Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-05-2014, 02:54 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

96 Adventurer 37RW

We currently own a 87 dolphin 27' (our first motorhome) and are looking for a upgrade.

I am looking at an Adventurer, 9 years newer and about the same mileage (91k).

Anything I should know about this?

We really like the interior, the exterior is in good shape. Still have a couple more visits and more thorough investigation before I am sure.

Any good or bad points would be appreciated!

Jeff Walls
Lancaster, PA
Old 02-06-2014, 02:33 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Winnie makes a good coach but at that age, overall condition is the primary consideration. If it was properly maintained and kept sealed and dry then you are way ahead regardless of brand.

What chassis does it have under it? I'm assuming it is 37' long (37RW) and gas powered? If so, then probably a Ford 460 with a tag axle like mine.
Nick-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 06:11 AM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

It is the Ford chassis with tag on the 37'.

We are just starting to look, there are several more visits before we commit. I have the inspection form from another forum printed and am making additions to it for this coach.

Thanks for the response.
Old 02-07-2014, 10:47 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Be sure to check the basement frames for rust and the rear cross member that goes over the rear axle for stress cracks. It should be visible by looking forward from the basement compartment just behind the rear wheels. The tend to crack at the top in line with where the truck chassis sits below them.
Old 02-07-2014, 01:33 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

The older F53 Ford engine & chassis have a few quirks but nothing to make it a deal breaker. The stock exhaust manifolds have a bad habit of cracking and breaking off the mounting bolts. If it has been upgraded to tubular headers that is a plus. The original fuel pumps all died an early death but at this point most all of those pumps have been replaced with the improved version. Finally, the brakes are less than inspiring on the bigger 460 chassis especially if they have not been maintained, but a rebuild of the whole brake system will get them back to "decent".
Nick-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 01:46 PM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

Thanks for the help!
Old 02-07-2014, 04:08 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

If it were me, I'd be holding out for something on the next generation of the F53 chassis - '99 or newer, or a W series workhorse - '01 or newer. Those chassis offer so much more than their earlier brothers. (And yuck to a tag, had one, worked fine, but I like life without it.)

But I drive a lot, the chassis matters to me. A '96 will have a slide, you'll like that for sure. It does have the optional slide, right?

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 05:53 PM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

I really would like to move up to a 2000+ but financially this is the best we can do for this upgrade.

It does have a slide yes. Another reason we like it. Our 27' is really cramped. Plus the storage is amazing compared to what we have now.
Old 02-08-2014, 12:19 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Just be mindfull that weight capacity may be limited with weight from the slide and jacks on that year. The chassis were not that robust then and had not caught up to the added weight from putting a slide and the jacks to stabilize them on a coach.

Being in PA rusted frames can be a big concern too. The last one I saw brought down here to Florida was so badly rusted from winter driving on salted roads that you could reach under the bins and such and pull off good sized chunks of rotted metal from underneath.

Tags
vent