Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-05-2014, 09:54 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

96 Adventurer 34rq manual slide retract

My hwh slide /leg motor fried and I'm stuck with the slide out. I understand that there is a hook on each of the slide (inside the couch ) and under the kitchen cabinet and a strap is used to winch it closed after opening t handle on pump solenoid? I don't have a strap supplied and wonder is this the same as a tie down ratchet strap at home depot? Is it an extreme duty type or can I buy one anywhere? Maybe all this info is wrong as I don't have a manual and its the long weekend!
Old 07-06-2014, 06:41 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

You've got the procedure down and the strap and rachet are the tools needed to pull that big slide in. I'm assuming the mechanical racheting device found on heavier cargo straps might/should do the trick. Do not expect it to come in easy. A little help pushing from the outside will be helpful.
My strapping and racheting device remind me of the winch used on a boat trailer to pull a boat out of the water. Good luck.
Lt46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 08:22 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Also, have you checked all the fuses at the HWH pump? What do you mean by "fried" did you see smoke, smell smoke? Often, a loose wiring connection or fuse is the problem.
Old 07-06-2014, 09:03 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Take a look at these two pictures, they should help you locate to fuses and electrical connections I'm talking about.
Old 07-06-2014, 09:44 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

1st off, man is yours clean! I checked the 10a fuse , it was good, I tapped the motoe while the DW was operating the joystaic and it would turn, somewhat , but not pump. This all started when I knocked the tank off the pump housing. Mine is rear of the R/R wheel and semi exposed . I had that repaired and re-installed and was cycling the legs and slide to purge any air when it just stopped.
Old 07-06-2014, 10:40 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Check your batteries. Sounds like you might have run them down with the cycling. Maybe overheated the HWH pump too.
I hope your repair went well because I had to eventually replace my motor/tank assembly and I can tell you that was not inexpensive! ($580.00) and I did the labor.
Old 07-06-2014, 04:37 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Pulled the motor and tested it , it's dead. Finally got the thumb screws open on the solenoid but still can't retract the slide
Old 07-06-2014, 09:09 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Trust me, you're better off getting your motor rebuilt. Motors for our generation are hard to come by. I did get one motor, that was told was direct replacement, and it wasn't even close. Ended up having to replace the entire motor/pump/tank assembly for big $$$ as noted above.
Old 07-09-2014, 11:28 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

YES!!!! Got my motor rebuilt (90.00) and re-installed and it works! Now we can head out on our 3 weeks through Waterton/Glacier/Yellowstone parks!
Old 07-09-2014, 11:31 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Angry

Also still waiting for Winnebago to respond to my email re: purchasing a slide winch assy.
Old 07-09-2014, 04:01 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt46 View Post
You've got the procedure down and the strap and rachet are the tools needed to pull that big slide in. I'm assuming the mechanical racheting device found on heavier cargo straps might/should do the trick. Do not expect it to come in easy. A little help pushing from the outside will be helpful.
My strapping and racheting device remind me of the winch used on a boat trailer to pull a boat out of the water. Good luck.

So while waiting for the motor to get built I bought a 2t come-a-long. Hooked her up and the slide came in about 2 inches . Then the hook on the kitchen side let loose and slipped off. Tried 2 more times and finally gave up. Both solenoids were opened as per 6 turns clockwise (until they stop).
When I got the good motor re-installed it all worked (i retightened the solenoids) but I'll always be worried about another slide failure . Iknow 2t is going to be more pull than the o.e. winch. Not sure if there is more to it than what I did? I think with o.e. there is a wingnut used to hold the strap to the bolt under the sink? The come a long had a wider hook that wouldn't allow a nut on top , but it was loaded with stress/pull before it slipped. I would have thought the slide would have come in easier.
Old 07-10-2014, 05:45 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Fortunately, I've only had to manually bring my slide in once. I can tell you that it comes in verrry slowly with much strain on the ratchet. Halfway through the ordeal a couple of friends stopped by and they assisted by pushing on the exterior while I cranked and it seemed to help. Remember, we're trying to duplicate a couple thousand of hydraulic psi when doing things manually. I'm sure being level or maybe even high on the slide side might be beneficial for this process...that's a ton of weight to move!
Good for you getting your motor rebuilt! The hassle I went through in trying to get a replacement motor was a real PITA.
Enjoy your trip!

Tags
manual, slide, vent