Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-27-2005, 04:34 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

In my past motorhomes I have installed the pump conversion to pump antifreeze through the lines.
Because of the pump location I really don't see how to get to the pump, much less install the kit.
Has anyone gone through this? Any suggestions?

I have blown out the lines, but I really don't have much faith in that. Although I won't split a line, I could be replacing a toilet valve next spring.
We use the mh year round ( some weekends, maybe an escape to the south for a week ) , so I don't think taking it to have antifreeze pumped in every couple of weeks would be economical.
Mushroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 04:34 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

In my past motorhomes I have installed the pump conversion to pump antifreeze through the lines.
Because of the pump location I really don't see how to get to the pump, much less install the kit.
Has anyone gone through this? Any suggestions?

I have blown out the lines, but I really don't have much faith in that. Although I won't split a line, I could be replacing a toilet valve next spring.
We use the mh year round ( some weekends, maybe an escape to the south for a week ) , so I don't think taking it to have antifreeze pumped in every couple of weeks would be economical.
Old 10-27-2005, 08:45 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I have blown out the lines, but I really don't have much faith in that </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Curious... But for me, using air pressure to winterize is the only way to go. The only pink I use is about 1/2 gal. to fill all the traps.
Old 10-27-2005, 12:46 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Hi Ho: I agree with Troth. I have been winterizing our cabin in Wyoming for about 18 years using that technique. It gets cold there. -40 deg. F happens almost every winter. Just make sure that each valve is opened and blows just air. It doesn't hurt to go around twice to make sure. We dump the water in the water heater before starting. It then takes about 10 minutes and we know there is no water to freeze. By the way, the pink stuff also freezes at -40 deg. We use antifreeze in the traps (ethylene glycol).

Winterizing the motor home is simple compared with the cabin.
dirko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 01:44 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Mushroom - Portabelo or Shitake? .. here is my two cents ... duo centavalo. A friend of mine followed the manual and blew out the lines according to the owners manual of his 2002 Journey. He used no antifreeze except in the traps. That resulted in a cracked frozin line beneath the shower or someplace in that vacinity. Cost ... mucho denearo to have the dealer fix.

As far as econimics .. RV antifreezethe is the least expensive item you will buy for the rig to keep your lines from freezing. In the north east, RV antifreeze from a boat delaer is about $3.50 a gallon.

I use four gallons and end up with some left over. Lots of insurance for $14.00. I happen to have a siphon line at the intake side of my pump so all that is required is opening and closing the necessary valves, draining the fresh water tank, draining the water heater, by passing the water heater, disconnecting the ice cube tray feed, and using the pump to drain the lines to all the faucets. I then place the gallon or two onto the siphon feed tube and open each faucet till I see pink. About two cups of anti freeze in each trap a gallon in the black and a gallon in the gray tanks plus the recommended odor fighting chemicals and I am done. It is recommended to leave the toilet open to the black tank.

Knock on wood .. or is it now fiberglass .. in any event, I've not had a problem.

good luck... Frank

2001 Adventurer 32V
FrankieJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 03:34 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Thanks Frankie..that is precicely my problem.
The pump is near the center of the coach in the basement. the water tank is directly below it. I would dearly love to install one of those valve kits so I can use the pump to add antifreeze.
Problem is I can't seem to get to it and I was hoping someoen with a similar coach had already worked it out.

As to just blowing it out..I did, and I still don't trust it. No matter how long I let it blow it still sounds like a gurgle hear and there. I'm not betting the plumbing on it. The past owners kept it in a heated garage.
Old 10-29-2005, 04:59 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Mushroom...on my 94 Vectra I had the dealer move the water pump to a position next to the compartment door and add the antifreeze siphon hose....worked well for a little $$$...RKL
RKL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 06:50 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Thanks, that looks to be a reasonable way around my problem. I knew SOMEONE had been through this .