Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-01-2012, 11:44 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

96 Adventurer Levelers

I have a 96 Adventurer and the levelers go down very slowley. I've been told that this is normal, but I want to check the fluid level to be sure that this is not the problem. There is a small tank behind the passenger side rear wheel well. Is this the holding tank for the hydrolic fluid for the levelers? I could use some educated advice on how to check and add fluid. Also, 2 of my levelers go down at an angle, rather than straight down. What causes this and is it a problem? Thanks for your help. By the way HWH levelers on a Ford chassis.
joelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 07:24 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

HWH jacks are on a pivot. they will swing in and out, not forward, rearward. The fluid level should be checked with the jacks retracted. As far as the location, listen for the location of the pump when running the jacks. The reservoir for the fluid will be attached to the pump. There will be a vent/cap on the top of the reservoir, unscrew it and it may have a built on dip stick. If not use a screwdriver and put it into the reservoir about an inch and you should see fluid on the end of the screwdriver. If needed this is where you fill the reservoir. If it is red use dextron, if it looks like motor oil use #10 motor oil.
camper33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 06:52 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

I thought they might pivot, but could not confirm it anywhere. I was afraid that I would damage them if I tried to move them. I'll have my wife operate the jacks while I listen for the pump. Thank you so much for the information. This forum is the greatest.
Old 05-03-2012, 04:44 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

My Adventurer is on a P30 chassis. The jacks fold from front to back, not side to side. The reservoir is behind the front grill in front but below the radiator. It can be serviced by opening the front access panel.
Old 05-04-2012, 06:49 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

I found mine. It is behind the passenger side rear wheel well. I checked it and the fluid level appears to be a little low. It shows on the dip stick, but only at the tip. How much should I add?
Old 05-04-2012, 08:17 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Bring it up so there is about a 1/4 to1/2 inch on the stick.
Old 05-05-2012, 05:27 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

When checking your HWH system, ensure that jacks are up and slide is in. If you over fill by accident the excess will flow out of the tank's breather cap. Believe me, I know!
Lt46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 11:05 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

I overfilled while filling and it overflowed onto me. Will this damage the system or will the excess just be forced out?
Old 05-08-2012, 04:21 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

It won't hurt anything but it is messy. Just suck out the excess with a turkey baster or something similar.
Old 05-08-2012, 03:54 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

No harm done-------But, don't cook your turkey with that oil.