Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-17-2008, 03:07 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

'83 Chieftain w/Chevy 454 on C30 chassis. Drove it home, only issue was battery needed charging. First trip from home went OK, stopped about 4 miles out, cranked back fine, then drove about 25 miles in loop back home. Three days later it will not crank. Both batteries check good. Plugged it up and tried the momentary assistance, hooked a jump start charger to the chassis battery, still same result. When the switch is engaged I hear a clicking sound. I traced this to some type relay mounted just in front of the carb. Anyone had this happen? Any idea if that relay could be my issue?

I posted in the Vintage section but then checked the title. Not really an attention getter.

Thanks for looking
Terry
tnau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 03:07 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

'83 Chieftain w/Chevy 454 on C30 chassis. Drove it home, only issue was battery needed charging. First trip from home went OK, stopped about 4 miles out, cranked back fine, then drove about 25 miles in loop back home. Three days later it will not crank. Both batteries check good. Plugged it up and tried the momentary assistance, hooked a jump start charger to the chassis battery, still same result. When the switch is engaged I hear a clicking sound. I traced this to some type relay mounted just in front of the carb. Anyone had this happen? Any idea if that relay could be my issue?

I posted in the Vintage section but then checked the title. Not really an attention getter.

Thanks for looking
Terry
Old 08-17-2008, 05:22 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Sounds like your starter solenoid - and, yes, it could cause that. They're fairly cheap (under $20) from your auto parts store.

FMCA; WIT; FCOA; Good Sam; Passport
porscheracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 12:52 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Hi Ho: You weren't very definitive about the "clicking sound". I assume that you measure your batteries with a voltmeter (probably not under load). This doesn't tell you very much. What you need to do is to check the batteries with a substantial load, e.g. headlights with blower motor etc. If the voltage is substantially lower than 11 to 12 volts, the batteries are bad even if they measure over 12 volts with no load.

If the clicking occurs when the starter motor is engaged, this is a good clue that the batteries are bad. What happens is that the voltage is enough to pull in the solenoid, but then drops because of the starter motor load to less than is required to pull in the solenoid, so it releases with a "click". Since there is no load, it now tries to pull in again...etc. etc.

Check the batteries under load and let us know

Good luck, Dirk
dirko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 12:54 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Hi Ho again: By the way, connecting an external battery to "jump" will not necessarily solve the bad battery problem because the bad battery just pulls the voltage down anyway due to voltage drops in the jump cable.

An afterthought, Dirk
dirko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 02:08 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Hey Dirk and Norm, thanks for the replies. I checked the batteries with a load tester and came out OK. One is only a month old. The clicking sound is in the relay that's on top of the motor. There's no sound from the solenoid. I had my DW turn the key while I was under the coach and the starter makes no sound. The relay or whatever it is sits on top and doesn't make the sound until the key is cranked over, not in the on position. When I get a chance this weekend I'll try to see if the relay comes apart or can be jumped. It's serious because it's wired in with at least 10 guage wire.

Thanks
Terry
Old 08-18-2008, 02:22 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Terry, Check all of your ground wires. Sometimes they build up corrosion and the 12 volt won't work right. Good Luck, Indiana Journey
indiana journey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 04:51 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Terry - likely suspects (as mentioned) are the starter solenoid, or possibly a loose connection on the positive terminal of the solenoid, positive or negative connections on the battery (or something in between possibly.) Check the voltage at the solenoid while a helper turns the engine over.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 03:35 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for all the ideas gang.

Found my problem today. There is a magnetic relay in series with the starter. That's the clicking I heard. Carquest Relay Part # RY117

Replace it and started right up.

Thanks
Terry