearings on the fans with ball bearing units if it has not already been done.
That's a GREAT idea! I did not get a chance to work on her today...late day at work. on another note I will be posting a new thread on re coloring my dash pad and leather seats. I am extremely impressed with the outcome so far. Keep a watch for it.
Old 02-04-2014, 06:02 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Granger sells the bearings if you need them. Hey its a small world, I'm recovering the dash on a 2006 Suncruiser. Got to 8 of the 10 bolts and had to drill the other two to remove the front dash pad. Covered the parts today and will install tomorrow. What color is your dash?
Jesse
Jbmsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 10:48 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

Great to hear they were already installed. On an 18 year old unit it is not too surprising. 8 years ago when I had my 95 Vectra I installed the service valves when the new compressor went in.
Old 02-05-2014, 07:08 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilV View Post
Great to hear they were already installed. On an 18 year old unit it is not too surprising. 8 years ago when I had my 95 Vectra I installed the service valves when the new compressor went in.
I was happy to see them installed. 1 other problem I cannot find anything in the AC manuals or the web on type of freon it takes. It's a 1996 RVP Coleman 6795 series basement AC unit. Nothing at all out there.
Old 02-06-2014, 03:37 AM   #14
Winnebago Master

Quote:
I was happy to see them installed. 1 other problem I cannot find anything in the AC manuals or the web on type of freon it takes. It's a 1996 RVP Coleman 6795 series basement AC unit. Nothing at all out there.
Then call or email AirXcel and ask them.
Old 02-06-2014, 09:12 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

So as I stated there was already saddle valves installed on my basement unit. Had the AC guy swing by and give it a charge. Blowing ice cubes...just in time for the weekend trip were leaving for tomorrow. Also installed a 16" high speed electric fan to help cool the condenser. Noticed in the Florida heat at stop lights it got a little warm. Checked the pressures and they were perfect, & everything else seemed fine. So I installed the fan and should take care of it. Also plan on towing with it always so it's good piece of mind for me to have it. Also had a check engine light come on last week. Pulled an EGR code. So I pulled a vacuum line off after the engine warmed and emptied a can of master blaster into the system. Shut it down for 15 minutes. In mean time pulled the air boots off and blasted the throttle body. Starts it up and blew smoke cloud a mile high. Loosened and burned that carbon build up. Check engine light shut off and she's purring like a kitten. Dumped 3 cans of sea foam in a full tank of fuel to help clear anything else out on this trip. Very happy with the results and confident the trip will be flawless. Thank u guys for the assistance!

Semper FI
Old 02-06-2014, 09:36 PM   #16
Winnebago Master

Great!!!!
Old 02-06-2014, 10:00 PM   #17
Winnebago Master

Quote:

That's a GREAT idea! I did not get a chance to work on her today...late day at work. on another note I will be posting a new thread on re coloring my dash pad and leather seats. I am extremely impressed with the outcome so far. Keep a watch for it.
broadsword
how is your dash pad coming?
Jesse
Jbmsr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charging, winnebago